Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2015, 08:05 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Thinking of trading 5th wheel for class A

We are new to rving and love it. We are planning a trip out west (we are from pa) this winter for a few months. The problem is storage. We have hardly any. We just bought it , our first trip was August. Has anyone gone from 5th wheel to class A? Thoughts both + & - would be appreciated. Also my husband and I are traveling with 2 goldens. Thanks
kerileeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2015, 08:44 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Went from a 26 ft 5th to a 36 class a MH and we travel with 3 dogs and although the DW liked the 5th, the MH is better suited for our type of living.

We are fulltimers and find the MH better and warmer than the 5th and a lot easier to set up.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:44 AM   #3

There are many posts here in the forums, about the switch back and forth, 5er to A and A to 5er.
Five years ago ; after 4 , 5er's ; We made the switch to a diesel pusher.
Interior level floor, and storage were the biggest , pluses.
Ease of set up in an RV spot with the power levelers, and the DW's ease of access the the bathroom, while on the road were , bonuses we hadn't considered before the switch.

JMHO: Look for a floor plan that works with the slides in, makes a rest area stop, for the night easier, and never consider a floor plan that requires opening a slide to load food into the fridge.
I'll look for other posts on the subject, and link you to them.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:25 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We pulled a 5er for 11 years before getting the MH in 2012. We loved the 5er when we were working and just taking weekend and occasionally a week-long trip, but after we retired and wanted to do some long term traveling we decided the MH would suit our needs much better. We have never regretted the decision!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:48 AM   #5

Also from Pa. went from 36 ft fifth wheel to 31 ft motorhome. Like it so far
pro_coupe 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:37 PM   #6

Hi- We didn't have a 5th wheel but we owned a variety of travel trailers for over 20 years. My wife and I often discussed the possibility of switching to a MH but we never considered ourselves "MH people" and didn't think it would suit us.......until I decided to buy a Class A, kind of on a whim. Both my wife and I now absolutely love the MH, matter of fact we have 2. We have talked about how much we love it and I honestly don't know why we waited so long to make the switch. I think the reasons why we love it so much is that the hassle of hitching/unhitching it was getting old, the variety of floorplans in a MH are more plentiful, the conveniences offered by a MH are greater, the ease of getting ready, setting up, departing are so much easier. We absolutely love everything about our Class A and I can no longer even imagine going back to any kind of towable. The key is finding the floorplan of your choice. Good luck!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:41 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Pops thanks
Old 11-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Skip426 would really appreciate that. Thanks for your info.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:44 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks. I think with our long period of travels a MH is better for us
Old 11-12-2015, 02:44 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks pro_coupe34
Old 11-12-2015, 02:46 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
In 40 plus years of RVing I've owned several fivers and travel trl's Have always switched back to a Mtr HM. On my 6th and probably last one now. Always preferred a Mtr Hm over a fiver or TT. Never regretted going to a Mtr Home. We down sized this last time to a 31 footer.
Mel
Old 11-12-2015, 02:47 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Inthe70s we just started and didn't know we'd like it so much. Did you buy new or used?
Old 11-12-2015, 02:51 PM   #13

Went from 29' 5r to MH and absolutely love it. Costs to keep her going a bit more but if you understand that going in to it, it's worth every $100 dollar bill you put into it.

2008 Holiday Rambler PDQ Ambassador 360 ISC
2015 Jeep Rubicon
Blue Ox tow Patriot brake
cdinatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdinatl View Post
Went from 29' 5r to MH and absolutely love it. Costs to keep her going a bit more but if you understand that going in to it, it's worth every $100 dollar bill you put into it.

2008 Holiday Rambler PDQ Ambassador 360 ISC
2015 Jeep Rubicon
Blue Ox tow Patriot brake
True but you don't need a big pickup and it's maintenance to haul it.

No 5th wheels put have had TT's. Love the the MH, everything is accessible with slides in and going down the road. MH is a comfortable temp when you get to your destination, no waiting for it to warm up or cool down. Rest stops, don't even shut off engine and get out at a rest area unless I want to stretch my legs. Wife can go to bathroom, frig to get a snack, etc. while we're driving.

Nothing against 5th wheels, each offers an advantage depending on how you plan on using it and your needs. We just find the MH so much easier and more comfortable while traveling. Once you're parked it's pretty much a toss up.
70ChevelleSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, class a