RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2019, 07:44 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Thor drops diesel generator for lithium and solar power on its flagship.

I know some like Thor and I know many don't, so let's set that aside for a mo. What do you think about droping the diesel genny for lithium and solar power?

Read it here:

https://newatlas.com/tuscany-generat...concept/59029/

RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2019, 07:49 PM   #2

If a genny's well cared for it will usually last the life of a coach. I don't know about those battery packs. Wonder what it would cost to replace them? I'll keep the genny.

Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:56 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
The only thing i remember from that articles is 7 figure price tag

"The Tuscany Lithium didn't have a pricing sheet inside because it's a one-off concept with a number of features that may or may not ever see production. That said, Thor mentions more than once that certain features are what you'd expect from a seven-figure motorhome."
Old 05-05-2019, 07:57 PM   #4

Given Tesla's track record with lithium ion batteries and the many resulting "carbecues" 🔥, I'd be extremely hesitant to sleep in an RV with a couple of them underneath the rig. I'll stick to the tried and true technologies.
EdBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:58 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not buy one without a generator. Even with the advances in chemistry the power density of lithium still has a long way to go to match that of diesel or gasoline fuel generator.

Granted you don't see many if any Tuscany rigs boondocking but a generator offers a lot more flexibility. Is there enough capacity to run a roof A/C for an a few hours when on the road traveling west ward in July with the sun in your eyes? What about the induction cooktop?
Old 05-05-2019, 08:12 PM   #6

Genny is not a thor product. I wouldn't be without one. Not into the solar stuff.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:56 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The technology works. It's safe. But not perfect. I have solar and lithium. I would not be without my genset.
Lithium and solar will not power your 2 or even 3 ACs over night or when the sun is not full strength. If I need to be cool I need my genset. Simple as that.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:26 PM   #8

Why only one version of a diesel invertor generator.
Seen version of this fuel cell. If I remember right NASA engineer changed the way a fuel would work after his project was scrapped. Makes electricity from natural gas . Probably work with propane. Maybe one a 5 to 10k watt fuel cell.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/theweek...el-cell-future
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:32 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
The only thing i remember from that articles is 7 figure price tag

"The Tuscany Lithium didn't have a pricing sheet inside because it's a one-off concept with a number of features that may or may not ever see production. That said, Thor mentions more than once that certain features are what you'd expect from a seven-figure motorhome."
I guess they're trying to break into (for them) a new market. With their rep. that's pretty audacious. I would have applied it to the Entegra 1st, but hey that's just me speculating.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:50 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBoz View Post
Given Tesla's track record with lithium ion batteries and the many resulting "carbecues" 🔥, I'd be extremely hesitant to sleep in an RV with a couple of them underneath the rig. I'll stick to the tried and true technologies.
Where did you get that "Track record" from?

About 174,000 vehicle fires were reported in the United States in 2015, the most recent year for which statistics are available from the National Fire Protection Association. Virtually all of those fires involved gasoline powered cars. That works out to about one every three minutes.
Fact is when a tesla catches fire it's all over the news and a world disaster, but when a gasoline car catches fire it's hardly reported.
I'm not makeing an argument FOR or Against EV's and Teslas, just laying out facts. Which do I prefer? Well for now I'll stick with my Diesel Genny, but my options are open for newer technology. Maybe 7-10 yrs down the road.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:58 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
I would not buy one without a generator. Even with the advances in chemistry the power density of lithium still has a long way to go to match that of diesel or gasoline fuel generator.

Granted you don't see many if any Tuscany rigs boondocking but a generator offers a lot more flexibility. Is there enough capacity to run a roof A/C for an a few hours when on the road traveling west ward in July with the sun in your eyes? What about the induction cooktop?
From what I understand the capacity is there and, there are 3 ways to charge this "Battery pack." I think they said the rig has an additional 58V alternator that charges or keeps the "Battery pack" charged while driving down the road. Then you can charge it with shore power at the CG. Then/or the 300V solar panels on the roof.
I was dissapointed by the fact that it would not last as long as my 10k genny before it needs to be recharged, but then again, to me that wouldn't matter much because we don't boondock or dry camp.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:00 AM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
Nope...The sun doesn't always shine 12 hours a day..........Will stick with a genset and continue turning dead dinosaurs into smoke and noise....
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:08 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Why only one version of a diesel invertor generator.
Seen version of this fuel cell. If I remember right NASA engineer changed the way a fuel would work after his project was scrapped. Makes electricity from natural gas . Probably work with propane. Maybe one a 5 to 10k watt fuel cell.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/theweek...el-cell-future
No doubt. If they can produce one finacially viable for us mere mortals and bring down the temperature to 300 degrees, I think it would work...more likely for the millenials who are starting to get into RV'ing. But I can see this happening in 5-10 yrs.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:20 AM   #14

It's not just Tesla, but they have been the brand most affected by fires in vehicles.

Lithium ion batteries have also caused fires in laptop computers, cell phones, cameras, hoverboards, kids' remote controlled toys, and even e-cigarettes. The vast majority of these use relatively small batteries, and the resulting fires are usually easily contained.

Not so with vehicles, which use sizable banks of batteries. Just one example of the intensity of a Tesla fire in Shanghai last month - - https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...7&action=click

I don't know about anybody else, but I'd prefer not to be sleeping in the confines of an RV if an intense fire like that broke out in its battery bank.

Throw cut-rate cheaply produced, poorly engineered lithium ion batteries into the mix, and you've got a disaster waiting to happen.

EdBoz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, generator, lithium, power, solar, thor