Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #1

Thor and La Mesa

My wife and I are thinking about buying our second motor home. We are trading in a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer 35U its been great but we can't fine a layout we like in the new Winnebago. We like the size and layout of 2018 Thor Motor Coach ARIA 3901. We are looking at one in Florida at La Mesa RV.

Anyone out there that can give us pros and cons on Thor or La Mesa RV would be great. We both are retire and looking for a long a happy road.

Thanks
Redstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2018, 11:38 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I didn't buy from LaMesa (I ended up buying from private seller), but I spent a lot of time at La Mesa (in Sanford FL) and they were very helpful. They have a good reputation and I would buy from them if they had the RV I wanted.

I would not get a Thor - too many "poor quality build" complaints. I would go with the Winnebago over the Thor.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:43 AM   #3

Geez is La Mesa the same La Mesa from Phoenix... they set up a winter sales location in Yuma AZ almost every year... several hundred units and a shop... for 5 months worth of sales... I have no idea what this overhead costs....

But we did go in and look, seems like every time we turned the corner a new salesperson was approaching us so we left... its not the kind of place we wish to buy from...
Old 03-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
La Mesa is a chain La Mesa RV | RV Business

@OP, also be sure to look at the Tiffin line while your there.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:53 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can't comment on La Mesa RV in Florida, but the La Mesa RV in San Diego is a reasonably good dealership with good and bad public feedback. And, I submit that the individual experience might be greatly impacted by the salesman.

The Aria is a rather new model line from Thor Motor Coach (TMC) designed to meet the newer "Smaller, but very premium Diesel Pusher market" that most all makers have realized. Being a premium RV, this line IS NOT like the entry level models that others might rant about on-line.

I walked through one Aria floor plan at La Mesa RV here very recently and saw several more floor plans at the Pomona Regional show. I was very impressed with the line for fit, finish, outfitting and price point.

Being a newer offering, there are fewer owners than the legacy lines like Tuscany or Challenger, but you can find the owner's in the Thor Industries Owner's Forum:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/
That Forum covers all of the over 20 Thor RV brands from towables to all TMC lines.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't advise you on that although I do see a lot of negative comments on here about Thor!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:37 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hearing many of the eldest Snowbirds talking about this is their last winter...too old, can't handle the long drive in the RV...many of these will be hitting the market soon. Keep an eye on the various Facebook RVing pages and other social media places where folks list their rigs for sale.
USA-RVNomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:56 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I love my Thor Venetian M37. We've had small things that we have had fixed but nothing that prevented us from putting on 8,000 miles in the 6 months we've had it. As with many things, problems get mention more often than no problems.

I wouldn't be afraid of all Thor products because of the comments. Look at the product you want and check it out fully.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vaark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:02 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just bought a 5th wheel from Sanford La Mesa FL. Not an exceptional nor bad experience. Bought many vehicles before. Most everyone helpful. Price OK but not exceptional. Had trouble paying for unit due to wrong account codes given. Still do not have title and plates in 7 weeks but we're from TX not FL.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:13 PM   #10

Used to own a Thor product. Had it for 4 years. We were constantly having issues repaired. At this point I would never own one of their products again.
We now have a Tiffin. Problems? Of course but very minor in nature. Their customer service is exceptional! Thor would only tell me to take it to a dealer and they can work with us. That to me is no way to build a relationship with customers.
Martinichuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:03 PM   #11

Aria 3901

Ok, so you've heard from some folks that have never owned a Thor, or had one years ago. I can tell you nothing about La Mesa, but I can tell you a little about the Thor Aria 3901. We purchased an 18 3901 last September. It had a few issues. A couple of missing remotes, a damaged cabinet door, and our dealer couldn't find the ladder for the overhead bunk. These items were noticed during our PDI. After our first 2 trips (over 10 days 2500 miles) we found a few more things. The caulking around the shower was not done right, shower leaked. Every time we started the engine, the GFI tripped. The steps became inoperable due to a pinched wire. The missing items and damaged door were sent overnight by Thor. The caulking and step were repaired quickly by our dealer. The GFI was another issue. The dealer, Thor, and the inverter manufacturer kind of all pointed in different directions. It took weeks. Finally, one of them decided to replace our inverter with a true sine wave inverter from Magnum. No more GFI tripping. The more time I have spent in our Aria, actually, the more I like it. When climbing hills, towing our 4700# Durango, it is not the fasted rig. But it does get over the top. And the rest of the driving experience has been quiet, smooth and relaxing. We had looked at some Thor motorhomes when we purchased our 1st class A in 1999. Since then I always said I would never purchase a Thor. Never say never. I believe we got a lot of coach for our money. It isn't a $500,000 coach, but it is to me worth every bit of what we paid in comparison. Also, I have contacted Thor customer service exactly twice, and they have been wonderful. Just another opinion.
Mike
Mnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:26 AM   #12

Before we purchased our RV, we talked with a lot of other people in campgrounds about the likes and dislikes of their RV. We also talked with the shop we use for RV repairs. From these conversations we decided upon looking for an RV from 3 different manufacturers. Found one about 5 months later and the rest is history. Good luck on your search.
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:38 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought my Winnebago from La Mesa in San Diego. A good experience. They even picked me up from the airport.

Service-wise, I only went there on a federal recall matter and they took care of it before we even finished breakfast.

On Thor products, couldn't help you.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:07 AM   #14

crazy story

i found a coach on internet at la mesa. sent them an inquiry and a lady responded with some info. we swapped emails. then she sent me christmas greetings (sort of a computer christmas card)
i clicked on it.. whew.. all sorts of info... some muslim info.. wierd..

i wrote back with inquiry, not about the coach, but about the card.
things went down hill. not a nice response.. i sent a note to a manager that had written me. i was through with lady. he got me a new person.

new lady. she very specifically let me know that their company did not and does not send christmas greetings! lol.. except it wasn't funny... if i had two different folks telling me that i wasn't telling the truth about something as simple as an internet greeting card, then how could we communicate on a matter of importance.

so i quit communicating with lamesa.

a few weeks later first lady started sending emails again. i just delete them. i hope others have good luck. a couple of salesmen did call during this story, telling me about coaches they had... they sounded ok. but i couldn't get over the 2 folks i started with. any dealer ship needs the right folks representing them on the initial contacts in my opinion.

my church teaches to forgive. i agree. but, i look for signs/words/actions to give me a hint about whatever dealership i'm dealing with. i can forgive, but i can also take note and let the signs/words/actions help me decide on my future direction.

rr
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor