Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2015, 03:36 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Those pesky white streaks!

Our new to us Endeavor with full body paint has those pesky white streaks running off the roof where a/c and rain runoff brought the roof chalking down the sides. I have taken care of the source...now the problem is how to remove the streaks from the paint on the sides.

I'v used every cleaner I have..409, Simple Green, Blue Coral car wash, even a vinegar/water mixture. Nothing seems to get them to come off. I even waxed a sample area with Turtle Wax to no avail.

What have you used to successfully remove those streaks from the paint?

Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 03:40 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Chuck, I don't understand. Our coach has full-body paint and I can wipe the streaks off with a dry cloth!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:50 PM   #3

Yeah Joe, that's what I was hoping too! I'm not sure why, but they are very stubborn. I've scrubbed with everything I have and nothing seems to have any effect on them. On the glass, Invisible Glass gets them right off. I even tried some of that on a small spot of the paint, but didn't work either.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There's a lot of YouTube videos on car detailing using Magic Eraser. My Wife says it may scratch the clear coat but it may be worth looking into.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:02 PM   #5

I have ordered some DSI Black Streak remover after trying a sample. I never see the white streaks though.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:03 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try NuFinish. You can pick up a bottle at WalMart for about $8. Really never heard of the streaks being that stubborn.
Steve N Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:23 PM   #7

I know, I've not seen anything this stubborn either. My previous coach was not paint, but gelcoat and vinyl graphics. I never had this problem with it.

It's not like they are actually white streaks.. its like there are tracks where the white streaks were. You can't see them until you look at it the sun or under my garage lights just right.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:16 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Any good cleaner wax like Meguiars or Mothers and a good micro fiber cloth. The other stuff you listed will strip the wax off. The wax needs to be a cleaner wax and not just a polish.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:13 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

If wash-type products won't take it off, you probably need to polish the finish with an automotive type cleaner/wax. There must have been something unusually nasty in the chalky runoff that stained the clear coat a bit. Paint chalk alone usually washes off, but industrial chemicals in the air or rainfall sometimes mix with the chalk to make a nasty cocktail.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:46 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
At a seminar recently a lady talked about using alcohol for white streaks on windows, but also warned about damage to the paint.......
Old 08-15-2015, 01:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzcar View Post
Any good cleaner wax like Meguiars or Mothers and a good micro fiber cloth. The other stuff you listed will strip the wax off. The wax needs to be a cleaner wax and not just a polish.
I went out this morning and bought a can of Meguiars cleaner/wax. I really hoped that would help but it doesn't have any impact on it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
There must have been something unusually nasty in the chalky runoff that stained the clear coat a bit. Paint chalk alone usually washes off, but industrial chemicals in the air or rainfall sometimes mix with the chalk to make a nasty cocktail.
That's what I'm beginning to think. I've never had anything like this on RV/Car/Boat. I'm wondering if someone didn't use something on the roof they shouldn't have. And it's not like you can see it in normal circumstances. In fact, you have to be looking at a reflected light... then it is very noticeable.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:07 PM   #12

If you have to look at it in reflected light it's probably etched into the clear coat. Possibly someone washed the roof with a strong soap or chemical wash and didn't rinse it soon enough. You may have to polish it out and then re wax.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
Old 08-15-2015, 03:39 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post
If you have to look at it in reflected light it's probably etched into the clear coat. Possibly someone washed the roof with a strong soap or chemical wash and didn't rinse it soon enough. You may have to polish it out and then re wax.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX

You may have nailed it!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:20 PM   #14

when we were looking at our coach to buy, it was badly stained and water spotted. I told them (dealer) I wanted a guarantee that it would come clean. they sent the lot boy over that washes all the units and he used a 10x dilution of wheel acid on the paint in small areas washed off right away and everything came off!!! Amazed the hell out of me!! all good and shiny still today 3yrs later!! I use wash/wax soap when i wash.