Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2017, 09:40 AM   #15

We had a 40' Phaeton with a 330 hp Cat for eight years and traveled from WI to ID and then to AZ and back to WI towing a 5000# toad. The mountains were not a problem, just a little slower that some, but faster than some semi's. The 400 and 450 hp engines would perform better, but they are heavier and need some of that hp, but only going up the hill and how much time is actually spent going up the hill? To me, if you intend to spend a lot of time in the west, the biggest advantage of the bigger engines is that they will have an "engine brake" that closes off the valves for a much better braking effect when compared to just the "exhaust brake" of the smaller block diesels. The difference is dramatic. Good luck with your search. The hunt was always the best part of the purchase for me.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2017, 12:23 PM   #16

As you can see from the sig, we have an '04 Newmar 40' DS with 370 hp. It has the Cummins 8.9 and 1200 torque. The Jake brake is really great. All matched up with the Allison tranny, it is hard to beat. "Ain't no mountain high enough . . . " You should be able to find a nice rig like this for $70k or less. We did last year.

In addition to a third-party inspection of the coach, get oil analysis on the engine as others have suggested. You can't take a chance on an engine problem.

Although you will love a DP, don't go there unless you have $5 - $10k cash after purchase for unanticipated mechanical issues. Or consider buying a service contract (extended warranty). These beasts are expensive to maintain and fix.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:08 PM   #17

Thanks Everyone - all great stuff!!!

I agree with Crasher that the search is the best part. I don't know what I'll do once I actually buy one. Maybe start researching the next one?

I'll definitely do all the inspections before I purchase. I run a good sized home inspection company for a living so I'm very familiar with the concept of checking things out before you buy. I'll dig into that end when I'm a bit closer but I'm starting to get the idea of how it works. Things like "oil analysis" sound like exactly what I will be doing.

Lastly, I will go into this with a good sized budget to update/fix things post-purchase. Around 10K sounds like a good round number. Might need tires, updating TVs, various other repairs and service, etc, etc.

I like shopping private party and dealers to get an idea of what's out there but sure like the idea of purchasing from a really picky private party. I love the coaches pictured inside a beautiful outbuilding with a million dollar home in the background. I love reading all the care and pride people put into their coach. Many of the ones on lots kind of scare me.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:50 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Take your time, shop around until you find the right one for you. Be sure to get professional inspections done. If you don't do this BEFORE you purchase, you run the risk of spending significantly more AFTER the purchase. If something is found, the inspector should be able to give you an estimate to repair. You can then decide if you want to proceed and can use it to negotiate a better price. You will be going into it with your eyes open. IF nothing is found, GREAT!!

Before you finalize any purchase, I would suggest that you get an independent certified RV mechanic to inspect all the RV systems, including the roof. In addition I would have the engine, transmission, frame, etc. inspected by a diesel service shop. Having a coolant, transmission and oil analysis done by a lab (like JG Lubricants ) would reveal any hidden problems.

Make sure everything is in writing!! Any purchase should be contingent upon successfully passing these inspections/tests.

I would do this to any used MH I was looking to buy.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:04 PM   #19

2x on your thought process--if you can get past the need to carry a note on the RV, the pre-smog fix diesels are the way to go IMHO. 400ISL and a Jake brake in a 40ft--is a sweet combo......Add Alpine coaches to your list-- all ISL 400s in that era, and a great ride and driving experience......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Those exhaustion breaks are just what you need after a hard days work. But

I really like exhaust brakes to keep the old RV slow on the down hills.

Tell me how much I love spell check...... Guess a little QC before sending would leave my “exhaust” break a little less “exhausting”. Now I’m really exhausted!

P.S. I truly love the humorous replies to some of the less than correct responses. Got to have a sense of humor.
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
.Add Alpine coaches to your list-- all ISL 400s in that era, and a great ride and driving experience......
I looked at Alpine and was mainly turned off by the lack of parts availability. If I'm remembering correctly it's all proprietary chassis stuff and parts could be difficult to find.

Someone mentioned spell check..... how about all the sellers who think they have a Cummings engine? I think I may have to just skip all those sellers for fear of other things they aren't paying attention to in my new vacation home. But then I have a bit of a quandary because an equally clueless person could be selling a Catarpiller engine coach but I'd never know since (hopefully) anyone can spell "cat"
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1ll View Post
Tell me how much I love spell check...... Guess a little QC before sending would leave my “exhaust” break a little less “exhausting”. Now I’m really exhausted!

P.S. I truly love the humorous replies to some of the less than correct responses. Got to have a sense of humor.
Then after you rest up, instead of "breaking" the exhaust, you could use the exhaust "Brake" :-)
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:17 PM   #23

I have a '98 Dutch Star Cummins 330 hp DP which I purchased for $26k. Had 66k miles on it last May. Has 70k miles on it now. Drove it on a 4000 mile road trip from TX to northern MI this summer. Zero problems. However, there were a set of six tires to buy, and assorted "small" problems to fix prior to leaving. Overall, really happy with the purchase at a fraction of the cost of a new one. Never even considered gas, For me it was diesel or bust.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote