Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2016, 09:40 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Honestly the defining limit is power/torque/longevity. This will spur numerous copy/pastes from dyno charts etc..., but at a certain GVW gas power becomes unrealistic. Both Gas and Diesel can put out 500hp and 1000 ft/lb of torque, only diesel can do it for 500,000 miles. If you are looking at a lighter weight rig, it's really personal preference. The heavier the rig gets the more attractive diesel becomes and at a certain weight mandatory (as there are no gas options on the market).

For the expected total mileage a typical RV will experience in it's lifetime I don't see engine longevity being an issue so it mostly boils down to personal preference (unless as stated the the rig in question doesn't have a gas option due to weight).

dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 09:49 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
What will a High Def TV do that a Standard Def TV won't? They both get the same TV programs, but one gives you a better experience. I think this is a good analogy to gas vs diesel.

Have you driven a similar sized gas coach and diesel coach for comparison? If you can't tell the difference when doing this test drive, then save your money and get the gasser. When I did this comparison test drive, I never thought about a gas coach again. I also like my TV in Hi-Def.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:52 AM   #17

You are are really hitting the mark and I thank you all.

First it has to be a “New Coach”. I promised my wife when she agreed to RVing it would be a new coach. I found there a many good brands of diesel coaches out there and not so many good brands of Gas. Just my opinion of course!

Gas or Diesel I want to stay 38 to 40’ and if diesel, I prefer not having a Tag axle.

Looking at gas coaches I found many I liked because of given floor plan. The more I researched and drove the coaches I narrowed the gas coach down to Tiffin and Newmar and then to Newmar alone! For those who know the product, there isn’t much not to like about the Newmar Canyon Star and they have a 40 foot (39’-11”) beauty! I did not notice the crazy engine scream from the Canyon Star some have mentioned! Maybe part of the quality thing we've discussed.

All the diesels I look at I compare to the Canyon Star (floor plan and quality build) which costs just under $200,000.00 loaded. Other diesel coaches start at $225,000.00 for a Thor Palazzo and jumps significantly from there. It’s not lost on me that the higher cost is for a reason but my brain keeps telling me “hey, that Canyon Star is sure nice and It’s a Newmar”! Maybe the best thing is to shut up and buy the Canyon Star?

I say it isn’t about money but maybe I'm kidding myself!!! I can afford to buy any diesel I want, that is not the problem. The problem is, I’ve always lived below my means. I was raised that way and is the way, like it or not, I’m hard wired! The thought of spending more than I need to is difficult for me to deal with. I'm comparing the best gasser there is, IMHO, and how bad could that be?

I know this is my situation and I should not have you good folks enter into my confused world and how my twisted brain works! I may be asking you guys for answers that can only come from within. Hey do I need a shrink?

I think I better get it figured out, I don’t want you guys thinking, if you’re not already, “Oh No, there’s ol crazy WyoFree again”!
Old 08-09-2016, 09:52 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurdock View Post

For the expected total mileage a typical RV will experience in it's lifetime I don't see engine longevity being an issue so it mostly boils down to personal preference (unless as stated the the rig in question doesn't have a gas option due to weight).
Agree - pick the floorplan/amenities that work the best for you. Take the chassis that comes under your floorplan. I have been passed by both gas and diesel chassis while driving down the road. I have been passed by diesel and gas pickups towing trailers! All have enough power to drive fast.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
MY "Class A Motorhome" QUESTION IS THIS;

What can't a GAS Coach do that a DIESEL can?
Or put another way;
What can't a DIESEL coach do that a GAS can?

We've all read most everything there is to ask and tell about the Gas vs Diesel debate and that is not what I want this thread to become. I'd seriously like your opinion on "is there something one coach will do that the other either will not or can not do well.

I'll furnish the first one because I know each of you is wanting to jump in and say it. A diesel will not run on gas and a gas will not run on diesel. Sorry I stole that from you!

It's all about weight. If a coach fulfills your needs and it weights less than 25k pounds then a gas coach is possible. If you need a coach that weighs more than that to check all your boxes then it will, by necessity, be a diesel. There is some over lap at the low end of the weight scale where both are possible but for the most part, your particular usage and needs will make the decision.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:05 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
You are are really hitting the mark and I thank you all.

First it has to be a “New Coach”. I promised my wife when she agreed to RVing it would be a new coach. I found there a many good brands of diesel coaches out there and not so many good brands of Gas. Just my opinion of course!

Gas or Diesel I want to stay 38 to 40’ and if diesel, I prefer not having a Tag axle.

Looking at gas coaches I found many I liked because of given floor plan. The more I researched and drove the coaches I narrowed the gas coach down to Tiffin and Newmar and then to Newmar alone! For those who know the product, there isn’t much not to like about the Newmar Canyon Star and they have a 40 foot (39’-11”) beauty! I did not notice the crazy engine scream from the Canyon Star some have mentioned! Maybe part of the quality thing we've discussed.

All the diesels I look at I compare to the Canyon Star (floor plan and quality build) which costs just under $200,000.00 loaded. Other diesel coaches start at $225,000.00 for a Thor Palazzo and jumps significantly from there. It’s not lost on me that the higher cost is for a reason but my brain keeps telling me “hey, that Canyon Star is sure nice and It’s a Newmar”! Maybe the best thing is to shut up and buy the Canyon Star?

I say it isn’t about money but maybe I'm kidding myself!!! I can afford to buy any diesel I want, that is not the problem. The problem is, I’ve always lived below my means. I was raised that way and is the way, like it or not, I’m hard wired! The thought of spending more than I need to is difficult for me to deal with. I'm comparing the best gasser there is, IMHO, and how bad could that be?

I know this is my situation and I should not have you good folks enter into my confused world and how my twisted brain works! I may be asking you guys for answers that can only come from within. Hey do I need a shrink?

I think I better get it figured out, I don’t want you guys thinking, if you’re not already, “Oh No, there’s ol crazy WyoFree again”!
You make some strong points so I think you have pretty much made up your mind. What you are missing is the fact every day you spend agonizing and procrastinating is a day lost.

By not making a decision you are making a decision. Don't permit it to last so long as to miss a great opportunity.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:06 AM   #21

Do you like chocolate or vanilla? Why can't vanilla taste like chocolate? Why can't chocolate taste like vanilla? This tread is all about personal taste.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:09 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavenger View Post
Average build materials

Diesel Coach:
Higher quality build materials

Not necessarily true. Winnebago builds some really nice gas engine units. And by the same token, there are some really low end diesel pushers.

The other points are pretty much OK.

Ken
Old 08-09-2016, 10:46 AM   #23

If you want a side entry vs a bus entry, then your choices in diesels are limited.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:48 AM   #24

I too will soon be in the market for an RV and have been active on this and other forums for the last 6 months. It didn’t take me long after reading all the many discussions on gas and diesel that a diesel would be the right coach for me. There are many reasons for this but I won’t bore you with my line of thinking.

If in your search you decide that a 38’ or larger coach is desired then a diesel is probably going to be necessary.
Otherwise the advantages and disadvantages of each has been so thoroughly discussed that for me, the decision was easy.

Good luck in your search.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:49 AM   #25

My brother and I have the same year/manufacturer and floorplans, mine in gas, his deisel. I have a Itasca Sunova 33c, his a Meridian 34J. We both bought new.

I have laminate counters, he has Corion
I have vinyl flooring, he has tile.
I have plastic toilet, he has porcelain.
I have adequate storage, he has massive storage and pass through.
I get 6.5 mpg, He gets 9 MPG.
I have a tiny closet and four drawers, He has a full wardrobe closet on the back wall
and a chest of drawers on the side.
I have a 5,000 pound hitch, he has a 10,000 pound hitch.
I have a portable air compressor I haul, he has on-board air. [but if mine fails, I can move ]

DW and I like the luxury feel of his coach. I like the beefiness of his rig. The Wet bay is huge and has many nice features. The storage is ridiculous! The biggest thing we envy is the size of the bedroom. That said:

Ours is a mid door, his a front and we prefer the extra living space that provides.
My routine service is $65, his is around $365.
My registration is half what his is. My insurance is half what his is. My fuel is less expensive, though I use more. He climbs hills better, he goes down hills better, although I frequently pass semi trucks on grades even though I am going 45 in 3rd gear. But overall, my coach makes us happy. It lives well, rides well and and the higher fuel costs, if any are offset by lower maintenance and the, wait for it, $100,000 difference in purchase price. To be fair there, he ordered his, I bought mine off the floor. We put average 9k miles a year on mine. Two 5 week + trips and 4-5 small ones a year. That said:

Sometimes I wish I had more umpf. Like a trip to New England is a long long drive and it would be nice. The diesel handle better and ride more comfortably, especially for the co-pilot. But then again, I bought to camp, not drive and don't normally do more than 6 hours total on the road in any one day. It all comes down to how you will use it, what you need to have with you, what you need to pull and where you plan to go. And of course, how many Benjamins you want to part with. For the record, I could afford either but chose less. If I ever get another, unless my needs change for towing and cargo, I'll probably get gas again.

So, it really depends on YOUR lifestyle and use. Like others have said, make a list of what you want to do with your motorhome, be generous, and then find the coach that fills the bill.

BTW, he traded up to a 2014? when the new drop chasis was available and thus has a new DEF diesel and that is his 9-10 mpg. His original Meridian was 7-9, depending.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #26

If the Canyon Star you mention checks off all your boxes, then go get it

Or, since you stated you can buy any diesel you want. I will do you a favor. Ill happily negotiate a good OTD price on a brand new Prevost. Then you send me a cashiers check for the OTD price, and Ill deliver a brand new Canyon Star to your house
Old 08-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #27

JMHO: The CCC doesn't come up often enough in this post , my DW's , must carry " just in case " items, would easily push most gas chassis coaches over weight.

But then again , while shopping , we were shown a diesel chassis coach ; with a full load of options ; that had only a 518lb. CCC.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:20 AM   #28

For the people that need, or just really like it, the newer gas coach entries with the rear "garage" (the outlaw types) are a gasser advantage. Besides the toy hauling capabilities, which are impressive, there will no doubt be more and more creative uses coming up. Just imagine the "tailgating" community uses that may come up !! There's a pretty clear gas vs diesel separation.

Tags
diesel, gas