Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2015, 01:09 PM   #1

Thor ACE reviews

Hi everybody. New to the site. Does anyone own a Thor ACE? and if so what is your opinion of it and are you happy with it/ ANY MAJOR PROBLEMS?
Thank you John n Judy
john n judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2015, 02:32 PM   #2

Hi John and Judy, Welcome to the Forum. I own a 2013 Thor ACE 29.2 It was bought new and to date have had zero issues. It is a level entry M/H with great value for the $. We have put on 23000 miles without a hiccup. Others have had issues, such as the Generator overheating (Thor has re-located them now) The jackknife sofa and the dinette are small for full size adults, but fine for kids. The electric drop down bunk has a weight capacity of 250lbs (but can be supported to increase this) My unit is stock and others have modified there's with the Cheap handling fix to lessen blow by of other large trucks. I find no problem with my stock unit. I usually travel with my wife, 2 adult children and 2 Grandchildren. Thor is the #1 seller of Class A for a reason, my opinions is value for your money. Others opinions will vary. There are Thor haters out there and I am sure they will chime in. All I can say is my unit has been trouble free since purchase. Not even a warranty repair. My Family loves it and we have made some great memories. Good luck in your search and let us know what you chose is right for you.
Welcome again,
Ted
Old 10-22-2015, 03:10 PM   #3

Thor ACE

Thank you Ted E. We fulltimed for 2 yrs in a HR Endeavor 38' DP. This time we want something smaller. Gettin'old! Good to hear that you enjoy yours. We are a few months away from buying, but REALLY like the ACE. Thanks again J & J
john n judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:58 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We just finished our second season in our ACE 27.1 and have been well pleased. The ACE is an entry level motor home with very good value for cost. At times we wish we had a $300K DP but generally the Thor meets our needs (me, wife and golden retriever). With 11,000 happy miles everything is functioning well and providing good times.
jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #5

read the thread: Loose King Pins if you can bear it....It involves an ACE 29.2

It is not typical (I hope), but.....
Old 10-24-2015, 06:23 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Have 2012 Thor ACE 29.2. Put 12,500 miles this summer from Florida to Alaska. Not one problem. We like our Thor ACE.
RVi 2 Auxiliary Braking System
iRent2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:49 AM   #7

Another fan here.
Everything works as expected.
I receive complements all the time about my ACE.
If given the chance I would make the decision to purchase again.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:41 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First off, welcome to the forum! Here, you will find lots of information and advice.

See the Thor Owner's forum for a lot of discussion on the ACE. We had one for three years and enjoyed it very much. It is just fun to drive and very practical. We sold it and moved up to a diesel.

Enjoy your decision making process and settle on a MH that you really want and can afford.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:35 AM   #9

A.c.e. 30.1

We purchased a new 2013 ace in Aug. 2012. After taking delivery and heading home ,about 300 mi. , a loud squeaking and rubbing sound developed about a hundred mi. from home. It was directly above and behind driver in corner of living room slide. No big deal, thought I, we'll just get it adjusted at our local camping world after we get home. After numerous trips to drop it off at CW New Braunfels ,plus the normal week or so waiting time, I called Thor customer service. Ended up going through four reps. during my year of problems. Three of them were extremely helpful , unfortunately they were replaced every few months . Thor sent two factory reps to our sticks and bricks three times to try to get rid of the loud squeak, including replacing the slide drive motors with more powerful ones. Also was sent to another dealer in Boerne TX, where they completely removed the slide and reinstalled it with some reinforcement panels sent from Thor. Each time it was fixed we would get anywhere from 15 to 100 miles and it would start rubbing and squeaking again. I can't complain about Thor warranty dept., at the very end, after 1yr. warranty was up they offered to pay my fuel up to their plant and would fix it . After 12500 mi. I had had enough , traded it for a DP. Overall, unit worked good. Added steer safe to offset wind & semis. Dislike: entry level hardware and engine noise, however squeak & rub noise did offset some engine noise Proverbial made on Friday unit. Schwintek slide problem?
capnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #10

We have a 2014 Thor ACE 27.1 and love it. We've had a few minor problems, nothing major. Most were probably due to the fact that Giant RV Colton does not keep the coach batteries charged prior to sale or while servicing. This can lead to slide and radio problems which require 12v +. Thor warranty service has been great and very timely. Giant not so much.

We put two Trojan 360 Ah batteries in, a 3,000 watt inverter, front and rear track bars, summo springs - front and 480 watts of solar. On our recent 3,8000 mile trip to Banff and Lake Louise we averaged 8.5 mpg. We love the bathroom size, storage and the ing size bed. The Ford engine is amazing as is its 5 speed tranny.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:11 PM   #11

We bought a new 2016 ACE 27.1 last Sept. Bought from Camper World and told this was a premium rig. Guess we should have looked at reviews, first. We have a little over 2000 miles on it (had 1150 @ C/W). Love the layout and the look. Floor plan is great. Fit and finish is terrible. We have a one page list of all the issues that should have been addressed before we took delivery. As we live in WY and need to take it to CO for service, we haven't done so, yet. I will be fixing all of the problems, as I have no confidence in C/W's quality. Mileage is worse than poor @ 6mph average. Power is not strong but OK if you have time. Love the front window and the storage is great, although, a larger compartment would be nice instead of smaller ones. Wouldn't buy another one but wouldn't discourage anyone from buying one. Be sure to check different dealers and make them give you an appropriate deal, because it is not a $100K rig. MSRP should be around$79K with deals at $69-72K, compared to a quality rig. Anyone want to see the list of issues, let me know. Happy Camping.
NOTSOTHOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTSOTHOR View Post
We bought a new 2016 ACE 27.1 last Sept. Bought from Camper World and told this was a premium rig. Guess we should have looked at reviews, first. We have a little over 2000 miles on it (had 1150 @ C/W). Love the layout and the look. Floor plan is great. Fit and finish is terrible. We have a one page list of all the issues that should have been addressed before we took delivery. As we live in WY and need to take it to CO for service, we haven't done so, yet. I will be fixing all of the problems, as I have no confidence in C/W's quality. Mileage is worse than poor @ 6mph average. Power is not strong but OK if you have time. Love the front window and the storage is great, although, a larger compartment would be nice instead of smaller ones. Wouldn't buy another one but wouldn't discourage anyone from buying one. Be sure to check different dealers and make them give you an appropriate deal, because it is not a $100K rig. MSRP should be around$79K with deals at $69-72K, compared to a quality rig. Anyone want to see the list of issues, let me know. Happy Camping.

Your whole post just doesn't sound right. First your mileage is not a Thor issue. Your power issues just are nuts, also not a Thor issue. Premium coaches do not sell for $100K. For your moniker this is your first post. Your post just smells...fishy.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #13

You don't say what model you are interested in, but here is what we found. First I used to own a Thor Hurricane 30Q which was a low end coach, but seemed everything worked as expected, had some issues with cabinet/drawer hardware, and though the outside storage was inadequate as most were just cubby holes and hard to fit things in. When we went looking for a replacement, we looked at the ACE 30.2 as the wife wanted bunks "just in case" her great nephew wanted to go with us, or my future potential grandkids wanted to as well. I was OK with the bunks as it gives a place to store the cat.

What I did not like about the ACE was the exterior storage, holding tank sizes, and to some degree the interior fit and finish. Holding tank sizes were important to me as we mostly stay where there is not a sewer hookup and hauling the portable tote is a pain. The kitchen counter space seemed a bit scarce. None of these may be a concern to you.

I don't have anything bad to say about the ACE, just did not match what I was looking for. It has the same chassis and all other gas motorhomes, same appliances, furnaces, Air conditioners, etc.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:23 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I loved our ace 30.2 we just traded it for the Georgetown 364ts. Mainly to get two a/c units. That is my one and only complaint.

Tags
ace, thor