Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2014, 12:20 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwky View Post
Hi all, big time lurker here for a long time. The DW and I got our first motorhome (2004 Itasca Spirit 31) back in January and have been loving RV'ing ever since. We are on the younger side of the RV crowd (31, no kids) but have used the RV far more often than we imagined we would. I own my business and generally work 6 days a week, but the feeling of just jumping in the camper and taking off somewhere, even if for only one night, is amazing. I'm a pilot, and even still thoroughly enjoy owning an RV over an airplane. I hear people complain about gas and I chuckle that I'm saving money Rv'ing vs putting $7 aviation fuel in a bird that burns 25 gallons per hour (Piper Aztec is my main mode of air travel). Anyways, we are so bit by the RV bug that my wife gets extremely heated that I like to spend most of my evening free time reading on these forums and researching/learning/comparing about everything RV.

This past sunday we decided to fly to Elkhart, IN on a whim to go to the RV show there. I had narrowed it down to a few Class A models that I thought would be great for us to upgrade to, **someday**. Those were the FR3, the Hurricane, the Vista and the new Miramar. I absolutely loved the FR3, but she felt like it was too similar to our current RV (floor plan was exact same, but she doesnt see things that we do like all the new features, construction, reliability, etc). She also really wanted a bath & and half floorplan. Well we toured all 4 of those models at the show, and one by one, we ruled out the ones that just didnt fit our "perfect" model. The FR3 was too similar, the Vista's dropdown bunk was a single berth (we camp with other married friends a lot and want a comfortable berth for them as well), and the Hurricane exterior storage was too small. I was drooling over the Miramar from the first moment I heard about it. Is it bad that one of the features I would dream about was large basement storage with side hinged doors? I hated having to hurt my back bending over and unlocking one side, unlatching the other and lifting up the top-hinged doors on the Itasca. And hoping they didn't get nudged and fall down on my head while pulling something out!

Other -musts- by me were an exterior TV, power leveling jacks, power awning, backup camera, linoleum/vinyl throughout (no more carpet stains!) and no short queen bed. The Miramar had everything we wanted except a double door fridge. After looking at dozens and dozens of floor plans and makes/models, the Miramar matched everything we wanted as closely as possible!

So then it came down to the price. I had already contacted RV Direct for a quote and was willing to buy from them, but reallllllllllly didn't want to wait 10 weeks or more! We have RV plans the next 8 weekends straight, literally. And surprisingly, the DW was willing to let me make an offer! So I told them straight up, I'd like to offer you a price, I don't want to haggle, you can accept or I'll buy from RV Direct, no big deal. However, there is a value in being able to get this RV now, and to deal with a nice dealership and nice folks like you (Total Value RV). So I showed them the RV Direct price and said I'm willing to pay you $XXXX more and that's all. They went off and had a pow-wow for a few minutes and came back and accepted my offer with one caveat, they wouldnt deal with taking my trade in. Thats fine, I'll certainly be able to sell it myself for more anyway!! We have a deal!!!!

I pick it up Thursday and am so excited, I have barely been able to sleep each night! I never would have dreamed I'd be buying a brand new Class A at this time in my life, but I love it. You know what they say, there's no luggage racks on a hearse! I got a great interest rate and term too on the financing. I just wanted to let you know my story and hope to drum up some more conversation about this new model RV! There's literally nothing on the web about it! No one on any message board seems to have one yet. Fingers crossed we don't have too many issues!! I'm sure there'll be a few. I'm hitching a ride back to Elkhart thursday and then heading straight to Indianapolis to camp at the Speedway for MotoGP races this weekend! I'm a former racer and diehard fan. If you see a Miramar on the road with a young kid driving with a big grin, honk at me!

Can you tell me why you didnt select the full body paint? Im sure one reason is cost; but any other reason? Im wondering if I could really do with out the full body to save on cost myself , just not sure if the HD MAX will hold up. It seems a lot of buyers are going after this new paint.
jchamplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamplin View Post
Can you tell me why you didnt select the full body paint? Im sure one reason is cost; but any other reason? Im wondering if I could really do with out the full body to save on cost myself , just not sure if the HD MAX will hold up. It seems a lot of buyers are going after this new paint.
Yes you got it, cost. Was already at max budget even with the great deal we negotiated. However, if it is in your budget, I highly recommend you get full paint! The graphics are wayyyyyy too easy to snag & rip. I already have multiple little imperfections all over my coach in the 5 months I've had it. Not noticeable to an average person, but certainly noticeable and annoying to me. My next coach will definitely have full body paint.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:09 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Yes you got it, cost. Was already at max budget even with the great deal we negotiated. However, if it is in your budget, I highly recommend you get full paint! The graphics are wayyyyyy too easy to snag & rip. I already have multiple little imperfections all over my coach in the 5 months I've had it. Not noticeable to an average person, but certainly noticeable and annoying to me. My next coach will definitely have full body paint.
Rodger... wilco. Thanks for that bit of info. I will indeed get the full body paint, i like the Galaxy scheme. I do wish they had your colors in the full body paint as it would match our house. I visited a dealer yesterday and i was told; in a round about way, that Thor is updating something to the miramar but he was not allowed to go into details. So I pried a bit. It looks like some of the slides will have the hydralic systems. Might be good news finally for those who have the full wall slides. Also it is to my understanding that the slide that has the dinette is going to be flush to the floor when the slide is out instead of the raised floor it has now.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:52 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
Rodger... wilco. Thanks for that bit of info. I will indeed get the full body paint, i like the Galaxy scheme. I do wish they had your colors in the full body paint as it would match our house. I visited a dealer yesterday and i was told; in a round about way, that Thor is updating something to the miramar but he was not allowed to go into details. So I pried a bit. It looks like some of the slides will have the hydralic systems. Might be good news finally for those who have the full wall slides. Also it is to my understanding that the slide that has the dinette is going to be flush to the floor when the slide is out instead of the raised floor it has now.
Good luck, you will love it either way! Great coach, great layout, for the price range. No problems with slides. Knock on wood, knock on wood!

Seems they will always be updating coaches. I looked at 2014 Miramar, like mine, at the rv show a couple weeks ago and saw many changes that were different from mine. The thing I wish I had the most is the outdoor tv with door hinged at TOP, not bottom like mine.,.. Oh well, #FirstWorldProblems.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:31 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Good luck, you will love it either way! Great coach, great layout, for the price range. No problems with slides. Knock on wood, knock on wood!

Seems they will always be updating coaches. I looked at 2014 Miramar, like mine, at the rv show a couple weeks ago and saw many changes that were different from mine. The thing I wish I had the most is the outdoor tv with door hinged at TOP, not bottom like mine.,.. Oh well, #FirstWorldProblems.
Thanks... if I have any other questions I will PM you as I will still need to see the 34.1 in person. plus im tired of seeing the same old you tube videos. "aztec 2343 contact depature 112.5 good day."
Old 02-02-2014, 11:38 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks... if I have any other questions I will PM you as I will still need to see the 34.1 in person. plus im tired of seeing the same old you tube videos. "aztec 2343 contact depature 112.5 good day."
Wilco

"Going to departure, see ya"
Old 02-03-2014, 12:25 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When we bought our new MH, a must have was full body paint. I was sick and really tired of having to buff the gel coat. Never again. Congrats on the new MH!!
Old 02-03-2014, 02:39 AM   #22

Thinking out loud, and wondering, if you couldn't paint the interior of your exterior television compartment a darker shade, perhaps match to the exterior color of the coach itself. I was wondering if you get any glare off of it now?
Summerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:09 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Congratulations, sounds like everything worked out well for you
oneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:25 AM   #24

Quote:
I hear people complain about gas and I chuckle that I'm saving money Rv'ing vs putting $7 aviation fuel in a bird that burns 25 gallons per hour (Piper Aztec is my main mode of air travel).
That's funny. It would seem that you are getting around the magic 7mpg in the plane too.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:31 AM   #25

Congrats! It sounds like you are going to really enjoy your new coach!!

jeff
Spizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:33 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerhouse View Post
Thinking out loud, and wondering, if you couldn't paint the interior of your exterior television compartment a darker shade, perhaps match to the exterior color of the coach itself. I was wondering if you get any glare off of it now?
That's a good idea, it would certainly help with the glare. The other issues are that it dangles down now, blocking access to basement storage. And having it hinged up with those air shocks would also allow it to block some of the sunlight...
Old 02-03-2014, 07:37 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
That's funny. It would seem that you are getting around the magic 7mpg in the plane too.
Indeed! Sometimes up to 16 nmpg if the winds are favorable. However, fuel alone is double the price, and the airplane costs significantly more to operate in general too. We pay $130/hour [the engines are turning] into the piggy bank, so combined with 25 gph, you're looking around $300/hour to fly it. I love flying, but honestly the RV is a lot more fun and affordable.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Our MH show starts on the 6th 2 days can't wait
I am not sure if I should go Are you kidding, Maybe I 'll take the MH down Wednesday night and be the first in line
OMotorhome Guru be good to me
JDWKY,
Your not alone
tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor