Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2015, 04:19 PM   #15
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
DONT DO IT! (Just kidding) To each their own.

After 6 Class A's we went the other way and love it. 5th wheels have more room, more amenities, less cost to maintain. My new 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie truck is more comfortable and has more amenities than any cockpit in the Gas or DP Class A coaches I owned.
I have no problem pulling any hill with my diesel truck and 40' 5er.

If you plan on towing a car, set up and take down is virtually the same.
5th wheels have power levelers just like Class A's.
We can access the bathroom and kitchen in our 5er if we stop. I personally couldn't access that in our coaches when I was driving unless we stopped. Walking distance from the truck to the 5er bathroom is just a couple of feet further than it was in the coach.

I have more storage in my 40' 5th wheel than I did in any of my 40' coaches. Everything that was in my basement storage compartments in my 40' DP fit in my one big front compartment in my 5er with room to spare.

You will hear lots of arguments from people how the Class A has this and that. However, having just left a Class A 2 months ago for the truck and 5er, I can tell you, I experienced both now in a very short time. Most things are equal, some have a few more plusses either way depending on what you buy.
None of my 40' Class A's had a fireplace, big screen TV, huge kitchen with peninsula,
and a King size bed.

All things being equal, it was the added maintenance, repairs and cost of ownership that killed the Class A dream for us. The last coach, I spent $17,000 in 1.5 years on it. Too much for us and didn't want to look forward continued issues.

This is just my opinion and what works for us.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2015, 05:56 PM   #16

Great way to get rid of the family...let them walk around / go to the bathroom while under way...probably the worst reason to buy a MH...

Old 11-12-2015, 06:53 PM   #17

I went from a 27 foot motorhome no slides to a 36 foot 5th wheel with three slides and the back to a 27 foot motorhome with no slides, then a 33 with no slides and now this one with 3 slides. In my opinion the motorhome is the way to go but that's just me. I do like the ability to start up and leave if I ever get in a location I want to leave without going outside. Haven't had that happen and it probably won't but.... Get the one that has the best floor plan for you. Presumably we spend more time parked than traveling.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:56 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have had both class As and 5ers and are full timing in a 40' 5th wheel as it has more storage than any class A we have seen.

Ken
Old 11-12-2015, 09:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerileeb View Post
Inthe70s we just started and didn't know we'd like it so much. Did you buy new or used?
Used. Wanted to see if we liked it. I'm now considering a newer class a as we now know exactly the features that we want and we are absolutely sold on the class a.
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:40 AM   #20

Pulled a great 5th wheel for 7 years and really enjoyed our time in it. But, the set up and tear down was getting old and we wanted more comfortable travels. So we bought a 40' DP and love the ride, ease of setup, comfort and storage. When I retired we planned on using it more and that has proven to be the case. There are no wrong answers it's really just a case of what works best for you. Our floor plan rocks, we are self sufficient and can setup without leaving the coach if need be.

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 11-13-2015, 06:45 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
No intention of going full time, we have owned the 5ver in the past. we travel three months out of the year (when school is out) Plus we don't spend a lot of time in one location. Class A was a better choice for us. Being only 26 footer we do not use a toad. I drive this anyplace we need to go without a problem. We don't haul a lot of junk with us so the limited space is not a problem. Prevents buying any more junk when traveling if we have limited storage.
Both are good choices if they work for you.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:59 AM   #22
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerileeb View Post
We are new to rving and love it. We are planning a trip out west (we are from pa) this winter for a few months. The problem is storage. We have hardly any. We just bought it , our first trip was August. Has anyone gone from 5th wheel to class A? Thoughts both + & - would be appreciated. Also my husband and I are traveling with 2 goldens. Thanks
What is your current set up? You don't describe.

Brand, model, year of 5er and tow vehicle?

If you have a 26' fifth wheel, I can see why you need more space.
We went from a 40' DP to a 40' 5th wheel and gained in all areas as described in my previous post.

If you are traveling with two large dogs in a truck, I can also see where that can get old real fast as well.
My daughter sitting in the back seat of the truck doesn't yell at everything that moves and doesn't slobber all over the place! LOL
Old 11-13-2015, 07:24 AM   #23

In my mind a fiver is the worst choice of the bunch. Still stuck with a big truck as a daily driver but cannot use it to load a boat, canoe or similar toys. With our MH we pull a towed we can put them on and get decent milage when just running around to sight see. With a TT I could play king of the road in my big truck and still get to the launch sites with toys. ;-)
Old 11-13-2015, 01:02 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Went from a 40' 5er to 37' motor home. Although we had more room in the 5er, IMHO traveling in the MH is better. I hated to have to pull over for "breaks". Now don't have to. Big benefit to me, Wife can get up and make sandwiches and again...no stopping. Also to her (much more important), she crawls in bed and takes a nap along the way. Couldn't do the in the 5er (legally). Everyone is different, what's important to one may not be to another. Weigh each option and make the decision on what's best for you. Best of luck
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:51 PM   #25

We had a 32' class c w/1 slide for 10 years (1997-2007). Traded for a 38' 5th wheel w/ 3 slides, bath & a 1/2, really nice. Had it for 5 years. Missed the MH the first trip out. We just recent bought an '07 Bounder 38N diesel pusher.
Yes, owning the 5er is less expensive than the MH.
I like being able to just get in & move the MH if I need to, 5er.....have to hook up, secure everything then unhook. Easier to stop at a rest area for the night in the mh, don't have to get out for anything except the pre-trip in the morning. If it's raining when we get to our destination, wait it out in the mh. We'll even start a meal while underway. OR go back & make a pot of coffee.
You get the drift......we love the mh.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:07 PM   #26

We just traded our 43' Toy Hauler and RAM 3500 Laramie Limited in on a used 40' 2007 Tiffin Phaeton. Took our first trip this past weekend and so far we like the MH much better. First is the awesome view you get driving down the road in the MH. I have driven I40 between Knoxville and Ashville NC many times and have never seen the sights I viewed on this trip. That big panoramic windshield and high seating position are a big plus in my mind. We towed the 5th wheel from east TN north to upper Michigan and south to the FL keys so certainly had the full user experience. The view from the drivers seat is better in the MH hands down.

Cannot even compare the noise level when driving with a rear engine diesel pusher. Having the drive train 40' behind you makes it way easier to talk and enjoy each others company than having it either in front of you (Pickup) or between you (Class A Gas) and really adds to the enjoyment of travel to me. Also having 10,000 to 15,000 lbs. of towing capacity is also a big bonus.

I have a 55' canopy at our year round camp spot on the lake and the MH is WAY EASIER to get in and out of the canopy. The 55 degree wheel cut on the MH allows me to pull in and out in 30 seconds without ever backing up. The 43' Toy Hauler was a chore, had to pull into the spot next to mine then back it across to the spot behind me then pull it in. SO if either of those spots were full I was stuck.... Not good

As a side note our first RV was a 32' Class C on the Ford E450 Chassis and it was ok but everything was small. Counter in kitchen, bath, shower fit me, etc.... Plus the V10 really roars when pulling a hill with a toad, it will get you there but much more tiring to me. I prefer both the 5th wheel and the Class A to the Class C.

The ability to move around while on the road is another big plus to me although I know some feel you should be belted in at all times. Not me..... All things in life have some risk and I am not that risk adverse. Plus your running 60 to 65 mph and hopefully are keeping lots of room in between you and whatever is in front of you.

I like the wide open floor plan of the 4 slide MH which really opens up the interior space quite a bit over the more chopped up space of our toy hauler. Way more usable space at least in the 2 models I owned.

Storage wise obviously the Toy Hauler had a 12' garage and large compartment under the bedroom/bath area. So overall had tons of storage but in my opinion I like the storage on the MH better. Especially the slide out tray which can be accessed from either side.

Last is the overall look and feel of a Tiffin class MH compared to a Heartland 4100 King 5er... Like the difference between a track home and a custom built home. Everything is higher quality and more user friendly. From the wet bay to the power bay there is not comparison to the fit and finish or functionality of the two. Now I have never used a high end 5er so I know they exist but then the savings of the 5th wheel are no longer there.

That is my 2 cents having just made the switch. We are looking forward to a month long trip with the family out west soon before my son goes off to college and cannot imagine going back to the cab of a pickup at this point to make the trip.

That being said, buy what you like/want and enjoy it to the fullest!
Old 11-13-2015, 06:26 PM   #27

Keep in mind, traveling/RVing in a MH is the most expensive way to enjoy the lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefly1 View Post
Pulled a great 5th wheel for 7 years and really enjoyed our time in it. But, the set up and tear down was getting old and we wanted more comfortable travels. So we bought a 40' DP and love the ride, ease of setup, comfort and storage. When I retired we planned on using it more and that has proven to be the case. There are no wrong answers it's really just a case of what works best for you. Our floor plan rocks, we are self sufficient and can setup without leaving the coach if need be.

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Our feelings match yours. The decision-maker was a trip to AK in our 40'5er. I was 70 then, and the setting-up for one night and preparing to get underway the next morning kept us both worn-out. Some days we didn't even feel like sightseeing.
When we got home we made the decision to buy a MH. It took us 7 months to decide on our "perfect" MH, but when we accomplished that, we had a MH within 2 weeks.
Last year we went to the Canadian Maritimes for 3 months. When stopping for the night, just push one button and the automatic leveling did the rest, while I was hooking up the utilities. Some nights I never messed with the utilities unless it was time to dump the tanks. Next morning was the reverse.
Traveling is much more restful and convenient.
Our MH does not have the storage of our 5er, but we learned to reduce stuff, and now we have empty space.

I must agree with Grassy. Buying a MH so your loved ones can unbuckle, get up and walk around while underway is the worst reason imaginable.
I had a '76 MH many years ago. My wife(then) got up to go to the bathroom - against my wish (city driving). A man ran a stoplight, I slammed on the brakes, but T-boned him. My wife came flying down the isle, bounced off the dash and hit the windshield. She was severely brusied, strained muscles throughout, and TWO broken wrists. EMT said she was very lucky. The police said she became a 130# human missile when I hit the brakes.
Those who think they can avoid that scenario are fooling themselves.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:34 PM   #28

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We moved from a 37' 5er to a class A and are so glad we did. DH was tired of the hookup and unhooking of the trailer in incilmate weather. I love having the access to the bathroom without having to stop often. Yes, they are more expensive to maintain, but we are sticklers about maintenance and that helps. All I can suggest is look at lots and lots and test drive many before you decide...

Good luck!!

Tags
5th wheel, class a