Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2015, 07:13 PM   #29

I have read that 5th wheels have more storage space but that's not the way it worked for us. Our 5th wheel was 36 (if memory serves me correctly) and had a large storage area under or near the front that was accessible from three sides. When if/filled it was near impossible to see or find what I was looking for. My Journey has storage compartments down both sides and one that goes across the RV and can be accessed from either side and good for any long things you may want to carry. My opinion is these smaller storage spaces in my motorhome offer more usable space. Just my opinion and not comparing the same length units.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #30

We went from a 35 ft 5th Wheel to a 39 ft MH. Although we loved our 5th Wheel, the Motorhome has far more storage than the 5th Wheel. We carry a lot more and don't normally have all of our storage space filled. The best selling point for us was when we travelled across the country in the 5th Wheel, and stopped for a rest break, the 5th Wheel was too hot to go into. We would run in and grab some food from the refrigerator, and get out as quickly as we could, sweating. If we stopped for the night, it took a long time to get the trailer cooled off. While traveling, we were cramped in the truck with 3 dogs. Now, in the MH, the dogs have room to spread out, we can stop and eat lunch in comfort. The MH is cooled off already, if we stop for the night or get to our destination. My wife can grab a drink from the refrigerator while we're on the road. We have far more room, but partly because the MH is bigger than the 5th Wheel it replaced. We won't trade back to a 5th Wheel, although we still look at them at the RV shows and find them to be really nice and tempting. Also, although I was pretty good at backing the 5th Wheel, I find backing the MH to be much easier, which stresses my wife much less. That alone is worth it.

John219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:35 PM   #31

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
What is your current set up? You don't describe.

Brand, model, year of 5er and tow vehicle?

If you have a 26' fifth wheel, I can see why you need more space.
We went from a 40' DP to a 40' 5th wheel and gained in all areas as described in my previous post.

If you are traveling with two large dogs in a truck, I can also see where that can get old real fast as well.
My daughter sitting in the back seat of the truck doesn't yell at everything that moves and doesn't slobber all over the place! LOL
Les, we have a forest river, shasta phoenix 35 ft. We drive an F250. The space inside is nice , limited on the kitchen cabinet space and small fridge. I do have an issue with the rv. Every trip something breaks, We have had it since August and taken 3 short trips. The rod in the closet broke (husband made a stronger one). the track in the shower fell off and the shower door came off. The drawer in the den area fell out (while traveling) and doesn't fit back in track, (track bent). Lots of little annoying things, but the biggest one is when we took it in to get fixed, they told us our rv is uneven. It sits 2" higher on one side than the other. Not sure how that can be fixed???
Old 11-14-2015, 04:44 PM   #32

Forest River Owners Club
Been looking at MH while enjoying the 5er. I have to agree with you that I think they are made m,uch nicer. Mine ( forest river, shasta phoenix) has had so many things wrong. Little things like drawers falling out, curtain rods ]pulling out of wall, track in shower breaking and door coming off, rod in closet breaking.....They are not made very well at all! We will take a big loss if we trade in now. F250 is about 6 months old and rv 3 months! If we found a great deal now we would trade it in!
Old 11-14-2015, 06:02 PM   #33
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Like I said, it all depends what you buy.
Rather than going new, I opted for an older (2010) that was of good quality (from what I looked at) and in good condition.
It has everything our coaches had and way more. Of course, not everyone wants a 40' anything. However, it has everything we want to enjoy being away from home.

The deals are out there if you look!

If you aren't happy with your 5th wheel, fix the small things and sell it.

I'll PM you and let you know what I paid for our Cardinal below. Too low a price to let anyone else know as I might sell it! LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1447545369.379285.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	111946

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1447545398.072962.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	111947

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1447545431.480652.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	111948

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1447545458.273970.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	111949

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1447545477.471388.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	111950

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1447545507.536512.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	111951

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1447545531.136593.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	111952
Old 11-15-2015, 07:21 AM   #34

Went from a 33' Cardinal 5th wheel to Tiffin 36LA. The motorhome is light years ahead of the trailer in terms of quality and storage other than kitchen cabinet and counter space. Not stuck with a huge truck when parked either. Travelling is so much nicer with the panoramic views, ability to do things while in motion, ease of setup, generator operation during travel etc
Old 11-15-2015, 08:00 AM   #35

We went from a 38' 5th to a 36' MH for medical reason. We never had anything break on the 5th or, so far, on the MH. MH has a lot less interior/exterior storage(we had a lot of storage in our truck) and is not laid out as well as the 5th(no "office" area for computer, files, printer etc.; smaller kitchen storage). We feel the setup is about the same except that the MH has automatic levelers(could have bought them for 5th). The MH combo costs significantly more than the 5th combo. The MH combo you have to worry about 2 engines, insure 2 motor vehicles etc. That being said, we were very happy in our 5th and very happy in our MH. It takes us longer to hitch/unhitch our toad than to unhitch/hitch the 5th. More wires, cables, Protect-A-Tow to put on plus towing 4 down you need to also spend time getting the physical car ready to tow. You also can't back up a MH with the toad attached.

I feel it is more a decision $$$ than anything else. Doing a reasonably apples to apples I figured, buying new for everything, the 5th combo was about $90K less than the MH.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:48 AM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess you're getting the general direction many folks have gone - from a TT/5er to MH. Might be because you're on a MH forum. With that in mind let me give you a couple of points from our experience.

-When you make a mistake with the TT/5er tough to unhook and backup. Got to "wiggle around" to undo the mistake turn. Did this a couple of times with a TT and hated every wiggle. With the MH, I go out drop the toad and undo the mistake.

-As you're driving down the road and detect an air pressure problem and you need to add air (TPMS installed). Now I simple find a spot where I can stop, fire up the gen, plug in my compressor and add air.

-We dry camp in Key West. Every few days we run in the slides disconnect the satellite dish, go dump/reload fresh water and we are done. I've seen the TT/5ers do this and it takes a LOT more work.

These are just our observations.

PS: We've enjoyed each of our RVs - TT or MH as it enables time to be with our grand kids.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:10 AM   #37

Funny, this thread really supports what we have noticed over the last 10 years of RV'ing... MHs are for old folks that can no longer handle TTs / 5th..and are usually in the situation where they can afford such a rig... The last time we stopped at a wally mart the ages of the 2 MHs beside us were 84 and 79. We dread the day that we will be forced to go the same route...before everyone screams,. I know there are exceptions. We really wonder if some of these folks should be driving at all...

Presently we pull our 5th with a class 5 Freightliner... basically the best of all the worlds. I am disabled with spinal issues in 2 places.. I have yet so far to find any pick up or class A, B, or C that has the quality seat that are in my rig...I also find it hard to see how the hook up / disconnect of a trailer is so onerous. No, we don't do either in the middle of the night so that isn't an issue..

The nice this is that campuing goes from the tent to a guy I know that has a 45 foot pusher with a 30 foot stacker trailer and everything in between. What is most important is to find a layout that you and your DW can live with....figure out what you will be doing with it..then build the platform that supports your lifestyle. Nothing is "best" ..only best for you...like what we found..

Good luck..
Old 11-15-2015, 10:00 AM   #38

Ford Super Duty Owner
grassy - you make some good points and some really poor, broad based accusations. I'll let others figure out which is which but for my part - it was rude and a small minded opinion that simply didn't need to made.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:08 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
grassy - you make some good points and some really poor, broad based accusations. I'll let others figure out which is which but for my part - it was rude and a small minded opinion that simply didn't need to made.
Ben,

Just our experience over 10 years of running the roads..and what we have seen. Your mileage may vary. When asked for opinions, not all may fall into what you consider acceptable...but that is what is so great with these types of boards. The interesting thing about opinions is that experience can change them.

Regardless of what anyone says or suggests, the OPs have to find what they like and a platform that will suit them best while they are traveling the road...

cheers

Grassy
Old 11-15-2015, 10:26 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
Funny, this thread really supports what we have noticed over the last 10 years of RV'ing... MHs are for old folks that can no longer handle TTs / 5th..and are usually in the situation where they can afford such a rig... The last time we stopped at a wally mart the ages of the 2 MHs beside us were 84 and 79. We dread the day that we will be forced to go the same route...before everyone screams,. I know there are exceptions. We really wonder if some of these folks should be driving at all...

Good luck..

We know a lot of people that have coaches, but only a couple of them are over 70.
My experience at the odd Walmart we stay at is definitely not the same as yours. I'm only 60, and we went with the Coach for convience and comfort especially while traveling
Traps90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:53 AM   #41
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
The OP's thread is about whether to go to Class A from 5th wheel, not about age of drivers and ability. Heck, I know some 50 year olds that shouldn't be driving. That discussion is about health and ability.

I think it comes down to a few things and it will vary with everyone.
1. Convenience (needs)
2. Comforts (wants)
3. Affordability (finances)
4. Ability (health)

Not everyone has to be concerned with the criteria mentioned. If I didn't have to worry about finances, I'd still likely be driving a 40' DP, however, as a single income family, I have to pay attention to it as I still have a child at home and in school. I still have to have and maintain a house, extra utilities, extra car for the wife, extra insurances, college tuitions, etc.
I need to have a truck for work, so having a 5th wheel makes the only sense for me. AND having had many Class A's, I've crunched the numbers, done my guzinta's and my dividebys and I've proven to myself on paper, it's far cheaper to carry the truck and fifth wheel. I don't care what anyone says.

Not every RV'r has the same demands as me so you will get varying opinions on the reasons everyone picks what they do.
For us, the truck and 5th wheel meets within all 4 points I mentioned above.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:56 AM   #42

We had 2 fivers. Went to a 40' MH. Like sitting higher up while traveling down the road. Kind of like sitting in the catbird seat. I see a lot more. Handling is a toss up. Some things better and some worse. Setting up the same. Last fiver had auto level.
The daily driver of a one ton Dooley got to be difficult. Like the 100 gallon fuel tank. fill once a day or day and a half.
To me the biggest downside is the cost of operation and maintenance. The Dooley , service -$100.00 every 5000 Mi. Take to any dealer for service. MH. $400-500.00 every 10,000 miles for a oil change. Both + fuel filters. With the MH. is a issue of finding a reputable service place can be a issue. Most do not take appointments. Bring and leave and will get too it when we can. With Dooley , my experience was make a apointment . In and out in a hour +_-! Maintenance is more Expensive in a MH.
One day I wish I had the fiver back, the next the MH.
SEE SIG. We are going on five years of FULLTIMING. Not quitting soon.
IMHO!!!!!!

Tags
5th wheel, class a