RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2018, 09:53 PM   #1

Thor Aria 3901 or Fleetwood Discovery 38K

As we get closer to going full time we have narrowed it down to the Thor Aria 3901 or the Fleetwood Discovery 38K.
I would be interested on which one you would go with and why?

Rascal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2018, 06:14 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hmmm, the wheelbase on the Aria is 20 inches longer that the Fleetwood. Aria would probably have the better highway ride due to longer wheelbase but Fleetwood would be slightly more maneuverable in the campgrounds. Overall build quality, my vote would go to Fleetwood but that is just my opinion.

One thing I would put out there is both have the small 6.7L Cummins. Both coaches have a GVWR around 36000 lbs. That is a lot of weigh for an engine with only 800 lb/ft of torque. If you can afford a bit more, getting a rig with the Cummins ISL motor is worth the cost. The extra torque helps flatten out the hills.

Have fun shopping!

paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:26 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
First rule of buying RV's never buy anything made by THOR. Having owned a THOR MH previously, would not own one if it was free.

The quality of the Fleetwood will be 10x that of the THOR, not to mention Fleetwood support is very good. Do yourself a big favor and buy the Fleetwood, or anything else not made by THOR.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:18 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've never owned a Fleetwood or Thor, but I see a lot of complaints on here about Thor quality, certainly waaay more than Fleetwood.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:45 PM   #5

Interested in what you decide. The 3901 has the floor plan we also like and have seen for 190K. They ALL have problems. What can u get the Fleetwood for?
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:00 PM   #6

2018 s I've seen for 195000 and 2019 for 234000
Old 07-14-2018, 10:03 PM   #7

I went to our dealer to purchase a Discovery 40X. I really thought I had narrowed it down to that one. The salesman talked us into looking at the Aria. We loved the floor plan and the overhead bunk for our grand kids. We had owned 2 Fleetwood gassers over the previous 20 years and loved them both. And they were pretty much trouble free. I really looked at both the Discovery and Aria and found that the Aria had more kitchen and basement storage. I drove them both. I did like the larger engine in the Discovery, but it was much noisier up front (wind noise, don't know why). We ended up purchasing the Aria. While it has had a few, mostly minor issues, we are very happy. It pulls the hills just fine, even towing our Durango. I have been passed by rigs with larger engines, of course, but it really does very well, and we are getting 8.5 to 9.2 mpg and usually run a little over 70. We have dealt with both customer service departments and have no complaints with either one. The people at Thor have been great. Very responsive and quick to solve the issues we have had. I would encourage you to pick the rig with the floor plan and amenities you like the best and enjoy it.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:23 AM   #8

We started out thinking the Aria was the perfect floor plan. But after looking the Discovery 38 K also has the bath and a half and the drop down bed over the drivers seats, as well as the theater seating as an option.

As we are from northern British Colombia and the nearest dealer that sells diesel pushers is 400 miles away, reliability is very important. The Fleetwood seems to have way more positive reviews and way less posted horror stories.

I think that even though I slightly favor the Aria floor plan the Fleetwood will win out because many people seem happy with them and very few are posting horror stories about them which seems to have convinced me it would be a better purchase.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal3 View Post
We started out thinking the Aria was the perfect floor plan. But after looking the Discovery 38 K also has the bath and a half and the drop down bed over the drivers seats, as well as the theater seating as an option.

As we are from northern British Colombia and the nearest dealer that sells diesel pushers is 400 miles away, reliability is very important. The Fleetwood seems to have way more positive reviews and way less posted horror stories.

I think that even though I slightly favor the Aria floor plan the Fleetwood will win out because many people seem happy with them and very few are posting horror stories about them which seems to have convinced me it would be a better purchase.
Makes perfect sense to me. I hope all goes well and you enjoy it for years to come.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:35 PM   #10

We have a 2017 Thor Quantum, and even though it is a lowly class C, it has been almost flawless.

When you build waaaaay more coaches, and sell waaaay more products, the law of averages is that you will have waaaay more complaints.

Having been to the factory and having long discussions there, I know that more and more issues are getting caught in final QC and before they are shipped.

Tags
cover, discovery, fleetwood, thor