Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #1

Thoughts on Blow Insulation?

Hiya!

Opinions, please. =)

I've been considering putting blow insulation above the wood layer in my rig by putting a little bit at a time up through the light holes and then use my Metro Dryer/Blower on LOW with no nozzle to blow it up into the corners of each section until full. Of course I won't do this until all of the roof is repaired/replaced.

Any reason I shouldn't do this? Including:

- Dust as the rig is moving
- Fire hazard with my old school hot lights
- Fire hazard from CA sun/heat?
- A reason why that section in there needs to be "open" and "breathe" for wood rot, moisture, etc.?
- Anything else?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What kind of blow insulation??? Paper, Styrene beads, pink fiberglass?
If you're replacing the roof, you could spray sytrafoam on the roof between the studs like seen on television.

Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:44 PM   #3

Fantastic questions! I hadn't considered the type at all. I was anticipating that there was a reason why I should not put it up there.

For example on the Home Depot site it says:

Before You Insulate
First, make sure that your house is properly ventilated. Adequate ventilation is necessary to prevent too much heat and condensation from building up as well as to provide fresh air. Next, plug leaks to prevent air from getting in and out around windows and doors. Always fix leaks before installing insulation, as they may be difficult to find after the job is finished.

So although I'd love the extra insulation in the hot CA sun to keep the heat out and our cool air inside; but if that means I could have moisture issues because there's no breath ability up in that header if I shove a bunch of insulation up there then I'd be happy to have one less thing to do. Lol!

I'm still considering putting up the very thin pink sheets of insulation up before my headliner goes back up. I'll have screws (with white caps) in the ceiling holding up the headliner in place. If I don't caulk the holes and I get a future leak it should show on the screws, right?

Thanks!!
Old 10-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #4

PS. I'm not replacing the roof. It's in great condition and will be excellent when I'm finished with it (hopefully!!).
Old 11-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #5

To close out this thread:

I've decided not to put insulation up in the area above the plywood and under the metal roof. I was most concerned about the "ventilation" issue and figured that's why there isn't any up there now. I can always revisit this through the ceiling light openings, but for now the headliner is getting sealed up and I didn't take this step.

Thanks =)
Old 11-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I think I would have filled it. I don't believe moisture is an issue in an RV ceiling, but I cannot cite any authority that says that.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote