Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
Thor Serrano 33A Question

Been thinking about an upgrade from Class C to Class A and really like the Thor Serrano 33A - style, layout and price are very attractive.
(Love the Phaetons but a bit out of reach)

Anyone have any experience with this brand / model? The Workhorse diesel chassis and over 13mpg seems really nice!

Appreciate any feedback - Thanks

A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Rkc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 31V, but I'm afraid theres not much I can tell you. We picked it up in Dec so we haven't camped in it yet. Things I do know. My mileage is a stated, I drove from Montreal to Halifax and did at least that. It drives well, Neither my wife or I had ever driving anything like it. Within a few short miles we felt like pros. When people ask me how it drives I tell them it's like a sports car, a really big sports car. Very good turning radius, Backs into spots quite easily. We love the floor plan. It's a 50 Amp coach, can't ask for anything more than that. We have done a couple of day trips, with the mileage and comfort we get it makes sense to load the family up and go for a drive in it rather than stuff ourselves in to the Sebring. Oh yeah, Tons of storage.
Like I said we haven't camped in it yet so I can't speak to the systems required for that, but everything else has been fine.
So far I have had a pleasant experience, there are at least 2 others here who's experience has not been so positive.
As near as I can tell from reading the posts in here regarding the purchase of any MH, big or small, expensve or not, it is caveat emptor. As wrong as it may be it seems they all have bugs.
Choose wisely Grasshopper, lol
Good luck and Happy Motoring,

Stewart & Kim. 2011 Serrano 31V, MaxForce 7 w/ Allison 6 Sp. Fiat 500 Sport Diesel Pusher.
Surge Guard 3450, TST 510, Sliverleaf VMSpc, RVND 7710. Blue Ox Tow. 2010 Arctic Cat 700 TRV.
Someday your life may flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Originally Posted by Rkc02 View Post
Anyone have any experience with this brand / model? The Workhorse diesel chassis and over 13mpg seems really nice!
Welcome Rkc02 to the Community. From what is being discussed here by our several MaxxForce powered Workhorse owners is that 13 MPG may be a bit ambitious however 11.5 to 12 appears the norm. The Workhorse chassis and the powertrain will no doubt give you a lot of driving pleasure.

The coach body is meeting with some folks that are not 100% satisfied to folks that are very pleased with their Serrano purchase. Are you looking at buying a 2012 model? I'm sure that it will be nice. The Serrano that I was recently in appeared very nice inside with opposing slideouts. The leather seating surfaces were comfortable.

You indeed have come to the right place to get the best information about your Serrano and Workhorse chassis.
03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
I did exactly that -- upgraded from a 31' Class C to the Serrano 2012 33A. Took delivery in ealry January and almost immediately hit the road. Here is a recent post of mine from the Thor forum:
"We left north Idaho on Jan 14th just before a big snow storm hit. Are now in Myrtle Beach, SC after a 6 week, 4300 mile 'shakedown' trip. Have driven in rain, freezing rain, snow, sleet, sunshine, wind; over mountains and across plains and deserts. Towing a 2011 Honda CR-V and averaging about 11.5 mpg. Have had extended stays in Tucson, San Antonio and Orlando while other times drove 2-3 days in a row.
No major issues with the Serrano .... but am making a list of minor items, which, if I were more handy with tools i could most likely fix myself. None of these minor items will keep us from completing our journey back to Idaho in May. Very pleased with its handling and its quality.
Many thanks to other Serrano owners who reported issues with theirs as that has made me more aware of potential problems."

Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions.
John & Susan
2012 Newmar Canyon Star 3856; 2011 Honda CR-V
Acemart is offline   Reply With Quote

serrano, thor