Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2016, 12:48 PM   #29
JFN

I have had one motorhome and will never consider another, with that said if I break down and did move back to a motorhome it would be a diesel, simply for power and economy. anything else I would deal with

JFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 12:49 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For me it was easy fuel stops. Had a gasser for our first coach, and worried way too much about where to fuel up... With the diesel, just pull into a truckstop and quick and easy, I'm done. Many times I wish for the shorter gas model for state parks, but I like the ease of the diesel.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:16 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We chose a DP because we will be FT in it and it is our perception that the quality DPs will stand up to the 24/7/365 use better than other models we considered.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #32

I would like to see any gas coach hook onto our 13,000# trailer with a 1500# tongue weight and head cross country. I also doubt that there is a non tag DP that could tow it without being over the GVCW and overloading the rear axle. A DP with a tag is the only choice I have for the lifestyle we have chosen. Anything else just won't work.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:09 PM   #33

Rorytug - look at the all the stuff you can take with you.........in your brothers DP when you camp together.....lol !
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:16 PM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
It's not only about all the valid points made here. Much of it is about the feel of the coach on the road. You have to drive both coaches to experience this.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:37 PM   #35

We had a gas class a and really enjoyed it. Never really a problem other than a little engine noise. We trade it for s DP for two main reasons: a nicer ride and a 3 stage engine brake. There are a number of things that are "plusher," but the driving characteristics and engine brake are worth every penny in my opinion. If you do a lot of driving in the mountains the DP has a number of advantages although both will get you there!
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:37 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
...One thing a gas coach with a normally aspirated engine can't do is generate horsepower at higher altitudes. Diesels are turbocharged and largely unaffected by altitude...
Plus engine braking and longer lives.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #37

I would say the real thing a diesel can do that a gas model can't is tow heavier weights. That is really the only thing it can do that a gasser can't. Sure it may do some things better than a gasser, but in reality that is all based on what you are looking to get out of your MH.

As far as a quality build, the Newmar gas models are built with a lot of the same amenities that a diesel has, not all of them but a lot. Some people seem to think they aren't as fancy or don't have an ample storage capacity, but that is not true with some of the newer gas models. Some may be comparing them to 10-15 year old MH's and that may have been the case back then, but not so today.We have the same counter tops as the diesels, porcelain toilets, furniture, nice comfortable bed, huge shower, ect. Our NCC or CCC however your manufacturer lists it is 5600 pounds, if we carry more than that we are doing something wrong, we don't even come close(that is after a full tank of gas, propane). We still have empty storage bays and room in all three of our closets. You can order a Gas model to fit your needs too, so in reality either way you get what you pay for.

They both have pluses and minuses, and all those have been debated at length. Like said earlier the longer you wait the less time you will have to use it. And I totally agree with your mentality of living below your means, I was raised that way too. It drives my wife nuts as we could afford either one, but then again she never complains about not having to budget. The gas Canyon Star just overall made more sense to us for a variety of reasons, and we don't pull any heavy weights.
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:22 PM   #38

Is it not wonderful that we have the luxury of this kind of civil discourse. I've enjoyed this post! Thanks to all who took their time to think through so many thoughtful opinions.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:54 PM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
Diesel coach should have some form of engine braking that a gas coach would not have.
I have a 2015 38 foot V10 and the tow haul mode has effective engine braking with toad pushing to 8% grade without needing to use the foot brake. What the gas doesn't have is tow capacity over 5000 pounds and a gvw that won't permit the use of ceramic tile for the main floor or shower walls, The gas is also less likely to sink in when pulling in or out in the rain.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:23 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I would say the real thing a diesel can do that a gas model can't is tow heavier weights. That is really the only thing it can do that a gasser can't. Sure it may do some things better than a gasser, but in reality that is all based on what you are looking to get out of your MH.

As far as a quality build, the Newmar gas models are built with a lot of the same amenities that a diesel has, not all of them but a lot. Some people seem to think they aren't as fancy or don't have an ample storage capacity, but that is not true with some of the newer gas models. Some may be comparing them to 10-15 year old MH's and that may have been the case back then, but not so today.We have the same counter tops as the diesels, porcelain toilets, furniture, nice comfortable bed, huge shower, ect. Our NCC or CCC however your manufacturer lists it is 5600 pounds, if we carry more than that we are doing something wrong, we don't even come close(that is after a full tank of gas, propane). We still have empty storage bays and room in all three of our closets. You can order a Gas model to fit your needs too, so in reality either way you get what you pay for.

They both have pluses and minuses, and all those have been debated at length. Like said earlier the longer you wait the less time you will have to use it. And I totally agree with your mentality of living below your means, I was raised that way too. It drives my wife nuts as we could afford either one, but then again she never complains about not having to budget. The gas Canyon Star just overall made more sense to us for a variety of reasons, and we don't pull any heavy weights.

As usual,, if I wait for you to respond you do so eloquently (and without the scarcasm that I would add), so here is my addition.

I can't pull a stacker to carry my Lamborgini (under the cover behind the trailer) with my gasser. That is how you get meaningful performance and handling with a DP, drive your Lambo when you get where you are going!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	336.1 KB
ID:	135442  
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:11 PM   #41
TWV

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Do you like chocolate or vanilla? Why can't vanilla taste like chocolate? Why can't chocolate taste like vanilla? This tread is all about personal taste.
Agree
TWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:06 PM   #42

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I think that the V10 howling is more a matter of choice/perception than necessity. In a post of LVRLVR with a V10 he did a put it to the floor hill climb on the highway. He recorded the entire drive. While there was noise the commentary during the drive was clear. That was with the 5 speed transmission. New units are 6 speed helping to reduce noise.

Not everyone climbing a hill will or needs to use WOT so noise can be mitigated by a bit of patience.

While a rear engine will be quieter it also comes with a significant increase in cost.

I wonder if LVRVLUVR would like to tell us what he considered when he moved from his V10 gasser to a 2004 34' DP and since he has driven both, of about the same age, what he considers the "truth" to be? This seems to be a sample of 1, but a great example of what, at least in my opinion, is a normal progression in MH ownership.

DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas