Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2016, 08:00 PM   #1

Thoughts on 2016 Thor Palazzo 33.3 Bunkhouse

Folks: If you are interested, I posted about problems I am having with me Itasca Sunova 35J Bunkhouse. We are desperate to get to the east coast to visit our family for the summer, but plagued with some problems on our coach.

Today in desperation, i decided to go to Lazydays in Tucson and look at the Palazzo 33.3 bunkhouse. My family and I loved it. I can tell it is not a top shelf rig, but the diesel pusher and layout are really perfect for us. Of course the problem is cost. They want about $153k, which is a LOT more than we ever wanted to spend. I guess I could take a 10 year loan and make it....

I am curious though. I drove it and found the power to seem really low. The acceleration was MUCH less than my V10 Ford rig. that shocked me. I also found the general build quality to not be much better than my rig, though surely more modern. There happened to be a Thor Rep visiting and he went with me. told me they had big problems with the slides in 2014 and early 2015, but were remedied for the 2016/2017.

Just curious what folks here think? I really need a bunkhouse and we LOVED the queen bed drop down too. Sad there was no washer/dryer and wish it had a King Bed. Rest seemed great. What do you all think?

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2016, 08:11 PM   #2

You're looking at the "entry" level Diesel pusher class. Much like the Fleetwood Excursion I had. I'm assuming the one you drove had a 300 or 340HP cummins ISB. They are not dragsters, but they do pull and get up to speed.

As far as build quality goes, the Thor and Fleetwood in this class are not super impressive. You'll probably have to move up a notch or two to get something with a finer finish.

You might want to look at a couple of year old upgraded model to get what you're looking for. As long as you choose wisely the savings will allow the upgrade.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vegas View Post
Folks: If you are interested, I posted about problems I am having with me Itasca Sunova 35J Bunkhouse. We are desperate to get to the east coast to visit our family for the summer, but plagued with some problems on our coach.

Today in desperation, i decided to go to Lazydays in Tucson and look at the Palazzo 33.3 bunkhouse. My family and I loved it. I can tell it is not a top shelf rig, but the diesel pusher and layout are really perfect for us. Of course the problem is cost. They want about $153k, which is a LOT more than we ever wanted to spend. I guess I could take a 10 year loan and make it....

I am curious though. I drove it and found the power to seem really low. The acceleration was MUCH less than my V10 Ford rig. that shocked me. I also found the general build quality to not be much better than my rig, though surely more modern. There happened to be a Thor Rep visiting and he went with me. told me they had big problems with the slides in 2014 and early 2015, but were remedied for the 2016/2017.

Just curious what folks here think? I really need a bunkhouse and we LOVED the queen bed drop down too. Sad there was no washer/dryer and wish it had a King Bed. Rest seemed great. What do you all think?

Thanks
I did some comparions on those chassis vs f53... it's a different kind of power... but once it's rolling it just chugs along...I think you be fine and love they way it cruises down the high way,,..I did some mods to mine. shocks and bigger tires,... nothing you would need to do... but it did improve it...
they're kinda harsh on the bumps stock..the bad thing is the def and the good is the 10 mpg they they will get...

cruising, on good roads... can't beat them for the price new...
Old 06-09-2016, 09:04 PM   #4

We own a 2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3. We have had no problems with the slides. We did have some relatively minor problems with the windshield wiper blade motor and the DEF gauge that were resolved by Freightliner. We learned the hard way to stay away from the service department of Camping World.

It is not perfect but we love the floor plan. We have plenty of power and tow a heavy duty AEV lifted jeep similar to this one:

American Expedition Vehicles - JK Wrangler

The fuel mpg is great for a Class A motorhome.

Good luck!
Old 06-09-2016, 09:10 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks
We love our coach and enjoy the 12 miles per gal no toad 11 with toad were getting too. When we were in the market we did test drive some v10 but the ride to us was totally different in the DP and we'll worth the trade off. This coach will get up there pretty quickly and go way faster than we will ever be going in our travels so we are pleased.

We have yet to go far west to see how it will do in the higher terrains but will be heading there soon. I'm sure once we figure out the proper RPM for traveling out west we will do fine.

For us we felt it was a good move to go to this DP for the low noise level, high mileage and extra features we received in our Palazzo for our first coach.

DW and I decided since we're driving an RV to see this beautiful country, that were in no hurry and willing to see it all from the right hand lane.

Safe Travels to All.
RDFTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:57 PM   #6

Thanks all, much appreciated. If only I could find the $150k!!! Might try to limp mine by until used one's show up. The sales take alone is worth more than my daily driver.... though, if my wife twists my arm enough, she really liked it!
Old 06-10-2016, 07:31 AM   #7

love ours - 50k miles across country and Canada several times, and 11.4mpg average for the whole time
and we started with a 5rv bunk house, then a Georgetown gasser, but this is really the best option when traveling - 300hp Cummins has been plenty of power no matter where you are

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:51 AM   #8

OK folks, let me ask you this one. I have in shock when I found out it came with just a 1-year warrantee (bumper to bumper). They must not feel confident in their own build I guess, is this common to new rigs?

Lastly, the turning radius was amazing compared to my gasser. Is it possible to pull the toad 4-flat (Falcon tow bars all terrain) into a tight as possible turn with that rig? Seems so steep of a turn it may damage the tow bar....

thoughts?

thanks
Old 06-12-2016, 01:40 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
OK folks, let me ask you this one. I have in shock when I found out it came with just a 1-year warrantee (bumper to bumper). They must not feel confident in their own build I guess, is this common to new rigs?

Lastly, the turning radius was amazing compared to my gasser. Is it possible to pull the toad 4-flat (Falcon tow bars all terrain) into a tight as possible turn with that rig? Seems so steep of a turn it may damage the tow bar....

thoughts?

thanks
The Freightliner and Cummins warranties are longer (as well as some of the other equipment), and a 1-year warranty on the "house" is not uncommon for a lower-end coach. In any event, we have the 33.2 not the 33.3, but we're certainly very happy. Really haven't had anything fail that I would expect to be covered by a warranty. In any event, you really won't want to run back to a dealer for every last RV repair anyway. If you do (given how slow most dealers are), you'll never get any enjoyment out of it. A good tool kit and some elbow grease will solve most "house" problems (loose screws, the inevitable plumbing leak,etc.). Just my humble opinion.

Regarding the turn radius with a flat tow. We have a Blue Ox base plate and tow bar to flat tow a Mini, and have seen no indication of any problems with the turning radius. While the turn radius on a gasser is generally not as tight, I'd think that the tail swing on most gassers would make for more stress than the radius.
ABrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:46 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oh....and we paid $121k for our used 2014 about 9 months and 6.5k miles after it was originally delivered (previous owner immediately stepped up to a Tuscany), so I think the $153k price might be a little high.
ABrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:39 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

thanks

A one year warranty is pretty much the industry standard. Jayco products come with a 2 year warranty.
Brian W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
A one year warranty is pretty much the industry standard. Jayco products come with a 2 year warranty.
Wow, must not have much faith in their build. Why else would they offer such short warranty's on such expensive machines....? My Kia Soul has a 10-year/100,000 warranty on the drivetrain....
Old 06-12-2016, 01:53 PM   #13

I dont think you can compare the auto industry to the RV industry.... the RV industry is a total mess.... there is very little regulation... the fact that seat belt warnings aren't mandatory is a good example of it.

As for the 33.3.... we love ours. Like you, we love the floor plan and fits our family well (2 small boys). As for warranty.... essentially the way I see it is, you have one year to wring it out... make a punch list for any deficiencies and take it back to elkhart to get it fixed. Elkhart is the only place I trust fixing any major items. Freightliner backs up their warranty up to 3 years.... these are the benefits of buying new.

Our coach has been great and have done xcountry trips... heading out to Ca this summer for 2 months... an upgrade here and there will improve the coaches shortcoming. As for power, not an issue at all... even with a tow. Added a trim steer unit and it drives like a much more expensive rig with a great turning radius... it surprises me every time a make a tight turn... and $153K does sound a bit high, but the 2016 have a few more bells and whistles than our 2014.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
I dont think you can compare the auto industry to the RV industry.... the RV industry is a total mess.... there is very little regulation... the fact that seat belt warnings aren't mandatory is a good example of it.

As for the 33.3.... we love ours. Like you, we love the floor plan and fits our family well (2 small boys). As for warranty.... essentially the way I see it is, you have one year to wring it out... make a punch list for any deficiencies and take it back to elkhart to get it fixed. Elkhart is the only place I trust fixing any major items. Freightliner backs up their warranty up to 3 years.... these are the benefits of buying new.

Our coach has been great and have done xcountry trips... heading out to Ca this summer for 2 months... an upgrade here and there will improve the coaches shortcoming. As for power, not an issue at all... even with a tow. Added a trim steer unit and it drives like a much more expensive rig with a great turning radius... it surprises me every time a make a tight turn... and $153K does sound a bit high, but the 2016 have a few more bells and whistles than our 2014.
does the 2014 have the dual motor top on the slides?

Tags
thor