Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2015, 07:18 AM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Try it for a year and see how you like it. DO NOT upgrade through TT. Buy an "used" existing membership (much cheaper). BUT TT is VERY complication. Do your research. Also as one poster mentioned depends on where you want to go and how much you will use it.

A good place to start learning is a FB group called Thousand Trails ODW The Good and The Bad.

All that being said, we are fulltimers and spent the entire winter in FL for less than $250 per month. We have a lower level Zone Camping Pass. It is a one year pass that will need to be renewed. We did not want to commit to anything longer until we got comfortable with the system.

GO TO THAT FB GROUP and LEARN!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2015, 04:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhoward49 View Post
RanCarr, Their are no monthly dues. Yearly dues, it sounds like from $300 to $550... As stated they have many plans/promotions.. It depends so much on where you live and where you camp. The nationwide plan can be five or six thousand plus $500 yearly. The zone plan can be no up front cost but $400 to $550 yearly. If their are T.T. parks in you area, I suggest that you try a zone pass for one year. My zone plan pays for its self in about 12 stays.
There was only one in TN and nowhere near us. And none on the way to Ocala where we spend the winter. But we stay for FREE in WalMart lots down to FL and back. And no FL TT CGs that let you stay 4 months. All required you move out after 2 weeks, go outside the TT network, then find another TT CG for two weeks. Of course you have to juggle reservations between them all for those 4 months. Those in and those outside the TT CG system. We certainly don't need that aggravation. That's crazy for snowbirds unless they have nothing more than a few chairs outside their RV and can pack up and move easily. And a week in FL outside the TT system can run $400 and more. Been there - done that.

On our trip from TN to NY there wasn't one TT CG along the way. All were so far off the Interstates we took as to be useless.

We decided not to go with TT and went with PPA on our trip out west. Loads of CGs everywhere who honored it and since we didn't stay in one place for more than a day or two, it saved us a bundle. Most nights we dry camped anyway rather bother with CGs. We mostly stopped at CGs to dump our tanks every 6 or 7 days, take on fresh water, do laundry and take long hot showers in the bathhouses.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajell View Post
Try it for a year and see how you like it. DO NOT upgrade through TT. Buy an "used" existing membership (much cheaper). BUT TT is VERY complication. Do your research. Also as one poster mentioned depends on where you want to go and how much you will use it.
Exactly - and what kind of camping you do. We have a SeniorPass that cost us $10 for life. We pay $10 a day at any COE or National Park. We camp 2 weeks a year locally = $140. No other fees either yearly or monthly.

Quote:
All that being said, we are fulltimers and spent the entire winter in FL for less than $250 per month.
And that includes your upfront charge and your yearly fees if any? What do you pay a week for the non participating CGs until you can go back to a TT one? Most FL CGs are $300 to $400 a week (cheaper if you stay the season). Did you add that into your monthly cost of $250? Or can you stay at the same TT CG for the entire winter without moving or leaving the system for a week every 2 or 3 weeks? Aren't you obligated to pay that yearly fee of something like $500 whether you use the TT system CGs or not?

Quote:
We have a lower level Zone Camping Pass. It is a one year pass that will need to be renewed. We did not want to commit to anything longer until we got comfortable with the system.

GO TO THAT FB GROUP and LEARN!
And go here to learn also:
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/...housand-trails
40 THOUSAND TRAILS RV complaints and reviews @ Pissed Consumer

We pay $220 a month for the place we stay in FL and do not have to move or pay any yearly fee or sigh up fee. We set up our screen room and gazebo, our temporary fence and buy beautiful potted flowers. we set up the bird feeders... we make ourselves at home for the 4 months. TT is not for everyone.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Be very careful with TT, read ALL the fine print. We bought a plan...let it expire, not all was as they said.
There are those on FB and other Forums who warn people that there are salespeople on FB and Forums who LIE to sell memberships and make commissions. Do not believe any salespeople - read the contract. They warn people to read all the fine print twice before pulling out their Charge Card. And to look at the map and make sure there are TTs where you live or plan to travel. I 'm glad we looked at the TT map or our money would have been thrown away.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:10 PM   #19

TTs current business model seems to include a good revenue stream from annual and seasonal campers. So the prime sites are always taken. I have seen the leftovers. Getting a few more contracts may be just a bit of cream on top?

TT is usually out of the way. The 2-week limit puts it out of my sights but good.

Those that get their $ worth and like the amenities have a pretty good deal, me thinks.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:07 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to CruisinCondo
I found a broker on the internet and bought into a park in Georgia which I have never visited. I paid $700 which included the first year dues of $59 at my park and one year membership to RPI which costs $119 per year. So each year I pay $59 to my home park and $119 to RPI. RPI has 200 or parks across the US which allow me access for $10 per night. Many home parks have much higher yearly membership fee's and in some cases you may be assessed improvement fees. Also, most you cannot get out of them without selling it to someone else and sometimes that is very difficult since the transfer fees are usually very high. If I do not wish to continue mine, I simply do not renew my membership. I live is Southern California and travel 2 to 3 months per year. Campgrounds in this area are relatively expensive and I have several parks in the RPI system locally that I go to a few times a year which I feel pays for my continued membership.
We actually prefer remote camping in the mountains, beaches, and deserts; but with a 40 foot motorhome, it is very difficult in our area. The problem with most RPI parks is that many of them are loaded with full time residents who spend all their time inside their coach, much like a mobile home park. Not the experience I look forward to. Many do not have firepits, and do not allow you to use your charcoal grill. We typically use these RV parks as a home base to tour the area and only sleep there. We do empty our holding tanks, refill water and use their electricity to recharge our batteries.
The other problem is when I bought into this program, I was to pay $10 per night. Many parks are adding other fees like a resort fee (I have NEVER been to a RPI park that I would call a resort). They are also charging for electric usage from $3 to $5 per night and there is also an upcharge to get a larger site. Some parks have a very nice side for their members while RPI members are relegated to an older, less taken care of part of the campground, or may be well away from the facilities. These membership parks originally were exclusively for members, but many are renting spaces to anyone who is willing to pay retail prices, and many parks such as ones in the TT system are leasing the best lots in the park by the month or year which means even members in that park can no longer get into the prime spots on the River, Lake, or Ocean. Many parks, it is nearly impossible to get into if there is some event in town, or you happen to be travelling on one of the major holidays. I rate many of these parks on my blog CruisinCondo Mark
Old 05-09-2015, 07:18 PM   #21

I was curious so I checked for TT parks in our area. This one came up.Voyager RV Resort | RV Resort in Arizona | Tucson RV Park From what I'm told this place is really nice. I don't have any specific details about staying there but it piqued my interest
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:42 PM   #22

", go outside the TT network, then find another TT CG for two weeks."
WRONG!!!!
Old 05-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #23

RANCARR..."And that includes your upfront charge and your yearly fees if any? What do you pay a week for the non participating CGs until you can go back to a TT one? Most FL CGs are $300 to $400 a week (cheaper if you stay the season). Did you add that into your monthly cost of $250? Or can you stay at the same TT CG for the entire winter without moving or leaving the system for a week every 2 or 3 weeks? Aren't you obligated to pay that yearly fee of something like $500 whether you use the TT system CGs or not?"

YES RANCARR... It includes the yearly fee and 30 free nights. TTO has a Encore Park 4 miles away I can stay for $24 per night with my RCG card. So 2 weeks in and 1 week out and back again. 21 x $3 = $63 + $168 (7 x $24) = $230. Free nights and per night based on yearly fee have 0'd out now.

Does your $220 include electric and all utilities?
Old 05-10-2015, 08:08 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

We bought ours through a broker 8 years ago. Got one of the upgraded memberships (extra perks) for $1000, including transfer fees. Prices seem to be somewhat higher now, though.

Membership resales are also available privately, e.g. on Ebay, but the broker acts as a transfer agent so you can avoid scams.

If buying a resale, make sure you know whether the price includes the TT membership transfer fee, or whether you are responsible for that after the sale. It varies with the type of membership, but is typically around $800 or so. You don't own anything until the transfer is done on TT's books.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #25

Well, thanks for all your inputs and thoughts. We are planning on doing this for at least 5 years. We looked at second hand TT schemes but it is a minefield out there. Yes we could have got one that we wanted for just over 2k.
In the end we went for TT elite, lifetime with rpi and ready to go and encore sites. We were originally quoted over 6k they bought it down to 5k there and then and we then negotiated furthur and they made an error in their final offer so we got it for 4k. 21 days in, then move to another TT park for 21 etc etc.
We are doing 6 months traveling 3 months out then 6 months traveling again and so on. On top of that we have passport America and we enjoy state parks. Were happy.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:51 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajell View Post
RANCARR..."And that includes your upfront charge and your yearly fees if any? What do you pay a week for the non participating CGs until you can go back to a TT one? Most FL CGs are $300 to $400 a week (cheaper if you stay the season). Did you add that into your monthly cost of $250? Or can you stay at the same TT CG for the entire winter without moving or leaving the system for a week every 2 or 3 weeks? Aren't you obligated to pay that yearly fee of something like $500 whether you use the TT system CGs or not?"
Your reply:

Quote:
YES RANCARR... It includes the yearly fee and 30 free nights. TTO has a Encore Park 4 miles away I can stay for $24 per night with my RCG card. So 2 weeks in and 1 week out and back again. 21 x $3 = $63 + $168 (7 x $24) = $230. Free nights and per night based on yearly fee have 0'd out now.

Does your $220 include electric and all utilities?
And what did you say your yearly Fee was again?

So you pay your yearly fee and you can live the rest of the year for $230 a month by switching back and forth from a TT to an Encore endlessly?

I have no yearly fee. Everything but the electric is included and we are not forced to juggle reservations because we're not forced to pack up everything and move every 2 weeks, then after a week, then in another 2 weeks..... that's crazy! Why don't they let you just stay the 4 to 6 months or the entire year in one CG? Why would anyone want to keep moving from one CG to another? How do you find that works out in the winter when the TT and Encore CGs/Resorts are packed and getting a reservation is almost impossible? When they want the full price to get them through the summer months when they're almost empty.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:01 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinCondo View Post
I found a broker on the internet and bought into a park in Georgia which I have never visited. I paid $700 which included the first year dues of $59 at my park and one year membership to RPI which costs $119 per year. So each year I pay $59 to my home park and $119 to RPI. RPI has 200 or parks across the US which allow me access for $10 per night. Many home parks have much higher yearly membership fee's and in some cases you may be assessed improvement fees. Also, most you cannot get out of them without selling it to someone else and sometimes that is very difficult since the transfer fees are usually very high. If I do not wish to continue mine, I simply do not renew my membership. I live is Southern California and travel 2 to 3 months per year. Campgrounds in this area are relatively expensive and I have several parks in the RPI system locally that I go to a few times a year which I feel pays for my continued membership.
We actually prefer remote camping in the mountains, beaches, and deserts; but with a 40 foot motorhome, it is very difficult in our area. The problem with most RPI parks is that many of them are loaded with full time residents who spend all their time inside their coach, much like a mobile home park. Not the experience I look forward to. Many do not have firepits, and do not allow you to use your charcoal grill. We typically use these RV parks as a home base to tour the area and only sleep there. We do empty our holding tanks, refill water and use their electricity to recharge our batteries.
The other problem is when I bought into this program, I was to pay $10 per night. Many parks are adding other fees like a resort fee (I have NEVER been to a RPI park that I would call a resort). They are also charging for electric usage from $3 to $5 per night and there is also an upcharge to get a larger site. Some parks have a very nice side for their members while RPI members are relegated to an older, less taken care of part of the campground, or may be well away from the facilities. These membership parks originally were exclusively for members, but many are renting spaces to anyone who is willing to pay retail prices, and many parks such as ones in the TT system are leasing the best lots in the park by the month or year which means even members in that park can no longer get into the prime spots on the River, Lake, or Ocean. Many parks, it is nearly impossible to get into if there is some event in town, or you happen to be travelling on one of the major holidays. I rate many of these parks on my blog CruisinCondo Mark
I reposted your entire post because these are the reasons so many people are unhappy with TT. The CGs make less money on TT members so have no incentive to treat them like regular customers. You're the stepchildren so to speak and they sneak in those hidden costs to make money on you. After all they too have bills to pay. And others also complain about not being able to get into the parks so must pay full-price elsewhere. Many of the parks are rundown or are very out of the way or so full of fulltimers they look like Trailer Parks, not RV parks or CGs.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:17 AM   #28

Everyone's needs are different. Lots of good info posted here AND some completely false info also. Do your research, read the contract (the new ones are pretty standard, the old ones are all different, some contain some AMAZING perks which may or may not transfer).

Try out the one year ZCP if you want to "test the waters" before you invest in a long term membership. The FB group I posted has TONS of info from people using the system every day. I followed that group for months before I bought the ZCP. As a fulltimer, it sure worked for me.