Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #1

Throttle position sensor

Appears I have a defective TPS on my Ultimate Freedom. Keep getting a check engine light. The only code it is throwing is a " Accelerator Pedal Circuit Failed Low" (ID 91, FORM 4)

Called Spartan this morning and they only sell the whole pedal assembly for $380! Has anyone had any luck finding an aftermarket replacement for just the sensor itself? Part number on the device is 131040 and Spartan indicates it should be a 131856 or 131973 (the latter is a kit).

I have called multiple auto parts houses to no avail. One auto electric shop was able to cross the part but he cannot get anything other than the entire pedal assembly either. Can't believe a simple TPS could cost over $40 or so!

Appreciate any assistance.

Lenp
lenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2013, 12:20 AM   #2

Have you tried cleaning the connectors with a spray contact cleaner, mine got messed up with humidity from the carpets being shampooed.
Pedal pivot was rusted and binding too.
As far as price .. well most TPS's , don't say Cat or Cummins on them.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #3

[QUOTE=Skip426;1648614]Have you tried cleaning the connectors with a spray contact cleaner, mine got messed up with humidity from the carpets being shampooed.

Excellent point. TP sensors are usually reliable. Like most sensors within an FI sytem, they read an electrical input/signal which needs to be within a certain range. If you are having a circuit issue somewhere that doesn't allow the input/signal to get to the sensor, it will trigger a code/light. It does not automatically mean the sensor is gone. Before spending that kind of money, I would sure clean all connections, as suggsted, and ensure that any visible wires are not frayed, pinched, broken, etc. You might also do a forum search here AND a web search for this type of issue on your coach. Just MO....

Please let us know how you make out on this issue....it will help many of us. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #4

Thanks for the input. Have tried to clean it with contact cleaner but that doesn't seem to have helped. I suspect the "rest" point (no throttle) has become worn or pitted and is making poor contact.

Have checked the wire harness and all looks good there.

Even called Cummins and they do not carry the part - only Spartan so far (and that's the entire pedal assembly).

Lenp
Old 07-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe the other end.....

Did you try cleaning the connectors at the other end? Where the TPS goes into the control board?

If you can disassemble it down to the electronic level you may find a usable part number somewhere that would not be otherwise visable. Obviously, Freightliner doesn't want people replacing discreet components so they may actually obscure the real part number.

If so equipped it could just as easily be the Idle Validation Switch. These are usually nothing more than a standard micro-switch and are notorious for going 'flakey'. If you find such a switch just about any electronics distributor will probably have one.

I found this bu googling 'TPS and one of the part numbers you showed: http://www.dsf-technologies.com/uplo...spdf_2_166.pdf

Looks like you can order a sensor service kit from them.

Please let us know how this turns out.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #6

Muddypaws,

Thanks for the link. I had googled as well but did not find that one! Will call them Monday morning!

Lenp
Old 07-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #7

The P/N 131040 crosses to a International/Navistar number Cost retail 156.00 Call the International Heavy truck dealer near you and ask for that part number. Looks like it is a Williams Control. I'll keep researching some but have to go out to a party.
stumpnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #8

From what I have figured out using the 131040 number. It crosses to a 132330 Navistar number . That number shows a 131490 P/N for a Service Kit which consists of 2 screws and the actuator.
That number also crosses to a Volvo number 3099579
Call the International/Navistar dealer and or the Volvo Truck dealer and throw those numbers at the parts guy.
Also I found it crosses to these 2 International numbers 1697269C91
2587164C92
Here is one on EBay for 69.95 look at the pics and see if that's what you need ,the pictures show the 131040 Pn
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-INTERNAT...item35c71bc146
Old 07-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #9

Stumpnc,

Many, many thanks for your research!!! I just bought the one on ebay!

It looks exactly the same down to the 131040 part number. Only difference appears to be the four digit number below the part number and I expect that is a lot or date code. Lot better than the $380 Spartan was quoting.

Will let everyone know if it fixes the problem after we head out next month.

Lenp
Old 07-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #10

i am sure thats price is for the RV TP sensors
what i find alot is they love to pad the price for rv parts and make it hard to find the real part number/hid them is a sticker with there number on top as its really a car or truck part

i am happy to see you did get a low cost one off ebay
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post
i am sure thats price is for the RV TP sensors
what i find alot is they love to pad the price for rv parts and make it hard to find the real part number/hid them is a sticker with there number on top as its really a car or truck part

i am happy to see you did get a low cost one off ebay
Most of these type parts are used on medium duty /heavy duty trucks etc
This part is made by Williams Controls ,They manufacture all kinds of control and valve systems .Air Brakes are usually Bendix systems. I own a Semi Truck and do 99% of all my service and repair work on it and have learned over the years how to use the internet to search and cross reference and most of the time I can find what I am looking for, order it and have it at my door faster and cheaper than I can get from the Parts house or dealership
Old 07-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #12

stumpnc you are like me its faster to get in and out of a doc office then to work with a dealership

there is a dealership in tampa that is very bad for this

and yeah when i say car and truck parts i was thinking like my RV 8.1 meed duty
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:41 AM   #13

Any update on your eBay TPS?
Old 08-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #14

Just returned from a 400 mile RT and the Check Engine Light is still coming on after replacing the TPS. It only comes on when the throttle is at "rest" and all it takes to turn it off is a slight press on the pedal. Beginning to think the pedal is letting the TPS go beyond the 'zero' position and I am getting an intermittent connection. Will play with it some more in the next few days.

Thanks to all for the assistance and input.

Lenp