Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #15

In my sig you will see what I own.
Is it the best built (meaning attention to fit & finish)?...No.
Is the worst built? ....No.
Do I have good dealer support?...Yes.
Have I had any major problems/issues?...No.
Am I a satisfied owner?...Yes.
Would I buy another Daybreak?...Yes, assuming the same conditions existed re my finances and needs at time of purchase.

For me, it was/is good value. This was my first MH and I am a middle of the road gal - the Daybreak is an entry/middle of the road motorhome- it is a good fit. I was not expecting Prevost fit & finish for a Daybreak price, so I am not disappointed.

Kathy
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2012, 04:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelynne View Post
Hi folks! 2nd question. Been lurking a while, but getting close to purchasing a new MH. Been looking at gas and diesel and have really liked some of the Damon floorplans. Researched them, and they are now Thor ... and absolutely fell in love with the new 2013 Challenger 37GT floorplan!

Haven't seen much on here, or other forums, regarding quality or problems in Thor models, and not much of anything in the Thor owners forum. Anyone (especially current/former owners) have any input? Appreciate all comments.

Thx. Love the forum!
one thing i forgot to mention, is that the "ultra leather" that is in the flex steel captains chairs is a poor grade, and mine is wearing already.

"
Old 08-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #17

I have a Damon (Thor) Intruder, and love it. I've been in more motorhomes than I can count, and have owned a few too...and let me say that Thor stands side by side with many of the other well regarded brands, including Newmar's gas models (which we also love). They're well built, and have unique features that many of the other brands either didn't offer, or offered as high-dollar options.

Thors aren't "flawless" when it comes to the fine details, but you'll have a hard time finding any motorhome that has perfect fit-and-finish (unless it a really high-dollar unit), but with that said, Thors are well thought out. I looked at 5 different Thor/Damon MHs before ours, and I liked what I saw in every one. I'd buy another one.

I've looked at late model (07+) Fleetwood Storms, Terras (lower end gas models), and Winnebago Vistas, and the quality wasn't there compared to Thors. They were pretty to look at, but that's about it.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #18

Mine is ok. If I could I would pick Winny over Thor because of online customer support. Winny posts all of their wiring and plumbing diagrams online. You have to be a Jedi Knight to get them from Thor. Horrible support. Parts support is just as bad.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #19

no support at all for 2nd owners no matter the age of coach
Old 08-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone
no support at all for 2nd owners no matter the age of coach
Don't agree with you on support. I am the 2nd owner of a Damon / Thor ultrasport DP and have gotten great supportfrom Thor. Mine is getting older and last month I contacted them regarding a dash a/c part issue after Freightliner advised it was a coach installed part. They called me back with contact information on a supplier after finding the original company closed a few years ago. I would consider your purchase gladly.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #21

I think Thor products have gotten better over the years. Several years ago (10+ or more) I considered buying a class C built by Thor. The inside looked pretty good... not great, and it drove well, but when I looked under the chassis, all the steel framing for the basement storage was bare metal, never painted, and was already covered with rust. ... and this was on a new unit still sitting on the dealers lot.

Further inspection revealed what I would call "Shabby Craftsmanship" in the areas where people usually don't look. This really turned me off on Thor products. So much so that recently when a friend of mine told me he was interested in a Mandalay, I told him not to buy a Thor product. In fact, I told him anything but a Thor!!!

Boy was I wrong! I went and veiwed the Mandalay and it was (and still is) a very nice coach. I intentionally looked for all the things I could remember from years ago. None of those same problems existed. Now it's not the nicest coach I've ever been in, but it is very clean, neat, and looks really good. It is on a Freightliner Chassis, and is one of the nicest, if not the nicest handling/riding coach I have had the pleasure of driving.

SUMMARY: I think Thor gets a bad rap for it's days gone by. The current units seem to be very nice, and good bang for the buck.

One last thougt. No... you don't buy a motorhome as an investment, but by waiting a few years you can save yourself a bundle... just sayin!

BB
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbrowne View Post
Don't agree with you on support. I am the 2nd owner of a Damon / Thor ultrasport DP and have gotten great supportfrom Thor. Mine is getting older and last month I contacted them regarding a dash a/c part issue after Freightliner advised it was a coach installed part. They called me back with contact information on a supplier after finding the original company closed a few years ago. I would consider your purchase gladly.
Go to the thor section and do a search on serrano ; you will find my list of incredible poor workmanship and negligence. I talked to customer support and even the head of diesel sales. As soon as they found out I was the second owner they said seeya. I bought the coach with 6000 mi and less than a year old. There is a reason why after 3 yrs they quit making them.
My extended warranty company said they cant fix bad engineering!
Old 08-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We own a Thor Tuscany, a 2005 yr. We have had NO service problems or service needs. You have to understand something. 1st, the floor plan, if you love it, buy it cause that is where you will use the MH. 2nd, Thor only puts the box on a freightliner chassis. 3rd must stuff inside the MH box are made by appliance mfg and warrentied by them. When ever I've purchased a major unit, be it auto, boat or MH I expect that some things may need tweeting. Now, that service is usually up to the dealer you purchased the unit from. Unfortunatley service from a lot of dealers leave a lot to be desired. So the Floor plan is 1st with my wife and myself, next is dealer ability to service or tweet something. No unit is perfect and everyone has an opinion even if they have never owned a particular unit. Thor has been very generous with thor owners group. At the thor Diesel club they have provided techs to service items and assist owners. We love our unit and If I could afford a new 40 tuscany I'd buy one in a heartbeat. enjoy your floorplan! ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #24

I've read of all of the issues and they do lead one to be cautious. That said, I threw caution to the wind and bought a 2011 Serrano. With 5000 miles on it I've had very little and minor issues requiring adjustment or replacement. The rig seems solid. All appliances work, I've sent several questions and requests for drawings to the Thor Customer Service and they've done a remarkable, quick turn around with answers. I guess this can all be a game of luck and I've lucked out. I would buy another Thor.
johnandanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Johnandanne, congrats on the Serano. I really love the looks and layout of that coach, and hope you enjoy it for many trouble-free miles!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Similar Models

Looking at that floorplan I was struck with how simlar it is to our 2006 Bounder. It's suggested retail price new was over 200K but I'm sure you could find one in good condition for less than half that. Ours had a whopping 8,000 miles on it.

So far we've put about 3K into upgrades and repairs. Probably less than what a new coach depreciates in the first day you own it.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #27

As far as the service issues....it's like that with any company. Hit and miss. I've had a Coachmen Mirada before my Damon, and the people and Coachmen's corporate office were quite nice, but my local dealer was beyond useless.

Quality wise though, they're better than some, and on-par with most.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Am going this weekend to test a Thor Palazzo 33.2. Really love what I've seen so far.
Anyone have one? Thoughts?
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor