Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2017, 08:55 PM   #15
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I'm a tad biased being I own a Dutch Star. However Newmar is hands down a better MH.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2017, 08:13 AM   #16

The V-10 Triton engine moves our 38 foot Challenger around quite nicely. I don't think I would worry about that issue.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:44 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesdg View Post
Jayco is owned by Thor.
To be correct, Jayco is owned by Thor Industries which also owns Jayco/Entegra and several 5th wheel lines. Don't forget Airstream either.

But to the OP's question...Don't get me wrong, I've seen a couple Thor MH products and after seeing the workmanship and set ups wouldn't want one. I've seen some of the dumbest things in their high end product I can't imagine how badly they build lower end ones. BTW...they pay employees by the piece...anyone in manufacturing will tell you that is not incentive to build for quality.

I really hate trashing any brand. It sounds like I'm personally insulting the owners. Still...I've seen what I have seen.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:50 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
BTW...All Newmar products are built on the same line by the same people that build anything from the lowest end gasser to the highest level DP.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:53 AM   #19

Echoing Newmar.. any day!
ClasAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:14 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzor View Post
The Thor I am looking at has a GVWR of 24000 and a GCWR of 30000 leaving 6000 lb towing capacity.

The Newmar is a 22000 GVWR but only a 26000 GVWR so only 4000 lb towing capacity.

My current toad is 4650 lbs, and I dont want to have to purchase a new vehicle as well.

What makes the difference between GVWR and GCWR ? Could I have the Newmar reinforced to support towing 5000 lbs ?

I have a Bay Star 3406 ordered with delivery expected in October. Asked for the 24K lb chassis as a special and was approved. Not necessarily a cheap upgrade but having the extra cargo capacity and ability to tow up to the 5k hitch was important. And couldn't agree more on the fit and finish of the Newmar models that I noticed when looking at various manufacturers.

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:04 AM   #21

I hate to rock the "Thor Sucks" boat, but our experience is almost the exact opposite. We walked into the show in Raleigh last February with a short list of 5ers and walked out with a new Thor WS31 Quantum. We walked in and this coach was the third one that we had looked at. We found a big thing on this one that wasn't on any other class C or class A in our range. Later we found the exact 5er we were looking for except the garage was too small. We were willing to h/a to the dealership and would have been there 15/25 minutes before closing, but the rep at the show refused to even call and see if someone would stay a few minutes late to look at that single unit. We came back to this class C and sat down with a VP from Thor. We went through this coach and looked all through the cabinets and mechanical. We went and did the PDI on the following Wednesday. Since the first week in March, it has been back to the dealer twice. Once for a fiberglass tab in the LED panel on the overhead that had broken and the light was loose, and the second was to get LP on my way to a camping trip. I have a running list of things to address under warranty. The worst things on the list are mainly from wires and hoses that crimp or bind (or where) when the slide moves. I have addressed most of this simply by moving a hose or using wire ties to hold the bundle together an inch higher to avoid the slide. I may replace two of the flexible plastic lines with longer stainless flexible lines just to give them a little more room to move. I met with the same VP yesterday and told him that the biggest QC complaint that I had was the lack of clean up and out as areas were completed. After growing up in a Ford dealership and having helped build racecars, if I see a screw laying somewhere, I try find out where it came from. The fit and finish of my cabinets and everything else is great. I know that ours is one of the first made with this interior cabinets and also one of the first sent to a new Thor dealer. After reading all the negativity, I was afraid I had made the worst mistake of my life. I find that this coach has been a great buy, especially for something with so many moving parts. Do I want to make upgrades to certain items? Yes. Do I understand the choices made for equipping the coach? Also yes. I also know that the Thor family makes the vast majority of the RVs in the market today, thus would proportionally have a higher rate of complaints.

I watched a series of videos on the building of a Tiffin coach. I saw some of the same things that are complaints on Thor coaches, and a few things that I don't like on any coach, regardless of the make. I would hate to see what the price point would be to have everything perfect and all of the systems QC tested to real world standards. If Thor was having all of the QC issues, then the dealers would be dropping them. Look through the price points of all coaches across all lines and the lower the price point, the lower the QC and yes, corners will be cut. Do the corners affect the structure ? Sometime, mostly not.

But I will ask a parting question.... How many will take the same effort to post a positive experience that will take the time to post a negative one?
Old 08-27-2017, 10:41 AM   #22

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Considering our next RV to live in for a year+.

We were set on the Newmar Bay Star 3406 (with bunkbeds) but today we saw the Thor Miramar 37.1 w/ bunkbeds. Having the 2nd bathroom is nice, but not a must have, and having the W/D prep is nice but also not a must have.

We have the following questions
1. How does Thor build quality at that price point differ from Newmar? We saw some nicer things in the Thor that the Newmar does not have.

2. Is it more of an issue finding an RV park for a 39' vs a 35' unit? (towing a dinghy)

3. I would assume that the extra length and 2nd bathroom (and most likely a W/D) comes with a lot of additional weight which is evidenced by the larger F53 chassis in the Thor. However they are the same engine. Will the Thor be slower up hills, slower to accelerate or will I just not notice a difference?

Would like to hear thoughts between the 2 options, assuming the floor plan is fine in either case.
Newmar, of course and do take a look at the 1 1/2 bath Canyon Star, even if you have to back up some years. Don't worry about the length and the bigger the better, unless it won't fit in your driveway. I've never found engine power to be a problem with any of them, unless you insist on being KING OF THE MOUNTAIN.
Our 41ft is about it for us and considering that we wanted to forgo the tag axle, this time around. Every park we've ever been in, has had large coaches, including the state and national parks and don't think that there are that many, who have people that know how to measure a site. Really funny with the ones that have a log for stopping your rear travel and don't consider how much overhang, you might have.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel4Work View Post
I have a Bay Star 3406 ordered with delivery expected in October. Asked for the 24K lb chassis as a special and was approved. Not necessarily a cheap upgrade but having the extra cargo capacity and ability to tow up to the 5k hitch was important. And couldn't agree more on the fit and finish of the Newmar models that I noticed when looking at various manufacturers.

Bill
Hi,

How do you go about getting this order with a 24K chassis? Did you work through a dealer? If you don't mind, ballpark how much did it cost to go with the 24K chassis?
randomguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:29 AM   #24

Quote:
Hi,

How do you go about getting this order with a 24K chassis? Did you work through a dealer? If you don't mind, ballpark how much did it cost to go with the 24K chassis?
Newmar only sells to dealers, not individuals. You would need to work through a dealer.

Custom orders placed today would see delivery in April/May 2018 according to what I read on another thread.

Sorry I can't answer that specific question.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:17 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
If Thor was having all of the QC issues, then the dealers would be dropping them.
Midway RV stopped selling Thor because of quality issues according to someone I spoke to that works there.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:54 AM   #26

Take a look at this video showing how Newmar constructs their motorhomes versus most of the other manufacturers. This video settled our decision.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #27

I know Thors aren't popular on this forum but we were in the same boat as we really liked the Newmar Baystar 3401. We had pretty much decided to purchase the Newmar. We attended the big Tampa RV supershow back in January and I didn't look at any Thor product until right before we left the show. On the way out, we looked at a couple Miramars. We fell in love with the 35.3 floorplan. We spent about 45 minutes going over every inch of that Miramar and the wife and I both agreed that the fit and finish was just as good as the Baystar. Cabinets, furniture and general fit and finish were very good. We ended up ordering a 2018 Miramar 35.3 and we love it. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either model. I can't speak for the other Thor models but we are very happy with the Miramar.
MetalGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:36 AM   #28

It's not even a fair comparison. The Newmar wins hands down. The problem for the OP are the weights. If that model Newmar can't (shouldn't!) tow the existing toad well then that Newmar should NOT be considered. Or the OP needs a new toad.
Newmar and Thor quality is just not in the same league nor is the price.

Tags
newmar, thor