Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2016, 07:59 PM   #43

A rational thought!!
philand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 08:17 PM   #44

Instead of agonizing over it put it down on paper. Newmar on one sheet the DP of your choice on another. Pros and cons for each. DRIVE both!
If money were not the stumbling block I would have a DP.
Period. End of story.
But money is important to me. Decision was easy for me.
If you put it down on paper the decision will be simple for you too.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:13 PM   #45

IMO if you have to ask, then I would believe that you are not ready to appreciate the advantages of a nice big diesel pusher.
I owned and used 5 gas motorhomes before I could pay cash for a new DSDP.
But, I wanted a diesel pusher from the day I bought my first gasser.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:52 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
Diesel coach should have some form of engine braking that a gas coach would not have.
Actually Ford now has Tow/Haul (Hill Descent) Mode and it works quite well. Read the manual.

Most DP's will ride better than a stock Gasser, but don't get me wrong, there are things you can do to a gasser and make it ride a lot smother and still save money over a DP.

The big things I see are price, size, cost of maintenance, towing capability and ride, along with available layouts (door entrance) There is one DP with a mid entry (Newell Coach)
Old 08-10-2016, 06:33 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Are there any gas powered coaches with a 10K tow rating?
Old 08-10-2016, 07:08 AM   #48

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
same question

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Gas or Diesel I want to stay 38 to 40’ and if diesel, I prefer not having a Tag axle.
Easy answer here if Money is not an issue -- Canyon star -- Ventana/Aspire (non-tag, 40ish footer) I'd take the Aspire MHO

Quote:
I say it isn’t about money but maybe I'm kidding myself!!! I can afford to buy any diesel I want, that is not the problem.
Not sure what your debate is then there are several non-tag 40ish diesel that would give you what you want, buy it LOL [/quote]

Quote:
The thought of spending more than I need to is difficult for me to deal with. I'm comparing the best gasser there is, IMHO, and how bad could that be?
Buy the CS then and be done with it, sounds like it has all you want and keeps your conscious clear on the money issue..
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:16 AM   #49

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Are there any gas powered coaches with a 10K tow rating?
NO, but there aren't a lot of diesels under 150K with that hitch rating either. If you plan on towing more than 4K then you have no choice but buy a diesel. I see far more RV's towing under 5K than over 5K tho, so I think a lot of people pay for a tow rating they will never use. Now with that said I would love to have a double stacker enclosed trailer for my Toad and water toys (wish list) as a full timer(wish list) but then again that would also limit camping possibilities as stowing that size trailer is NOT a convenience at 80% of the parks I see.

At present I Dolly my Elantra with two Kayaks and 3 bikes on a bike rack, I am under 3500LBS total and 400LBS on my hitch so I do not impact my OCCC on my coach at all. I still have room for more stuff in my basement and inside my coach, although I have no idea what else I would put in it.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:19 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
If money is an issue don't buy any rv.
One word: tent
Old 08-10-2016, 08:01 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
I wonder if LVRVLUVR would like to tell us what he considered when he moved from his V10 gasser to a 2004 34' DP and since he has driven both, of about the same age, what he considers the "truth" to be? This seems to be a sample of 1, but a great example of what, at least in my opinion, is a normal progression in MH ownership.
I agree about the progression. Friend who was an RV salesman had nothing good to say about diesel as long as he had a gasser. When he retired he made a couple unit moves and now has a diesel - nothing better!

My impression from LVR posts is he is very pleased with the new coach. My recollection is that the 'new' diesel does not have quite the performance that his previous gassers did.

My comments were simply regarding what many consider to be excessive "howling" of the V10. While noticeable on his video was not the 'can't hear yourself think" level.

Although I find my hearing improves as I age. Where I once ran the stereo at 10 I can now listen quite comfortably at 3 or 4!!! LOL
Old 08-10-2016, 08:06 AM   #52

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Although I find my hearing improves as I age. Where I once ran the stereo at 10 I can now listen quite comfortably at 3 or 4!!! LOL
:laug h: SO TRUE THO !!!
Old 08-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
How about what you are using the RV for? Full time I would need 45' with a 36' trailer to get what I want to keep. For the cocktail crowd, super nice interior, for the RUFF camping sportsman type An interior that can take muddy boots. For winter type camping(like snow skiers) great insulation,dual pane Windows,aquahot. For camping IN more remote small beach or forest camp grounds something shorter.
Point is pick what you will use the RV for and then pick what is best for you. There are great combinations that will fit YOUR need, be it gas or diesel.
I went from gas to diesel then back to gas and if needed I still carry my Tux. As far a s noise ,I'm hearing impaired and can still hear the wife say some not too flattering things about my driving at times going up the western passes about passing or? .
Guess what I'm saying is, with money not a problem get what you want not what everyone else wants. They will both get you there with minutes no matter what the terrain. Both get terrible fuel mileage, both cost too much and both be too much fun.

LEN
Old 08-10-2016, 09:51 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dean View Post
NO, but there aren't a lot of diesels under 150K with that hitch rating either. If you plan on towing more than 4K then you have no choice but buy a diesel. I see far more RV's towing under 5K than over 5K tho, so I think a lot of people pay for a tow rating they will never use. Now with that said I would love to have a double stacker enclosed trailer for my Toad and water toys (wish list) as a full timer(wish list) but then again that would also limit camping possibilities as stowing that size trailer is NOT a convenience at 80% of the parks I see.

At present I Dolly my Elantra with two Kayaks and 3 bikes on a bike rack, I am under 3500LBS total and 400LBS on my hitch so I do not impact my OCCC on my coach at all. I still have room for more stuff in my basement and inside my coach, although I have no idea what else I would put in it.
I just asked because the OP asked what a diesel can do that a gas can't and vice versa.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:48 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
If I understand the problem correctly, only you can give yourself the permission to do what you want.

It sounds to me like you want the diesel but feel as if spending that much is poor stewardship with your resources. Most of us have a budget of some kind and as long as you are financially responsible, enjoy it. I should mention that you can't take it with you and there is certainly no reason I can find that you should not enjoy the fruits of your labor. If money is what you find is important, then neither RV will be satisfying. Lastly, the only reason to own a depreciating asset is because you like it.

IMHO
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:49 PM   #56

Decision Made!

I want to thank each of you for your comments and wisdom. I'm going with my comfort factor, my favorite floor plan and the company I believe builds the best coach in the industry. What's my coach of choice?

2017 Newmar Canyon Star 3902

Not only is it a coach that I know is as well built as a coach can be. It's also a coach where I can have a factory pickup a huge deal for a first time buyer like me. I can spend a week with a technician who will show me every aspect of the coach. And anything not 100% up to specification will be fixed immediately. What a great thing to know when I drive away from Newmar, I KNOW MY COACH! I can't begin to tell you the comfort that comes from such an opportunity.

Now that my decision is made I can let out a big breath and an even bigger smile. It's a decision I Knew I wanted to make a long time ago and kept getting in my own way!

Thank you one and all for your understanding and tolerance. I will do my best to give everyone the consideration you've given me!

It's funny, my wife who knows me pretty well said "I knew that's the coach you'd buy, you just needed time to work it out"! That girls a keeper, I've always kind of liked her!

Thanks again one and all...

OH... And take a look at this good looking mamma!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017 Newmar Canyon Star 3902 floorplan.png
Views:	137
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	135562  
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas