Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2016, 11:28 AM   #1

Thor Palazzo Vs. Newmar Canyon Star. What would you buy?

I didn't realize I can buy a new Palazzo diesel pusher for about the same money as a new Newmar Canyon Star gas coach.

I'm going to see and drive each of them next week and would like to know what you think and things for me to look for?

Thanks for your help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2016, 11:36 AM   #2

We looked at both too, as we also saw they were close in price. We read all the reviews and issues people were having with both and the Newmar quality seems to be a lot better. We never drove the Palazzo, but we didn't really think the fit and finish was as good as the Newmar, when looking at it in person. We talked to a friend who has the Palazzo and he loves it. I guess in the end we chose the Newmar for two reasons, it is a higher end gas model MH with a proven track record, where the Palazzo is their entry level diesel(so we were told) and I really did prefer a gas engine over the diesel. This is based on info from two years ago when we bought.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:41 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar.
Even though it's a gaaser, it's better built.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:00 PM   #4

Thor also has an owners group on this board. You may want to look in there as well. I'm partial to Newmar, since I own one. I have heard bad things about both, but that being said, I don't think you can beat the Newmar for Fit, Finish and amenities. Their after the sale customer service is excellent. I would have no problem buying another one from them. Even comparing a gas coach to a DP, I would still have to give the nod to Newmar.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #5

First, a salute to the improvements of Thor's product line over the last 5 or so years. They have really made improvements in both design freshness and component and materials usage.

That being said, Newmar's craftsmanship is IMO still superior to Thor's.

Opinions vary, and buy the coach that fits your desires best, and of course, budget!!

Smitty
Old 04-08-2016, 01:26 PM   #6

I've always felt better about a top of the line gas coach, Newmar and Tiffin especially. I know that everyone is all hats and horns over a diesel pusher and I get that. I also get that if something goes wrong with them you better hang onto your nickers!

But I wonder how many folks have really looking at the new top of the line gas coaches from a company like Newmar? I understand that a diesel will go 500,000 plus miles, heavier chassis, air breaks and shocks and rear engine less noise etc and I'm not discounting any of that.

That said, a Newmar Canyon Star has all the top trappings and has been built long enough that the kinks have been worked out of the product line. Freight liner and Cummens are great products but the Ford chassis and drive train has been around awhile as well. And as I said earlier, I feel good about a gas coach and make no apologies for it!

Thanks for your comments and I especially enjoy that some of them are from Newmar gas owners. That just seems right somehow!
Old 04-08-2016, 02:48 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
No problems with ours. I got rid of my gasser for the Palazzo DP because of the noise from the engine. Best decision I ever made.

I don't know about Newmar I never looked at one.
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers - RVM#128
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
I've always felt better about a top of the line gas coach, Newmar and Tiffin especially. I know that everyone is all hats and horns over a diesel pusher and I get that. I also get that if something goes wrong with them you better hang onto your nickers!

But I wonder how many folks have really looking at the new top of the line gas coaches from a company like Newmar? I understand that a diesel will go 500,000 plus miles, heavier chassis, air breaks and shocks and rear engine less noise etc and I'm not discounting any of that.

That said, a Newmar Canyon Star has all the top trappings and has been built long enough that the kinks have been worked out of the product line. Freight liner and Cummens are great products but the Ford chassis and drive train has been around awhile as well. And as I said earlier, I feel good about a gas coach and make no apologies for it!

Thanks for your comments and I especially enjoy that some of them are from Newmar gas owners. That just seems right somehow!
The only advantage I see with the Palazzo are the things associated with a diesel (i.e. air ride/brakes, engine noise). The Canyon Star has the same GVWR and towing capacity as a Palazzo so no advantage with a heavier chassis. With us, we looked at Palazzo prior to purchasing our first Class A, Tiffin Allegro 36LA. It was like comparing a low end compact car (Palazzo) and a high end BMW/Mercedes (Tiffin). Fit/finish and quality of cabinetry/electronics used was way above what the Palazzo offered. Another thing to consider, is problems Palazzo has had with their slides. Newmar created the slideout in motorhomes and it works very well.
John (USAF Retired) & Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (cat) Bella (dog) Future RV ???; Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:19 PM   #9

We were on the road fulltime for nearly 12 years in a gasoline powered coach and it took us everywhere that even the most expensive pusher would have, if perhaps a little more humbly. It didn't win races, but we didn't RV to race and it did save us a major amount of money costing far less over the years. I have no regrets at all in our choice of gas RV, but I would go with the Newmar, without any hesitation!
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:28 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There were a lot of issues initially with the Palazzo and Schwintek slides. They only put one on each side and it was a failure. Many got stuck with having to pay to add a second one, like our friends.

I think they look nice from a distance, but found they use some really cheap components. It's a tough call.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:44 PM   #11

Palazzo Owner

We are almost at three years on our Palazzo. Our coach was the second year of the large wall slide with the Schwintech operators. Yes we had problems. Thor repaired and eventually upgraded to the double track system. We upgraded to our Palazzo from a gas coach of comparable quality. To me the difference in the gas coach and the diesel was worth the upgrade. I am sure Newmar makes a good quality coach, but it is unfair to try and compare the gas coach to the diesel and think you are making a fair comparison. Our coach is getting us where we want to go and fairly economically. We generally get better than 10 MPG where we were getting near 6 with the gas coach. Also we can carry on a conversation while driving, even up hill. Below the coach is a Freightliner chassis which is as good as anything else out there and is backed by a very good service team. For an extra $100k I could upgrade to a Newmar diesel that is comparable in length and it is probably worth the extra money. Our Palazzo fits our needs at this time. If we do upgrade in the future, it will probably be to a Thor product, as we like the folks we have met who are part of the Thor Diesel Club and we think Thor has done right by us on service.
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:02 AM   #12

I've been looking at Newmars and Tiffins but I'm tempted to buy a Thor just to be perverse.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
I've been looking at Newmars and Tiffins but I'm tempted to buy a Thor just to be perverse.

Now that some funny stuff there !!

As to the palazzo which I owned one for 22 month

In my tenure with mine I found that everything under the floor was great. The ride & drive ok. Fuel economy great. 10+. Motor-transmission great.

The fit & finish in the coach has much to be desired for. They call it entry level. So I guess that means to cut corners were they can to save $$. We had numerous issues that had to be repaired. Finally just gave up and traded it in. I would note that it always got us home. Never had to walk. Lol

As to the gas Newmar I know nothing about it.

Russell
Old 04-09-2016, 07:28 AM   #14

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDu View Post
We are almost at three years on our Palazzo. Our coach was the ...
agreed - our 2013 Blackwood bunkhouse fifth wheel was great, our 2015 GeorgetownXLDS360 gasser was a great build and quality(similar to a CanyonStar), but the 2014 Palazzo 33.3 bunkhouse DP is what has worked best for us - 47k miles in 20 months thru Canada and across this country several times from KeyWest to Seattle to SanDiego to Maine, and to Thor's service center in WakarusaIN several times - they have taken well care of us...

and 11.4 mpg average - nice
: )

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, thor