Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-02-2014, 01:20 AM   #15
Junior Member
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwky View Post
Hi all, big time lurker here for a long time. The DW and I got our first motorhome (2004 Itasca Spirit 31) back in January and have been loving RV'ing ever since. We are on the younger side of the RV crowd (31, no kids) but have used the RV far more often than we imagined we would. I own my business and generally work 6 days a week, but the feeling of just jumping in the camper and taking off somewhere, even if for only one night, is amazing. I'm a pilot, and even still thoroughly enjoy owning an RV over an airplane. I hear people complain about gas and I chuckle that I'm saving money Rv'ing vs putting $7 aviation fuel in a bird that burns 25 gallons per hour (Piper Aztec is my main mode of air travel). Anyways, we are so bit by the RV bug that my wife gets extremely heated that I like to spend most of my evening free time reading on these forums and researching/learning/comparing about everything RV.

This past sunday we decided to fly to Elkhart, IN on a whim to go to the RV show there. I had narrowed it down to a few Class A models that I thought would be great for us to upgrade to, **someday**. Those were the FR3, the Hurricane, the Vista and the new Miramar. I absolutely loved the FR3, but she felt like it was too similar to our current RV (floor plan was exact same, but she doesnt see things that we do like all the new features, construction, reliability, etc). She also really wanted a bath & and half floorplan. Well we toured all 4 of those models at the show, and one by one, we ruled out the ones that just didnt fit our "perfect" model. The FR3 was too similar, the Vista's dropdown bunk was a single berth (we camp with other married friends a lot and want a comfortable berth for them as well), and the Hurricane exterior storage was too small. I was drooling over the Miramar from the first moment I heard about it. Is it bad that one of the features I would dream about was large basement storage with side hinged doors? I hated having to hurt my back bending over and unlocking one side, unlatching the other and lifting up the top-hinged doors on the Itasca. And hoping they didn't get nudged and fall down on my head while pulling something out!

Other -musts- by me were an exterior TV, power leveling jacks, power awning, backup camera, linoleum/vinyl throughout (no more carpet stains!) and no short queen bed. The Miramar had everything we wanted except a double door fridge. After looking at dozens and dozens of floor plans and makes/models, the Miramar matched everything we wanted as closely as possible!

So then it came down to the price. I had already contacted RV Direct for a quote and was willing to buy from them, but reallllllllllly didn't want to wait 10 weeks or more! We have RV plans the next 8 weekends straight, literally. And surprisingly, the DW was willing to let me make an offer! So I told them straight up, I'd like to offer you a price, I don't want to haggle, you can accept or I'll buy from RV Direct, no big deal. However, there is a value in being able to get this RV now, and to deal with a nice dealership and nice folks like you (Total Value RV). So I showed them the RV Direct price and said I'm willing to pay you $XXXX more and that's all. They went off and had a pow-wow for a few minutes and came back and accepted my offer with one caveat, they wouldnt deal with taking my trade in. Thats fine, I'll certainly be able to sell it myself for more anyway!! We have a deal!!!!

I pick it up Thursday and am so excited, I have barely been able to sleep each night! I never would have dreamed I'd be buying a brand new Class A at this time in my life, but I love it. You know what they say, there's no luggage racks on a hearse! I got a great interest rate and term too on the financing. I just wanted to let you know my story and hope to drum up some more conversation about this new model RV! There's literally nothing on the web about it! No one on any message board seems to have one yet. Fingers crossed we don't have too many issues!! I'm sure there'll be a few. I'm hitching a ride back to Elkhart thursday and then heading straight to Indianapolis to camp at the Speedway for MotoGP races this weekend! I'm a former racer and diehard fan. If you see a Miramar on the road with a young kid driving with a big grin, honk at me!

Can you tell me why you didnt select the full body paint? Im sure one reason is cost; but any other reason? Im wondering if I could really do with out the full body to save on cost myself , just not sure if the HD MAX will hold up. It seems a lot of buyers are going after this new paint.
__________________

__________________
jchamplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2014, 08:24 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
jdwky's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: The Bluegrass State
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamplin View Post
Can you tell me why you didnt select the full body paint? Im sure one reason is cost; but any other reason? Im wondering if I could really do with out the full body to save on cost myself , just not sure if the HD MAX will hold up. It seems a lot of buyers are going after this new paint.
Yes you got it, cost. Was already at max budget even with the great deal we negotiated. However, if it is in your budget, I highly recommend you get full paint! The graphics are wayyyyyy too easy to snag & rip. I already have multiple little imperfections all over my coach in the 5 months I've had it. Not noticeable to an average person, but certainly noticeable and annoying to me. My next coach will definitely have full body paint.
__________________

__________________
2017 Dynamax Isata 5
2013 JKU toad
jdwky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #17
Junior Member
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwky View Post
Yes you got it, cost. Was already at max budget even with the great deal we negotiated. However, if it is in your budget, I highly recommend you get full paint! The graphics are wayyyyyy too easy to snag & rip. I already have multiple little imperfections all over my coach in the 5 months I've had it. Not noticeable to an average person, but certainly noticeable and annoying to me. My next coach will definitely have full body paint.
Rodger... wilco. Thanks for that bit of info. I will indeed get the full body paint, i like the Galaxy scheme. I do wish they had your colors in the full body paint as it would match our house. I visited a dealer yesterday and i was told; in a round about way, that Thor is updating something to the miramar but he was not allowed to go into details. So I pried a bit. It looks like some of the slides will have the hydralic systems. Might be good news finally for those who have the full wall slides. Also it is to my understanding that the slide that has the dinette is going to be flush to the floor when the slide is out instead of the raised floor it has now.
__________________
jchamplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
jdwky's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: The Bluegrass State
Posts: 508
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamplin View Post
Rodger... wilco. Thanks for that bit of info. I will indeed get the full body paint, i like the Galaxy scheme. I do wish they had your colors in the full body paint as it would match our house. I visited a dealer yesterday and i was told; in a round about way, that Thor is updating something to the miramar but he was not allowed to go into details. So I pried a bit. It looks like some of the slides will have the hydralic systems. Might be good news finally for those who have the full wall slides. Also it is to my understanding that the slide that has the dinette is going to be flush to the floor when the slide is out instead of the raised floor it has now.
Good luck, you will love it either way! Great coach, great layout, for the price range. No problems with slides. Knock on wood, knock on wood!

Seems they will always be updating coaches. I looked at 2014 Miramar, like mine, at the rv show a couple weeks ago and saw many changes that were different from mine. The thing I wish I had the most is the outdoor tv with door hinged at TOP, not bottom like mine.,.. Oh well, #FirstWorldProblems.
__________________
2017 Dynamax Isata 5
2013 JKU toad
jdwky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwky View Post
Good luck, you will love it either way! Great coach, great layout, for the price range. No problems with slides. Knock on wood, knock on wood!

Seems they will always be updating coaches. I looked at 2014 Miramar, like mine, at the rv show a couple weeks ago and saw many changes that were different from mine. The thing I wish I had the most is the outdoor tv with door hinged at TOP, not bottom like mine.,.. Oh well, #FirstWorldProblems.
Thanks... if I have any other questions I will PM you as I will still need to see the 34.1 in person. plus im tired of seeing the same old you tube videos. "aztec 2343 contact depature 112.5 good day."
__________________
jchamplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:38 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
jdwky's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: The Bluegrass State
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamplin View Post
Thanks... if I have any other questions I will PM you as I will still need to see the 34.1 in person. plus im tired of seeing the same old you tube videos. "aztec 2343 contact depature 112.5 good day."
Wilco

"Going to departure, see ya"
__________________
2017 Dynamax Isata 5
2013 JKU toad
jdwky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:25 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
mojoracing's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: northern IL
Posts: 2,557
When we bought our new MH, a must have was full body paint. I was sick and really tired of having to buff the gel coat. Never again. Congrats on the new MH!!
__________________
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:39 AM   #22
Member
 
Summerhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mid Michigan
Posts: 89
Thinking out loud, and wondering, if you couldn't paint the interior of your exterior television compartment a darker shade, perhaps match to the exterior color of the coach itself. I was wondering if you get any glare off of it now?
__________________
Summerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:09 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
oneal's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 447
Congratulations, sounds like everything worked out well for you
__________________
Neal, Tam, & JR
Elmo & Rosie (Cavaliers) Aggie (White Lab)
2014 Anthem 44DLQ
oneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:25 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwky View Post
I hear people complain about gas and I chuckle that I'm saving money Rv'ing vs putting $7 aviation fuel in a bird that burns 25 gallons per hour (Piper Aztec is my main mode of air travel).
That's funny. It would seem that you are getting around the magic 7mpg in the plane too.
__________________
1998 Bounder 36s V10 F53
ohhwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #25
Member
 
Spizzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 97
Congrats! It sounds like you are going to really enjoy your new coach!!

jeff
__________________
Spizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
jdwky's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: The Bluegrass State
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerhouse View Post
Thinking out loud, and wondering, if you couldn't paint the interior of your exterior television compartment a darker shade, perhaps match to the exterior color of the coach itself. I was wondering if you get any glare off of it now?
That's a good idea, it would certainly help with the glare. The other issues are that it dangles down now, blocking access to basement storage. And having it hinged up with those air shocks would also allow it to block some of the sunlight...
__________________
2017 Dynamax Isata 5
2013 JKU toad
jdwky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:37 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
jdwky's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: The Bluegrass State
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
That's funny. It would seem that you are getting around the magic 7mpg in the plane too.
Indeed! Sometimes up to 16 nmpg if the winds are favorable. However, fuel alone is double the price, and the airplane costs significantly more to operate in general too. We pay $130/hour [the engines are turning] into the piggy bank, so combined with 25 gph, you're looking around $300/hour to fly it. I love flying, but honestly the RV is a lot more fun and affordable.
__________________
2017 Dynamax Isata 5
2013 JKU toad
jdwky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
spritz's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: c above
Posts: 4,952
Our MH show starts on the 6th 2 days can't wait
I am not sure if I should go Are you kidding, Maybe I 'll take the MH down Wednesday night and be the first in line
OMotorhome Guru be good to me
JDWKY,
Your not alone
tb
__________________

__________________
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad: 1999 Deville Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
thor



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.