Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2012, 04:21 AM   #1

Thor MH - good, bad, average ...?

Hi folks! 2nd question. Been lurking a while, but getting close to purchasing a new MH. Been looking at gas and diesel and have really liked some of the Damon floorplans. Researched them, and they are now Thor ... and absolutely fell in love with the new 2013 Challenger 37GT floorplan!

Haven't seen much on here, or other forums, regarding quality or problems in Thor models, and not much of anything in the Thor owners forum. Anyone (especially current/former owners) have any input? Appreciate all comments.

Thx. Love the forum!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2012, 04:53 AM   #2

our thor unit has been as good as most any other motorhome. we're going on 5 years and it was a well built unit. the reps at thor have been good for the few problems we've seen.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:07 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to iRV2.

In my opinion, Thor is a bit below average in quality control.

If this is your first motorhome, I suggest that first you rent one and see what you like and do not like. Then if the interest is still there, look for a nice 4 to 5 year old gently used higher end unit. There are plenty of great used coaches on the market.

A new coach takes a huge nose dive on value due to depreciation, the first year.

Ken
Old 08-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
First let me say I do not own a Thor MH. But I read and study this forum daily to gather info relative to all class A manufactures. All class A manufactures have their problems! Unfortunately a large majority of quality control issues coupled with poor customer service are posted by Thor owners. I believe you are following the right path and yes new MH do depreciate quickly but I never bought my bus as an investment. However, the purchase was based upon floor plan, knowledge of good customer service, dealer and chassis.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Welcome to iRV2.

In my opinion, Thor is a bit below average in quality control.

If this is your first motorhome, I suggest that first you rent one and see what you like and do not like. Then if the interest is still there, look for a nice 4 to 5 year old gently used higher end unit. There are plenty of great used coaches on the market.

A new coach takes a huge nose dive on value due to depreciation, the first year.

Ken
Appreciate the concern, but that wasn't the question. As Clayobx said, I am not buying this as an investment. I have looked at several hundred floorplans and never fell in love til this one, so my search is over unless I hear some horror stories.

I am not expecting Entegra quality, but I didn't see anything in the Thor owners forum any worse than most other brands. I do want input on known problems and concerns to watch for, (as well as good things!) and I do expect "normal" shakedown issues that will need to be fixed.

Thx billyb - good to hear!
Old 08-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am looking forward to further responses as I am seriously interested in the Palazzo as my first coach.

There have been a number of negative comments about Thor but I consider them in light of two factors. First is that Thor is a high volume manufacturer so the greater the numbers the more problems I would expect. Second is that people with problems and complaints are more likely to post a comment than those who are satisfied.

Fortunately I have not seen much in the way of complaints about major design defects or structural problems. Another factor to consider is service. A common theme I see from Tiffin owners for example is that quality control has become very bad, but if you wait long enough it will get fixed.

Another possible factor to consider is how thorough the pre-delivery inspection is by both the dealer and the new owner. I have seen the 200 point inspection advertised, but do they really do it? I have also seen posted online a new owner check procedure that is several pages long and takes 2-3 days. I am not going to go to that extent but especially since this is my first RV I am going to take time to ensure every system operates and I know how to control it. A neighbor has an Itasca Meridian that he took back several times. Turned out there was no problem with the leveling system, he just did not know how it operated.

I hope to see some good further posts.

Jerry
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:12 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelynne View Post
Appreciate the concern, but that wasn't the question. As Clayobx said, I am not buying this as an investment. I have looked at several hundred floorplans and never fell in love til this one, so my search is over unless I hear some horror stories.

I am not expecting Entegra quality, but I didn't see anything in the Thor owners forum any worse than most other brands. I do want input on known problems and concerns to watch for, (as well as good things!) and I do expect "normal" shakedown issues that will need to be fixed.

Thx billyb - good to hear!

From the Thor quality we have seen on the models displayed at RV shows, let's say I was way less than impressed. You would think the manufacturer and dealer would do a better job on a show unit.

Ken
Old 08-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i was less than impressed with the treatment by fleetwood and the quality of my Bounder. I traded for a new Thor Daybreak and am extremely pleased with the customer care that Thor offers. small issues were quickly resolved, unlike my previous experience with Fleetwood.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #9

Thor

As you stated expect some shakedown issues.
Thor customer service has bent over backwards to keep us up and running. Our first trip is a 10 monther.
As to quality I have looked at many different brands and floorplans and Thor is definitely better then average.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #10

Since I don't own a Thor, I won't comment on that portion.
As far as the pre-delivery inspection. The best option is if the dealer has a on-site camping spot or will let you take it too a local CG for a night or two. This will let you become familiar with the unit and find some of the "bugs" before you head off on a trip. Some of these "bugs" are operator error regardless of the who is the mfg.. If this is not a possiblilty, then I would expect to spend at least 4-5 hours on the lot going through the basics.
dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
As important as initial quality of your unit is, what also matters greatly is the quality of your dealer's service department. Every RV will have some initial problems during the breaking-in phase, many of which will relate to components that are manufactured by others, and used by many RV manufacturers. That's where dealer service will matter -- a good dealer will be able to diagnose problems and fix or replace components as necessary.

We had what I'd consider a typical number of issues with our 2008 Mandalay, but the bigger problem was that our selling dealer's service department was borderline incompetent. We ended up going to the Thor factory service center in Elkhart -- twice! -- to fix problems, most of which a good dealer would have been able to handle. The factory people were awesome, though, and found and fixed issues we didn't even know we had, again mostly related to components supplied by others.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On our 2nd Thor Windsport. We know you get what you pay for except in RVs. If you follow this site every mfg has good and bad reviews. IMO its the luck of the draw. You will get better for more money so pick floor plan and pay what you can and enjoy. We have been very happy with both our coachs and yes they are on the low end of quality but we take care of the unit and drive under 5,000 per year.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #13

I suggest you type in the search box thor and read all the pages. What ever you do do not buy a used one ; as the second owner you will have no warranty whatsoever on the coach. The chassis will but zero from thor if its 1 second over the 12 months or you are the second owner.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #14

We have been fulltiming in our 2004 Damon Challenger on a Woprkhorse chassis and have had almost zero problems, few of which have required dealer repairs. I have upgraded several things - gas/electric water heater, Elite A&E awning, flat screen tv's, etc.. I would buy another Damon/Thor is a heartbeat.

Check out the tech sections of the RV magazines ( Motorhome, FMCA, Escapees and Highways. After a while you can get a good feel for which RV's tend to have more or less problems than others and which are really overrated.

Tags
thor