Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2015, 08:54 AM   #1

Thoughts on having your own golf cart?

Do any of you carry your own electric golf cart? Is it useful? Do you use it a lot (for "getting around" other than actual golf courses!)?

We were thinking of getting a small electric cart (like a Cricket) to get around places like Ft. Wilderness, Stone Mountain, and larger campgrounds and resorts. Whether we get one or not affects what kind of tow vehicle we buy.

Thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 10:19 AM   #2

We have a Cricket which we towed in a Pontiac Vibe and now in a Chevrolet Equinox. The Cricket will fit in the newer Chevrolet HHR's, too. Ours has the hard top; therefore, it takes me about 30 minutes to dismantle and use ramps to put it in the Equinox, and about the same to unload and setup. All the parts fit into the auto because I use old throw rugs to protect the Cricket from the top, etc. Our Cricket is the older 24 volt and the new ones are 36 volt. We have had some peeling and cracking of the cherry red paint over the 7 years we have had it. Touch up paint covers the problems. I suggest you get white, because I don't think the white ones are painted. We have had some repair issues, but most of that is due to a dealer in Ohio. Ricks RV in Georgia has been very good to us.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:56 PM   #3

Where can I locate a cricket in the Richmond, VA area?

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-23-2015, 02:05 PM   #4

Cricket size and fitting it into something

If we get a Cricket, the measurements for it are about 59.5"L, 32W and 28H. I've got to find a vehicle that meets these requirements:

1. Will fit the cricket
2. Is a 4WD
3. Can be towed flat
4. Can allow for a covering over the cricket when we're not using it.

Lots of trucks fit the bill, but my DW thinks they are all too big. I like the Toyota Tacoma's, but they can't be towed flat. The Jeep Wrangler Unlimited looks like it meets the requirements, but the DW has read that they ride too rough (uncomfortable) on the highway (when sightseeing, etc.).

Any ideas?

Of course, our BIGGEST question now is "how much will we use it" or how often it would be handy...
Old 04-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a golf cart (gas) that we love. We use it a lot ...... when it is permitted. We generally camp close to home and have found that the majority of campgrounds that we visit do NOT permit them. I suspect it is an insurance issue for the campgrounds. One of the two that we visit actually require us to provide proof of insurance.

Unless you are sure that the campgrounds permit these types of vehicles you should check with the ones you visit. No point in buying something that you cannot use. Hopefully your area is more accepting of them than mine is.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:41 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Your DSDP will pull about anything. We tow a Sierra Crew with our Club Car Percedent in it. The new Colorado/Canyon will hold a real cart too. A real golf cart will have a windshield and roof which can come in handy lots of times. They also seat two in the front comfortably. We looked a the Cricket but it just wouldn't work for us, although I did see one carrying 7 people at Ft. Wilderness!!!!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:40 PM   #7

For getting around most campgrounds we use our feet. Many commercial campgrounds are big enough that a cart would be helpful, but then we don't stay at those places. We mostly stay at state parks and usually a golf cart would not be very helpful. However, even at the most compact parks there is always a crowd of people with golf carts just going around and around. Not very helpful or needed but the occupants look like they are having fun. So if you want one get one.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:46 PM   #8

We have a gas golf cart as well. While we bought it with the thought of using them in campgrounds that permit them, we have the added benefit of living in a small, private neighborhood where we can use it to zip down to a friend's house or down to the beach. I think without that benefit, I would prefer to tow a car instead and rent a cart if needed . Unless I am lucky enough to get a toy hauler someday.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:43 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
I just don't get the golf cart thing. I have 2 feet and need the exercise.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thoughts on having your own golf cart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzcar View Post

Not everybody does... I have had mobility issues and appreciate golf carts, riding shopping carts, etc.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:02 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzcar View Post
We have three 4 year old grand kids who occasionally camp with us. They love riding in it and it is just another toy for me.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:46 PM   #12

I am looking at getting 2 Zap pro flex 500s. You could use them at the campground or load them up and take them to get around at a mall or park. If the DW goes to play cards or games I would still have a way to get around. Many of the campgrounds we go to are very large with hills that are hard to navigate with a bike. They make a Zap pro flex 300 but I dont know how well they would handle hills. The other thing to consider is the stability of a Zaps 3 wheels verses a bike we are getting older and a fall off a bike would be devastating.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:03 PM   #13

We have an ex go gas cart that seats 4. Love buzzing around in it.

We just don't have a coach yet.