Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2016, 08:02 AM   #1

This is NOT a Gas Vs. Diesel Question... Not really!

MY "Class A Motorhome" QUESTION IS THIS;

What can't a GAS Coach do that a DIESEL can?
Or put another way;
What can't a DIESEL coach do that a GAS can?

We've all read most everything there is to ask and tell about the Gas vs Diesel debate and that is not what I want this thread to become. I'd seriously like your opinion on "is there something one coach will do that the other either will not or can not do well.

I'll furnish the first one because I know each of you is wanting to jump in and say it. A diesel will not run on gas and a gas will not run on diesel. Sorry I stole that from you!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 08:20 AM   #2

I "can't" think of anything, they both get you to your destination. However there are pros and cons to each. That is the debate.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:21 AM   #3

Please do not take this as condescending. I have seen quite a few posts started by you that keep dancing around this topic, only with slightly different questions each time. I totally understand why you are doing it. However, I do not think the answer you are searching for exists. Like you, I am searching for an RV. There is no "perfect" RV that is perfect for everyone. That being said...

Gas Coach:
Typically shorter lengths which seems to be better suited for drivetrain
Normally lower maintenance costs
Lower entry Fee
Average build materials

Diesel Coach:
Higher quality build materials
Higher tow capacity
Higher maintenance costs
Typically longer lengths
Higher Carrying Capacity
Higher entry costs

Unless there is something critically wrong with the coach, both Gas and Diesel coaches will get you from Point A to Point B. As far as what one does better than the other...what do you NEED it to do? That may help get to the correct answer for you.
Gavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:34 AM   #4

Gavenger, nothing condescending about it, you're right! I get it, I just don't seem to like what I'm getting. There are facts to consider and then there is emotion to consider and too often the two don't come together.

I guess I'm thinking if I ask the question just a little different I'll get an answer or a way to think about it that I'd not considered before.

I have the feeling I'm not alone in this. But then again, it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong?
Old 08-09-2016, 08:44 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Gavenger, nothing condescending about it, you're right! I get it, I just don't seem to like what I'm getting. There are facts to consider and then there is emotion to consider and too often the two don't come together.

I guess I'm thinking if I ask the question just a little different I'll get an answer or a way to think about it that I'd not considered before.

I have the feeling I'm not alone in this. But then again, it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong?
The answer is buy what you want and fits your needs. Needs also includes the budget you are prepared to work with.

IMO get the floor plan that fits your needs the best. It will determine the fuel it burns. If you plan to tow 15,000 lbs that will determine the fuel you use.

As stated - once you get to the destination all are equal. You can sit around the campfire and enjoy it the same as everyone else. If you are ostracized because you do not have a certain brand you are sitting with the wrong people!

There is no wrong choice if you are happy with your purchase.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:47 AM   #6

Nope, not alone.

Ok, so what do you NEED it to do? Lets tackle it that way?

Max Length?
Sleeping Requirements?
Booth Dinette or Table and Chairs?
Fireplace?
Number of Bathrooms?
Kitchen on camping side or not?
Towing Requirements?
Roof ACs or Basement AC?
New or Used (I'm sure you mentioned this, but I forget)
Gavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:53 AM   #7

Well stated Gordon, and Gavenger I'll put my thinking cap on and see if I can put something together to help clarify my thinking.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
One important thing, at least to us, is that most DP's are much more comfortable to drive and it's really nice to be able to carry on a normal conversation without that V10 howling under our feet!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:00 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
MY "Class A Motorhome" QUESTION IS THIS;

What can't a GAS Coach do that a DIESEL can?
Or put another way;
What can't a DIESEL coach do that a GAS can?

We've all read most everything there is to ask and tell about the Gas vs Diesel debate and that is not what I want this thread to become. I'd seriously like your opinion on "is there something one coach will do that the other either will not or can not do well.

I'll furnish the first one because I know each of you is wanting to jump in and say it. A diesel will not run on gas and a gas will not run on diesel. Sorry I stole that from you!

This is very easy to answer...

The Ford V10, a 6.8L engine has a monopoly on Gas Class A's in North America and a great part of Class C's.

The Diesel RV's have a 6.7L - and also are made with bigger engines (8L, 11L, etc.).

Emission mandates have killed the manufacture of bigger gas engines, so Gavenger's generalizations (above) are true for RV's made since about 2009 (end of the GM 8.1L Vortec Gas V8).
Gas is lighter duty & Diesel is heavier duty.

BUT, 4 gas RV's are sold for every 1 Diesel RV...so there are many more options inside the RV with gas.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:04 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I think that the V10 howling is more a matter of choice/perception than necessity. In a post of LVRLVR with a V10 he did a put it to the floor hill climb on the highway. He recorded the entire drive. While there was noise the commentary during the drive was clear. That was with the 5 speed transmission. New units are 6 speed helping to reduce noise.

Not everyone climbing a hill will or needs to use WOT so noise can be mitigated by a bit of patience.

While a rear engine will be quieter it also comes with a significant increase in cost.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:13 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
One thing a gas coach with a normally aspirated engine can't do is generate horsepower at higher altitudes. Diesels are turbocharged and largely unaffected by altitude.

The loss of power at 4500 ft (where I live) is quite noticeable in normally aspirated vehicles.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:19 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Let's try pull through tray for storage.
Air leveling.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:20 AM   #13

Gas coach will leave a lot more money in your bank account when you purchase.
Can't think of much more where the gasser wins. You can do your own maintenance on both although the gasser is probably easier and less expensive. I think we can agree that is subjective and a matter of some peoples opinion.
Like most things in life, you get what you pay for.
I bought a gasser because it was pretty much everything I wanted. These are my wants not someone else's. You need to put your wants and needs on paper and do the comparison.
High on my list was the almighty dollar. I am happy with my purchase and have at least $20-30k more (probably a lot more in retrospect) in the bank than I would have if I went with a DP.
Don't expect someone to give you the answer only you can really determine. What is important to you?
Old 08-09-2016, 09:30 AM   #14

Diesel coach should have some form of engine braking that a gas coach would not have.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas