Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Recently went to Elkhart and toured both of Thor's facilities.
I was impressed in their quality control and desire to make the best coach.
I am happy with my Damon and would buy another from Thor.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #30

The Palazzo is an impressive looking motorhome for its size (the name is a little odd though). I don't know what the horsepower options are, but I think the base is 300, which is adequate, but really the most you'll want to pull is a small car. If you don't tow, 300hp is all you need.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Damon owner

I and many on this forum have the very versatile Outlaw. As you probably know, Damon was merged with Four Winds and became Thor Motorcoach.

Our Outlaws have VERY good build quality for that segment of the market. And, I believe these are typical examples of Damon products.

See comments here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/i-lo...aw-102560.html

Ours rig is a '07, so it was truely a Damon, but the folks with the newer units (after Thor merger are saying the same thing).

I think your comments show that you understand that by buying a TMC coach, you will not be getting a Marathon Coach. BUT, Damon is building a very good product in a slim market.

In my case, they have been quick to reply to requests and questions about parts and such and our local mfgt authorized service center is LaMesa RV (can't get much bigger than that)...significant since I'm the second owner of a 5 year old coach (well outside warranty).

I am very happy to read that you fell in-love with the floor plan...that was the bottom line for us too. No other coach offered what we wanted, so we bought a Damon

Best of luck!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #32

Thor Owners Club
In MHO, they are no better, no worst than any other manufacturer. I have a 2012 Challengern37DT. Had problem with the dinette slide, took 3 months and several trips to the dealer to resolve. Cabinet doors are uneven, shower stall not level.
GJHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have owned two Damon units and they have been great. My current one is a 2008 Daybreak which is the cheaper version of the line but i have had zero problems with it since i bought it new and have 12,000 miles on it maybe i got lucky but i would buy another if the time was right.... Also i just went and looked at the Palazzo this weekend and if i could afford it it would be at my house right now... I love the look and feel of it and seemed like a nicely built unit.. I did see a couple of small quality things on that unit but simple easy fixes.
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thus far we are extreamly pleased with our Serrano 31V. Love the floor plan and the mileage. Nothing wrong with the fit and finish. I haven't come across anthing that would make me say "What the heck were they thinking".
From everything I've read in here, no matter what you buy it would seem its a bit of a crap shoot.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #35

My Damon DP was made just before Thor bought Damon 12 years ago. My MH is an entry level DP and it has been extremely reliable for its entire life. I have been very pleased. While I have owned my MH I have read about problems with some Damon MHs that were bad enough to warrant a buy back but that didn't happen. I don't read about these problems now that Thor has had a chance to run the business their way.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #36

We have owned two "Damon", now Thor Motorhomes, a 38 ft Intruder and a 40 ft Tuscany. When they were Damon, we loved the factory service....your RV out of warranty, no problem, they repaired it if it shouldn't have broken. I don't know how it is now with Thor but our last experience wasn't as great. But we loved both coaches and had minimal problems with both. When it was Damon, they stood behind their product whether it was in warranty or not...if it shouldn't have broken, they fixed it. Now that it is Thor, I am not as gung ho from my last experience, but it still was a lot better than many of the other brand horror stories I have heard.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #37

I don't own a Thor, though have looked at some, and love the Palazzo! That being said, when DW and I were in the process of buying our 2011 GeorgetownXL I read alot of negative things about them on the owners forum. I took the most common of complaints and compiled them into a check list of things to look at on the particular rig we were interested with. We went ahead with the purchase (just on 8/17/12!) and after this first weekend out with it discovered a few issues still needing to be resolved. Confident in the dealer we purchased it from will handle everything and can't wait to get back out camping. Buy the dealer as much as you shop and buy the motorhome and you'll do just fine. Good Luck in your decision and purchase.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Two years ago we bought a used 2006 Damon Challenger 355 from Cranky Ape, an online auction company. It had 3900 miles on it and showed no signs of wear at all. We have put over 11,000 on the coach and are satisfied with it. There were a couple of problems with the coach, from a safety stand point, the most dangerous was the front TV mounting brackets came loose and I had to fabricate an exterior brace to keep it from falling out. Coincidentally, this happened during our trip to visit the Damon factory in Indiana. When we got to the factory, I talked with Customer Service about the problems, and they immediately made arrangements to fix them at no cost to us. Keep in mind, we were the second owners of a 4 year old coach out of the warranty period. At that time, the transition was being made to Thor.

So, I feel that the level of customer service we received from the factory was outstanding. They readily agreed to correct the problems and were enthusiastic about being able to help us.

I would definitely purchase another Damon unit if I liked the floorplan.
howdja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #39

Thor Motorcoach Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
Am going this weekend to test a Thor Palazzo 33.2. Really love what I've seen so far.
Anyone have one? Thoughts?
Do not buy any Thor product!!! They are a cookie cutter manufacturer and their products are pure junk. They look good from the outside but thry are Walmart quality. I had a 2012 Thor Astoria and it was a nightmare! Spent 8 weeks last summer getting repair work done and it broke 3 weeks later. Got rid of it even though I took a major hit.

Look around for better quality products.
Radarman122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radarman122 View Post

Do not buy any Thor product!!! They are a cookie cutter manufacturer and their products are pure junk. They look good from the outside but thry are Walmart quality. I had a 2012 Thor Astoria and it was a nightmare! Spent 8 weeks last summer getting repair work done and it broke 3 weeks later. Got rid of it even though I took a major hit.

Look around for better quality products.
I disagree
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #41

Odd ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
The Palazzo is an impressive looking motorhome for its size (the name is a little odd though). I don't know what the horsepower options are, but I think the base is 300, which is adequate, but really the most you'll want to pull is a small car. If you don't tow, 300hp is all you need.
Well..... if you know Italian .....it isn't odd at all! Palazzo is "Palace" in Italian !!!
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #42

My wife and I searched for some time before landing on the Thor Palazzo. Yes, I had some issues, but, nothing that I did not see on each and every Class A DP that I toured from $200K to $320K (msrp). We looked at Itasca/Winnebago, Entegra, Forest River, Fleetwood and others before out decision on the Palazzo. Sure, there were some oversights but all were easily addressed. Would I buy another Thor product? Sure would.
HeavyH2O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor