Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2018, 06:44 PM   #1

Thoughts, 1998 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 37WDS

Any thoughts/opinions/concerns with NLA (no longer available) parts (chassis/engine) with one of these units? Any major chassis recalls or chassis component failures? How does low-sulfur diesel impact older non-DEF engines?

The unit I am asking about is optioned with the smooth aluminum exterior, so delamination is not a problem. Online HR only has brochures back to 2001, which I know is similar, but I am unsure about the diesel engine and the differences between engine revisions and model years (this one is powered by Cummins, but I have not yet identified the model number). The unit has always been owned by my family was taken for yearly service at the Freightliner plant in Gaffney, SC until about 3-4 years ago. It starts, drives, and it was used to camp in fall of 2017. It has been driven about 72-75k miles.

My current motorhome is a 2003 Hurricane 30q based off the F53 chassis with a 2v V10. It has been an extremely trouble-free unit, so I want to make sure I am going into potential DP ownership armed with some knowledge.

I do my own service work, but primarily work on older European turbo and naturally aspirated engines. Due this, I am curious if there are any major considerations when working on an older diesel unit.

Thanks for the insights!
BeachRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2018, 06:59 PM   #2

I think you will find no difficulty obtaining parts or service for the Endeavor chassis and powertrain. The difficulty, if there is any, is the age of the appliances and electronics. There are enough other members here with this vintage of HR coaches that you should have an easy time finding support and resources. You can determine ULSD compatibility directly from Cummins. I think it isn’t a problem. I wouldn’t give up on the Endeavor. These are well-built coaches.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:37 PM   #3

slowmachine, thank you. The appliances or electronics are not too much of a concern. I am more interested in a better wall construction (aluminum vs wood), roof construction (fiberglass vs TPO), and heavier duty chassis motorhome to customize/update/refurbish.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:08 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have the brochure for the 1998 HR Endeavor. File is too big for IRV2. PM me or post your email address and I will send it to you.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
I have the brochure for the 1998 HR Endeavor. File is too big for IRV2. PM me or post your email address and I will send it to you.
Thanks! I sent my e-mail.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:53 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
HR made a good product and many are still on the road. Very solid.

If you have specific engine questions there is a Cummins website called Quickserve that you can join, enter the engine SN and get a wealth of information including the fuel system and service bulletins which should answer our fuel questions.

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

It also has parts diagrams for sourcing parts.

Most chassis parts are common to OTR trucks and available from multiple sources if you know what it is and where to look. Any good truck service shop can help and there are Cummins shops across the US.

On Yahoo there is a Monaco a couple of based groups.

The Monacoers is very active and has a number of very knowledgeable people willing to help. They also have developed an extensive parts listing for the various coaches, it is a great resorce.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:10 PM   #7

jacwjames, thank you for the resources.

After reviewing the brochure (thanks again veraken!), I am sad to see the hitch is only a 4k which is less than the 5k on my gasser. Plus it is more than likely to be to be powered by the 5.9l ISB 275hp engine. While the construction is good, I am a bit disappointed in the engine and the tow rating.

It seems at least in 2001+ HR really upped the game by moving to the ISC engine and upped the hitch rating to 10k (I know there is a different chassis on these units).

I really was looking forward the extra towing capacity to tow a car trailer. And, we are considering a Jeep Cherokee V6 Trailhawk as a toad which is above 4k in weight.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:20 PM   #8

There are a lot of performance parts for the 5.9 that can provide substantial power increase, within the limits of the transmission. If you’re thinking about it at all, I can tell you that Freightliner will not discuss heavier-duty hitches or increased towing capacity for any chassis prior to 2006, which is the year that they began providing the hitch as part of the delivered chassis. It is likely that the weakest link in the towing configuration is the transmission. A phone call to Freightliner will get you the rated capacities of axles, brakes, and transmission. I’d bet there is some additional towing capacity to be found by upgrading the hitch, but no real possibility of changing the data plate numbers. I intend to beef mine up past the 5000 lb. factory rating, and tow what I want.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
There are a lot of performance parts for the 5.9 that can provide substantial power increase, within the limits of the transmission. If you’re thinking about it at all, I can tell you that Freightliner will not discuss heavier-duty hitches or increased towing capacity for any chassis prior to 2006, which is the year that they began providing the hitch as part of the delivered chassis. It is likely that the weakest link in the towing configuration is the transmission. A phone call to Freightliner will get you the rated capacities of axles, brakes, and transmission. I’d bet there is some additional towing capacity to be found by upgrading the hitch, but no real possibility of changing the data plate numbers. I intend to beef mine up past the 5000 lb. factory rating, and tow what I want.
Oh, I am not afraid of engine upgrades. More air + more fuel = more power and more need to dissipate heat.

Can you really upgrade the tow-capacity? I thought that rating is set by the manufactures. Looking at the 1998 brochure (weights attached below), it is only about 5k difference between the GVWR and the GCWR. The 2001+ with the Roadmaster chassis has 10k between GVWR and GCWR.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weights.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	197449  
Old 03-31-2018, 08:54 PM   #10

I intend to tow only a four-down vehicle that will place nearly no weight on the hitch, and which has its own brake system. I am concerned mostly with the ability to stop the Gross Combined Weight. I think that, even with the excessive towed weight, that I will be at or near the factory GCWR, but beyond the rating of the factory hitch. Essentially, I will drop weight from the MH to keep the total weight down.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:52 PM   #11

slowmachine, that makes since. You might be a little lighter then us and able to get by with it. Currently, there is five of us, a dog, and we use an electric braked tow-dolly to bring the car along (usually the MKZ). I am pretty certain that with a hitch upgrade it would be alright; however, if it is not, I do not want to put anyone in danger.

Tags
holiday rambler