Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Question Thoughts on possible "upgrade"

Hey gang...looking for opinions on our possible upgrade. We currently have a 2005 Safari Simba 30PDD (two slides) on a WH W32 chassis (8.1, non-Allison trans). We like it but there are a couple of small things that don't fit us. Mostly me....I'm a linebacker-sized 6'4" 275, and with slides in I can barely get to the rear of the coach. I also have a hard time sitting comfortably at the kitchen table.

We found a Simba 30SFS (I think those are the letters). It is 2008, on a Ford chassis, and has one full wall slide with a table and chair type dinette that would suit me better.

The dealer is willing to go $34k difference. These are pretty similar rigs....I give up my roof sat dish, but gain a solar panel, 2000w inverter and center-vac.

My current rig has 16000 miles, the 08 has 6500 miles. Is the Ford chassis OK? I've never been a big blue oval fan, but in reality, we're only going to be putting on 5000 miles a year (max) anyways, and we likely won't have it more than 2 or 3 years....depending how many times it frosts me off. I gotta be honest, I'm a GM guy, but that goofy hydraulic park brake deal and the airbag, independent front end just seem real high maintenance. What are everyone's thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #2

My only thought is that (aside from the slide space issue) that for $34k you can do a lot of custom work to your current rig (i.e., have a custom interior built, etc.).

I think Ford v. Workhorse is largely a religious argument. And given that everything is now all-Ford moving forward ... the world will survive.

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:55 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"The dealer is willing to go $34k difference. These are pretty similar rigs."

Dave, with similar units, the $$$$$ increase in the three(3) year span would not be that great, as long as you compare apples to apples. That's over 11 K per year depreciation for you, quite a chunk of money. With the economy in the shape it's in, there is a better deal out there, just not @ that Dealer, JMHO............good luck.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Back to your current Motorhome...

Re: your physical space problems on your 2005 Safari Simba...

If waist clearance is the sole problem, you can elevate the table height or even redo the whole table configuration at a modest price (as mentioned above).. I assume the with-slide-in issue is also from the table. Some have posted solutions such as a free-standing table that can be placed just about anywhere once the LR slide is deployed. Without a more involved description of you spacial problem areas, cannot venture a guess if these items are addressable via renovative efforts in-lieu-of buying another MH outright.
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the points gang.

I've asked the DW about tearing out the current dining set-up and replacing, but she is adamant that it will ruin the re-sale and look "non factory". Up here in the Great White North we don't have RV specific furniture and upholstery shops (that I know of). I've seen some of the remodels done by some of the shops you guys have down in the south and they look great....I just don't have access to these services here.

I'm not a big fat guy, just real big. I CAN get behind the table, and I CAN get to the rear of the coach....it just requires bashing into things and turning sideways. I've been telling the DW that I actually preferred our old Embassy with no slides as I could manouver better in there.

I thought that $11k per year upgrade was actually close to reasonable...especially on a $100k + rig when new. (that's what they are here) Heck....my 2010 1/2 ton is worth $10k less than new and it's not a year old.

I dunno...the Workhorse chassis has me worried now too. Having the WH chassis was almost a deal breaker when buying my last two MH's....now, after being on this forum for a while, I read al kinds of horror stories in the WH forums. The Ford chassis forums don't seem to have daily threads on blown motors, bad brakes, or e-brakes that lock up randomly at highway speeds...
Old 01-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Dave,

Since you are contemplating a change, why not look around and find something more in your size range?
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #7

Dave,

While I understand your wife's concerns about quality of custom work, when you are talking about $34,000 (actually about $40,000 when you factor in the upgrades you are losing) you can afford to drive to Oregon, drop the coach off at one of the great shops in there, fly home and then back first class and drive home, and still be $20,000 ahead!

I definitely appreciate your size issues (being of somewhat majestic stature myself) and I think in the end you will really, really love an interior built to do exactly what you want. And your current coach is SO new that you've just gotten the mechanical bugs out!

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Well, again...you guys make sense. We've decide that $34k just to upgrade 3 years for basically the same rig is too much. NOW the DW has me looking at brand new ones...oh man. Looking at a Newmar Bay Star 3202 that really would fit the bill....going to be more than $34k difference, but would be brand new, warrantee, etc....we'll see how it goes.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:30 PM   #9

trade out, sure, but dont let them suck you into "$34K"

There are some real DISASTERS out here in motorhoome prices, especially on the Left Coast. The CA repos are interesting!

An 04 36 footer just sold in UT for 46K on auction on Ebay.
List of Diesel pushers for sale

you might get lucky selling in a less depressed area and buying in Portland, for example, where they cant give motorhomes away.
davecampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #10

Hello Dave new coach itus uh. The problem is your trade, you could walk into that dealer on a stright up purchase and do 25K better or more off of list price. I had a friend that just couldn't find the right coach untill he traded 3 times in 3 years. Now he is so overbackwards it would cost him 50K to sell his coach.
You might consider selling what you have, then searching for 4-5 year old unit to suit you, and let someone else eat all that depreciation. There are a Bunch of people out there wanting to get out of thier coaches just takes a little looking. My current coach is a 1999 foretravel bought it 5 years ago it had 21K on it paid 10K behind dealer wholesale for it with all 5 new batterys, and a complete service, put 6 tires on been rolling ever since.
Good luck
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Talking

Well...more good advice, and I appreciate it. But the deal is done. We actually got into our Simba for a VERY good deal last year....I went down to the USA and brought it home. We traded in on a 2010 (new leftover) Newmar Baystar 3202 today. Two feet longer, with a layout that suits us perfectly and you can still move around with the slides in. The unit was on sale as it was a holdover 2010, plus they gave us quite a bit more on our trade than we had into it, so I think we did real good dollar-wise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	digi40359446_l.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	7828  
Old 01-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Congradulations on your new rig!
Old 02-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #13