Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2015, 01:10 AM   #1

Unhappy Those cloudy 1999 Southwind windows

After using a buffer and buffering agent to remove the white haze from the windows, quite a job, it's back like some kind of nightmare.

It's coming from the white rubber roof when there's a very heavy rain. It runs down the sides, over the windows and leaves a haze on the window glass that is almost impossible to remove. What can this stuff be? The last owner said he never did anything to the roof. Never painted it. Never treated it with anything - nothing!

Anyone else have this problem with a white rubber roof? What did you do to stop it from happening?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2015, 02:26 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Sounds like it is time for a new roof membrane or you can put on "Liquid Roof".

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Sounds like it is time for a new roof membrane or you can put on "Liquid Roof".
Would that seal in the white stuff or even stick to the roof with that loose white stuff on it do you think?
Old 10-12-2015, 06:21 AM   #4

I used two part dicor on my old 1994 PaceArrow. It made it look like new and no more streaks. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...g-gallon/32151
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:09 AM   #5

Thank you for the replies. It looks like it's time for some Liquid Roof or Dicor.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:49 AM   #6

We just finished applying Liquid Roof to our 36 foot motorhome, so I can offer some tips from our experience. I spent a lot of time prepping the roof before sealing it. We removed all the vent and A/C covers and cleaned and sealed their edges. I found that the best way to remove the white, chalky “top coat” residue from the roof was light pressure with a green scrub pad using a random orbital polisher and lots of water. We masked off the perimeter of the roof and applied Liquid Roof around the vents and A/Cs and the the rounded edges of the roof with a brush and 2 inch roller.

Tip #1: I recommend that the perimeter masking include plastic sheeting down the sides of the motorhome. This would allow the top coat of Liquid Roof to level itself and flow over the edges giving an even coating and lessening the appearance of drips. We would still put a smaller first coat around the edges and not fight against drips from a heavier coating.

Tip #2: Measure and mark sections of the roof surface equal to the 42 sq ft per gallon coverage recommendation and pour each gallon in a section. Use a small squeegee (10 inches or so--bigger isn't better for this job) to spread the Liquid Roof and let it settle out on its own. If a roller is used to cover missed areas, use it sparingly and gently to avoid thinning the coating. (Our application ended up thinner than recommended as we didn't pre-measure the roof for each gallon and were overly aggressive with a roller.)

Tip #3: Mix one gallon at a time. Use a heavy duty drill for mixing. A cheap homeowner drill will be very taxed in mixing Liquid Roof. Don't worry about color match among gallons as any color differences, if any, are insignificant. One gallon at a time is tough enough to mix.

Final tip: Two or more people should be available to do this job. One on the roof spreading a gallon at a time, and another mixing the next can. The person with the stronger arms should the mixing!

Good luck with your project. Our roof came out great, even though we now know it could have been easier and better with these tips.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:58 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
After using a buffer and buffering agent to remove the white haze from the windows, quite a job, it's back like some kind of nightmare.

It's coming from the white rubber roof when there's a very heavy rain. It runs down the sides, over the windows and leaves a haze on the window glass that is almost impossible to remove. What can this stuff be? The last owner said he never did anything to the roof. Never painted it. Never treated it with anything - nothing!

Anyone else have this problem with a white rubber roof? What did you do to stop it from happening?
I recently recoated the roof of my '99 Southwind 36Z with Plas-T-Cote I bought from PPL Motorhomes. Following the prep directions I first scrubbed the roof with a "strong detergent". I used a strong solution of powdered laundry detergent applied with a stiff-bristle, stand-up brush to save my old knees and back, then hosed it off and let it air dry.

The application of the coating was done with a sash brush to cut around the hatches and ACs. Then I used the same brush to do the roof edges, operating from a step ladder, since I did not want to risk doing a header into the driveway while leaning over the side. Finally I rolled on two coats of Plas-T-Cote with an ordinary long-nap paint-roller, again with a long handle.

Two gallons gave me two-coat coverage on my coach, with about a quart to spare. It cured overnight and the results are spectacular. The chalking down the sides and windows of the coach is a thing of the past.

PPL is running a sale on quarts, right now.

Rambow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
southwind, window