Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-15-2015, 11:43 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
bigben's Avatar
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 700
poppopc - Nice coach - real nice - absolutely LOVE the livability. I get an itch for a bit more room but then look at our grand kids that travel so much with us and how they look forward to being in their bunks. The itch goes away. Our grands see the bunk beds as their personal space with us and truly enjoy the time with us. We spend about 4 months a year in their area and about 2 months a year with them in the coach. Sometime - as the grand kids get older and won't want to spend so much time with us - we can graduate to sort of coach you have. But for now, our Challenger 37TB is super for our wants.

To the op - this is an example of needs that various owners have. While we don't full time, we are in our coach about 7 months a year. Very comfy for us - bunks, residential fridge, 1.5 baths, king size bed, large shower and very important for us a washer dryer, 5 tvs, satellite tv, lots of fresh, gray and black water storage. And as we run down the road - Pappaw (that's me) gets the word "got to go potty". At which point, the kids can make their way back to the forward commode or I will pull off.

This is a gasser and absolute meets our needs.
__________________

__________________
US Army Retired - loving it in our Challenger 37TB.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2015, 12:01 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
Like I said, it all depends what you buy.
Rather than going new, I opted for an older (2010) that was of good quality (from what I looked at) and in good condition.
It has everything our coaches had and way more. Of course, not everyone wants a 40' anything. However, it has everything we want to enjoy being away from home.

The deals are out there if you look!

If you aren't happy with your 5th wheel, fix the small things and sell it.

I'll PM you and let you know what I paid for our Cardinal below. Too low a price to let anyone else know as I might sell it! LOL
Nice unit. Not sure why you would want to sell it other than upgrade.
__________________

__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 02:07 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Traps90's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
The OP's thread is about whether to go to Class A from 5th wheel, not about age of drivers and ability. Heck, I know some 50 year olds that shouldn't be driving. That discussion is about health and ability.

I think it comes down to a few things and it will vary with everyone.
1. Convenience (needs)
2. Comforts (wants)
3. Affordability (finances)
4. Ability (health)

Not everyone has to be concerned with the criteria mentioned. If I didn't have to worry about finances, I'd still likely be driving a 40' DP, however, as a single income family, I have to pay attention to it as I still have a child at home and in school. I still have to have and maintain a house, extra utilities, extra car for the wife, extra insurances, college tuitions, etc.
I need to have a truck for work, so having a 5th wheel makes the only sense for me. AND having had many Class A's, I've crunched the numbers, done my guzinta's and my dividebys and I've proven to myself on paper, it's far cheaper to carry the truck and fifth wheel. I don't care what anyone says.

Not every RV'r has the same demands as me so you will get varying opinions on the reasons everyone picks what they do.
For us, the truck and 5th wheel meets within all 4 points I mentioned above.

You summed it up really nicely Dogpatch, needs and wants are the driving factors. As long as I was working and needed a truck, it made absolutely no sense to have a Class A DP. Now that we are retired and fulltiming that has changed. For us using the Jeep Liberty as a daily driver vs a dually 1-ton truck or larger is a huge plus. Neither is right or wrong. Just what is going to meet your needs and wants at the time, which finances quite often dictate those needs and wants.
__________________
Trap, Jan and the Pup
2013 Monaco Diplomat 43dft
2010 Black Jeep Liberty
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 02:13 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10,123
It comes down to what will make you happy or what you think will make you happy.

We all have worked and saved for the day when we can do "what we want", possibly being a bit or lot foolish when it comes to spending our money.

Our kids are going to inherit well used toys that we worked and paid for.
__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:13 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
bigben's Avatar
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 700
yep

Gordon -
__________________
US Army Retired - loving it in our Challenger 37TB.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:54 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
dezolen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 489
My motorhome worked out costing less than a new 5th wheel and 3/4-1 ton pickup. Love the full body paint, quality of finishes, real compartment doors, generator etc.
We were looking at Mobile Suites 5th wheels which would require a dually 1 ton truck and $$$$$
Could not imagine touring once parked in the dually. TEHO
And happy wife happy life.
__________________
2013 Tiffin Allegro 36LA OPEN ROAD
2012 Honda CRV AWD toad
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 07:16 PM   #49
Senior Dude
 
Dogpatch's Avatar


 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere, BC.
Posts: 5,584
Blog Entries: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
My motorhome worked out costing less than a new 5th wheel and 3/4-1 ton pickup. Love the full body paint, quality of finishes, real compartment doors, generator etc.
We were looking at Mobile Suites 5th wheels which would require a dually 1 ton truck and $$$$$
Could not imagine touring once parked in the dually. TEHO
And happy wife happy life.
My truck is my daily driver, so 1 ton SRW was my choice. Almost any DRV would be too much for that truck. I had to find something light enough but big enough to enjoy.
__________________
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #50
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10,123
We have both.

IMO there are two categories:

1) Long term parking (more than 3 weeks). For this I think the 5er is better. You set it up and leave it for the time you are there. Only the generator to exercise. While the TV may be on the large size it is not a deal breaker. Our 450 was used regularly to go to the mall, grocery store and golf course. Could not park by the front door of the mall but there is lots of parking a bit farther away. We need the exercise.

2) If you are doing a lot of traveling the MH is very nice to travel in. It is a bit quieter and much more convenient to go to the washroom and make snacks. Traveling on a weekly or bi weekly basis will keep the engine exercised so only have to exercise the generator.

Both units have their advantages. There are no rules about how or what you will enjoy. Unfortunately it can be costly to try one, change to the other and then decide the first was best.

Nowadays the amenities in both are/can be comparable. Self leveling, all electric, residential fridge, stacked washer/dryer makes either a reasonable option.

For me it works out to one is a great unit to travel in and the other is a better value when parked long term.

There is no bad decision.
__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:11 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mcdonough, Ga.
Posts: 4,382
As you can see from my signature, I have done them all.The number 1 thing I like about my motorhome is safety. If you have a wreck with a car (the most likely) the car will be below you. The car has a lot of heavy frame to go through. Visability is also much better. You are sitting up high and can see over the cars in front. You can see the car in front slam on brakes and start stopping before the car in front of you panic stops. Also if you are stopped at a rest area and someone pulls in and you do not like their looks, you can start up and drive off. In a trailer you will have to get out of the trailer and walk to the vehicle. Also in pouring rains you will have to get out and get wet. Another reason is the ability to use the facilities while under way. We DO NOT get up while in heavy traffic but always wait till the traffic thins. I note that Trailways and Greyhound allow customers to move around underway, so it must not be that dangerous.
__________________
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
32 years mechanic at Delta Air Lines 15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:28 PM   #52
Junior Member
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
Like I said, it all depends what you buy.
Rather than going new, I opted for an older (2010) that was of good quality (from what I looked at) and in good condition.
It has everything our coaches had and way more. Of course, not everyone wants a 40' anything. However, it has everything we want to enjoy being away from home.

The deals are out there if you look!

If you aren't happy with your 5th wheel, fix the small things and sell it.

I'll PM you and let you know what I paid for our Cardinal below. Too low a price to let anyone else know as I might sell it! LOL

Attachment 111946

Attachment 111947

Attachment 111948

Attachment 111949

Attachment 111950

Attachment 111951

Attachment 111952
Les,
Your place is beautiful! Enjoy her!
__________________
kerileeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:31 AM   #53
Junior Member
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 16
Do you love your tiffen? We are leading towards that one
__________________
kerileeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:34 AM   #54
Junior Member
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
As you can see from my signature, I have done them all.The number 1 thing I like about my motorhome is safety. If you have a wreck with a car (the most likely) the car will be below you. The car has a lot of heavy frame to go through. Visability is also much better. You are sitting up high and can see over the cars in front. You can see the car in front slam on brakes and start stopping before the car in front of you panic stops. Also if you are stopped at a rest area and someone pulls in and you do not like their looks, you can start up and drive off. In a trailer you will have to get out of the trailer and walk to the vehicle. Also in pouring rains you will have to get out and get wet. Another reason is the ability to use the facilities while under way. We DO NOT get up while in heavy traffic but always wait till the traffic thins. I note that Trailways and Greyhound allow customers to move around underway, so it must not be that dangerous.
OMG you have definitely done all of them! I think we really want to try the motor home but might need to use the 5er for a while since we will probably lose a ton of $ if we try to sell now.
__________________
kerileeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:36 AM   #55
Junior Member
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
poppopc - Nice coach - real nice - absolutely LOVE the livability. I get an itch for a bit more room but then look at our grand kids that travel so much with us and how they look forward to being in their bunks. The itch goes away. Our grands see the bunk beds as their personal space with us and truly enjoy the time with us. We spend about 4 months a year in their area and about 2 months a year with them in the coach. Sometime - as the grand kids get older and won't want to spend so much time with us - we can graduate to sort of coach you have. But for now, our Challenger 37TB is super for our wants.

To the op - this is an example of needs that various owners have. While we don't full time, we are in our coach about 7 months a year. Very comfy for us - bunks, residential fridge, 1.5 baths, king size bed, large shower and very important for us a washer dryer, 5 tvs, satellite tv, lots of fresh, gray and black water storage. And as we run down the road - Pappaw (that's me) gets the word "got to go potty". At which point, the kids can make their way back to the forward commode or I will pull off.

This is a gasser and absolute meets our needs.
Love that you take your grand kids! They are lucky to have those experiences! Thanks for the input!
__________________
kerileeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:06 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
Kro1957's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mitchell South Dakota
Posts: 1,140
Blog Entries: 2
The Pros & Cons from my view.

The advantages of the 5vr is for us, living space. Our King of the Road Royal Villa QS is huge inside, high quality and comfortable. The electric patio that goes out with a push of a button was exclusive to KOTR. The problem today is there are fewer high end 5vrs being made. The closest we have been inside is the New Horizon for meeting both our requirements of comfort and space.

As we age, we also think of the ease of set up and thus a MH DP is where we have been looking also. The disadvantage though is having to have a separate set of transportation. Overall maintenance costs. I try and do most of my own maintenance which is easier for me to do with a truck vs a coach. I am talking mostly the working space to crawl in and out of.

One other aspect is I am a avid outdoors person and also do a lot of fishing. I have to launch my boat. My truck works great for that and with a MH I would be limited to what toads to use and thus also the ease of hook up with that vehicle.

I think perhaps the biggest factor in our decision will come down to how often do we plan to be moving....... Currently with our 5vr we have long stays. The majority of our stays were a week or longer so the little extra time in set up or departure prep is really minimal anyway. When you pre-trip a DP for commercial use like I do with a CDL for Motorcoach driving it is 30 minutes. I can accomplish nearly the same with my 5vr.

On the flip side of that also is the comfort and convenience of pulling into a rest stop, set the brake, walk back and open the fridge or use rest room without having to go outside. Especially if the weather is bad. So like others have said, it what really fits your needs at the time. But for us I think once we make our plans on doing 200 miles a day, stay 2 days, move to another place to visit we will probably want to be in the DP.

Nothing beats being on the road, setting up and having a nice chat with our neighbors!! Blessings James & Trina
__________________

__________________
06 King of the Road 37RLQS
06 Coachman Cross Country 5.9L 300HP 382 DS
03 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L James, Trina, SMSgt, USAF Ret
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5th wheel, class a



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ultra-Fab Trailair v. MOR/ryde 5th Wheel King Pin Box 7.3diesel 5th Wheel Discussion 7 10-03-2014 11:16 AM
Confused about 5th wheel pulling requirements gschooley Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 10 08-30-2014 09:03 PM
5th Wheel for Full Time Living dieselguytx 5th Wheel Discussion 13 07-28-2014 06:50 PM
Going from trailers to 5th wheel - what to expect? 2wiresdave 5th Wheel Discussion 11 06-16-2014 11:12 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.