RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2019, 05:19 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thoughts on Extended Warranty

Your thoughts on the best Extended warranties
my Extended Warranty is about to expire and thinking about future coverage .

scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2019, 05:25 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterbob View Post
Your thoughts on the best Extended warranties
my Extended Warranty is about to expire and thinking about future coverage .
Have had bad luck with Good Sam extended warranty. Nothing but hassle for claim. Finally quit and received half of money back.

Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:21 AM   #3

I purchased mine from Coach Net and have been very happy . They are quick to review and approve repairs and have covered everything I have submitted with no issue.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:57 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

There are about a zillion topics here covering everybody's opinion & advice re extended warranties. How about using SEARCH to find and read them instead of asking us all to re-type our thoughts?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
There are about a zillion topics here covering everybody's opinion & advice re extended warranties. How about using SEARCH to find and read them instead of asking us all to re-type our thoughts?
My thoughts exactly. Thank you Gary, but without Extended Service Plans, Tire pressure questions and Gas vs DP discussions, there wouldn't be much to read here.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:26 PM   #6
NXR

Not owning an RV until about a month from now, our first Class A, I've looked at different ones and will probably use Wholesale Warranties when I finally get it. They're a broker and hook you up with the actual company. They deal in exclusionary warranties, meaning that they tell you what they do not cover rather than what they do cover.

For example, this is their optional tire policy. So the price of one tire.
----------
Enclosed you will find all of the details on our Tire and Wheel Protection Policy, which offers great coverage for tire and wheel damages and blowouts. If you have any questions, or would like to discuss your options in detail, please don't hesitate to contact me at your convenience. Thank you again for your inquiry!

Cost-Effective RV Tire and Wheel Protection Rates for your home-on-wheels:

$0 Deductible - 1 year = $139 - 3 years = $357 - 5 years = $445 - 7 years = $525

Our Tire and Wheel Protection benefits include:

$0 Deductible / Unlimited Usage - There is no limitation to the number of times that you can use this policy over the course of your chosen term, and you are not responsible for any deductible for covered claims!

Transferable – If you were to sell this unit you will be able to transfer the warranty to the new owner making your unit more appealing and valuable to subsequent owners.
Exclusive Features:

- Full replacement costs are covered when tire is un-repairable and/or the wheel is damaged so it is unable to seal with the tire.

- Coverage is extended to the tire and wheels of a vehicle being towed by a motorhome, or the vehicle that is towing a travel trailer or 5th wheel, while they are actively being towed/towing.

- Benefits can be used in the United States and Canada!
----------
Their "Viking" Roadside Assistance policy:
----------
Pricing Information for Emergency RV Roadside Assistance:

1 year = $139 - 2 years = $218 - 3 years = $297 - 4 years = $380 - 5 years = $445 -
6 years = $510 - 7 years = $553

As a member, Emergency Roadside Assistance is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, anywhere in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Whether you have a flat tire, a dead battery, or lock your keys inside the vehicle, assistance is just a phone call away. Your emergency roadside assistance offers coverage such as the following:

• Towing: Towing your disabled vehicle to the nearest qualified repair facility. Towing benefits are unlimited!

• Delivery of Fuel and Emergency Fluids: Gasoline, oil, water, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, and brake fluid delivered to your disabled vehicle, as necessary to remedy the disablement (except where prohibited by law).

• Flat Tire: Service consists of the removal of the Covered Vehicle’s flat tire and its replacement with the spare tire located with the vehicle.

• Jump Start/Battery Boost: If a battery failure occurs, a jump-start will be applied to start the Covered Vehicle.

• RV Mobile Mechanic: Dispatching of a mechanic to the site of your mechanically disabled vehicle. Labor charges and parts are not covered.

• Lockout-Locksmith: If Your keys are locked inside of the Covered Vehicle, We will provide for assistance in gaining entry into the vehicle.

• Driver’s Valet: In the event the Covered Vehicle is disabled and alternate transportation is needed, We will assist in obtaining a rental vehicle from a premier
national rental car company. You will take advantage of Our preferred partner customer service and rental rate schedule from the rental company.

• Emergency Trip Interruption: If your RV is disabled due to a collision or mechanical breakdown of a warranty covered part more than 100 miles from your home, you will be reimbursed for up to a total of $1,000 for emergency travel expenses.

• Emergency Message Relay: We will provide assistance in relaying an emergency message to up to three (3) family members, friends, business associates, (etc.) for any driver of a Covered Vehicle who is involved in a vehicular emergency and needs an emergency message sent to notify another party of their delay or emergency situation.

• $1,000 Vehicle Theft Reward: $1,000 reward will be paid for information leading to the arrest and conviction of anyone who steals Your Covered Vehicle. A significant number of stolen autos that are recovered are reclaimed through the help of an eyewitness to the crime. You and Your family and law enforcement officers are not eligible for the $1,000 reward for Your Covered Vehicle. This reward does not cover any loss due to vandalism or stolen contents.

• $1,000 Hit & Run Reward: A $1,000.00 reward will be paid for information leading to the arrest and conviction of anyone who flees the scene of an accident after hitting Your Covered Vehicle. You, Your family and law enforcement officers are not eligible for the $1,000.00 reward.
---------
Their full 7 year/unlimited mileage exclusionary extended warranty for a brand new RV was quoted at $5,324 (paid upfront) or $761 a year plus the optional coverages above.

For me, I'm concerned about unexpected budget-busting expenses.
----------
What is Not Covered

Awning material, frame, structural damage, adjustments, bedding, bumpers, carpet, satellite and telephone wiring, counter tops, doors, flooring, and furniture.

Any losses resulting from collision or upset, road hazards, fire, arson, earthquake, windstorm, ice, hail, flood, contact with animal, breakage of glass, acts of war, rebellion, or revolution, corrosion, rust, deterioration, and condensation.

Cosmetic damage or cosmetic related repairs (scratches, nicks, dents or tears)."
--------
If structural damage was covered I'd be a lot happier but that one will be hard to find anywhere.

HTH,

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
My thoughts exactly. Thank you Gary, but without Extended Service Plans, Tire pressure questions and Gas vs DP discussions, there wouldn't be much to read here.
Oh c'mon there's plenty... house batteries, propane vs residential fridge, which oil and when to change, and my all time favorite: "Improving Handling" (how to make your MOHO handle like a NASCAR bolide.....)

RE extended warranties... I have NEVER, EVER in the last 40 years paid a penny towards these scams. The engine could blow and I'd be out 20K but still ahead of the game by tens of thousands of dollars.

You insure against risks you cannot assume. Open heart surgery, major accidents, the house burning down. Not against the fridge breaking.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
.. I have NEVER, EVER in the last 40 years paid a penny towards these scams. The engine could blow and I'd be out 20K but still ahead of the game by tens of thousands of dollars.You insure against risks you cannot assume. Open heart surgery, major accidents, the house burning down. Not against the fridge breaking.
I too, have never wasted my money on an ESP in my 60+ years of owning a vehicle, and my bank account is better for it. However, some feel a need to have one and some come out ahead for it. Most do not, which is why they are such a big profit center for those selling them. It's a personal comfort choice.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:30 PM   #9

The companies that sell these extended policies make a lot more money than they ever pay out. Consider that simple fact...
Old 05-22-2019, 02:33 PM   #10

Most people who buy extended warranties probably are to financially strapped to even own an RV.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:55 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Wholesale Warranty has worked for well for us, easy to work with, quick quotes and the warranty has paid for itself over the years
Old 05-22-2019, 06:28 PM   #12

Great question. Nice topic. Thanks for generating the discusion.
Motang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
Oh c'mon there's plenty... house batteries, propane vs residential fridge, which oil and when to change, and my all time favorite: "Improving Handling" (how to make your MOHO handle like a NASCAR bolide.....)

RE extended warranties... I have NEVER, EVER in the last 40 years paid a penny towards these scams. The engine could blow and I'd be out 20K but still ahead of the game by tens of thousands of dollars.

You insure against risks you cannot assume. Open heart surgery, major accidents, the house burning down. Not against the fridge breaking.
You’re forgetting side vs. rear radiators
Old 05-22-2019, 08:56 PM   #14

The MH we bought had been stored in the previous owners barn for 6 years due to health problems preventing its use. We bought a CW extended service contract (they are not an extended warranty-by law) to help with items that failed due to non-use.
During the contract period of 3 yrs, it more than paid for the premiums and deductibles.
This is no different than buying a health insurance policy to cover yourself. You are betting you will receive more than the money spent on premiums; the insurance company is betting you they will receive more money in premiums than they spend on health care.
Ditto for buying comprehensive MH insurance, when you have it paid for.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy Read more at: John_F_Kennedy_1961
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended warranty, warranty