Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2016, 05:37 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
Thor at Tampa RV show

Thor ACE 29.3, Windsport 29M and the Hurricane 29M.
We had a fun time looking at all the RVs at the Tampa RV show this weekend. We finally narrowed down our selection to three models that have similar floorplans.
I know the A.C.E. is entry level but dont see the big difference in Windsport and Hurricane. All three coaches use the Ford F-53 v10 Triton chassis. The ACE is 8 feet wide but the other two are wider. I know a heavier coach is supposed to be more stable. I know these do not use air bags. I have the specifications like tanks and engine power.
I have not driven these models.
I plan to tow a 2013 Jeep Wrangler 2 door.
Would like to know your comments on differences between the models and how easy or tough to drive.
w2drfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2016, 09:19 AM   #2

They're all very similar, Windsport and Hurricane are essentially the same and I don't really see much difference from the ACE - H/WS cabinets have glass doors over kitchen, I guess, and the Hurricane/Windsports starting with the 29Ms have an inverter - which would be a plus in my book. I have a Thor 29.2. There is plenty of towing capacity and the coach has been pretty good.

Whatever you buy: DRIVE IT FIRST. Do not put down your hard-earned money until you completely inspect every part and have driven it for at least a good half hour to assure that there is NO VIBRATION on a smooth road. Try it in a parking lot, cruising on the highway. They are all about the same length and should actually be easy to drive - you sit nice and high and with the mirrors adjusted properly, it's really not as hard as you'd think.

I tow a 3600 lb malibu. The jeeps come in around 4200 and shouldn't be an issue. I don't really feel the toad back there at all.

basically: Residential fridge with inverter, vs Propane/electric fridge. They're all entry level units.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
Thanks Dave-Oh,
So if it has an inverter then there is no fear of a norcold meltdown.. I think these new models could be the norm in the future because a lot of people do not want a 40 footer dp when not doing fulltime. I may go 6 months at a time and these models are perfect for me and the DW. Dont need bunk beds and dont need a diesel.
w2drfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:14 AM   #4

Residential fridge = no Norcold. The inverter would also let you power a TV while driving down the road. Small inverter (1000 watts), but useful - If I had known, I'd have gotten a Windsport with inverter (I like the 32N) and king-sized bed. Propane fridge is okay, but I'd like to save the gas for heating and cooking.

Check the bedroom for enough drawers (my ACE has ONE for me and ONE for my wife), enough closet space and enough counter space in the bathroom, if you're planning on longer trips. personal observation.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:35 AM   #5

FWIW the problem we saw a year ago was they put a residential fridge in but still only had room for two house batteries. When I pointed out there was a power problem they knew nothing. Later they pointed to the auto gen start. Unless they figured out where to put some more batteries or plan on not boon docking the residential refer will be an issue.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor