Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Tiffin 2010 Pheaton

We have a new 2010 Pheaton. We are getting ready for a trip south. We live in PA and it is in the 20's today. We are trying to start our coach, but it will not start. Is there something we need to do to heat it up before it will start? This is new for us, so any help would be appreciated.
Jwcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #2

YES.....You need to turn your engine preheat on ahead of time when it is that cold. Go to the owners corner forums below for Tiffin owners and they will be able to tell you how to turn it on.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Look for the "BLOCK HEATER" discussion in your owners manual. It needs to be plugged in for the heater to work. The heater will use up to 700 Watts of power so unless you’re hooked up to 30 or 50 AMP service you won't be able to have much else turned on.
Dick

BTW I would love to have a Phaeton, running or not. As the old biker said “I’d rather push my Harley than ride a Rice-Burner”, and most of the time he did!
No reflection on your fine coach, just a smart "A" remark.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the suggestion, but that is my main problem. I can not find anything in any manual about a Block Heater. I have posted on Tiffin Owner with your suggestion. I am hoping someone there can help.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #5

I'm surprised no one from the Tiffin owners forum has not come to your rescue yet. Do this while you are waiting. Look in all your compartments for a cord that needs to be pluged in, make sure cord is pluged in. Then look for a switch to turn on to start heater. Look for switch in compartment where you plugged in cord, as well as inside coach. We'll get you going yet.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Becks, thanks for trying to help us. We checked out every compartment and there is no plug to plug in. Will keep you up to date. Hopefully a Pheaton owner will come to our rescue.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #7

I have an 03 Phaeton and my block heater plugin is under the bed. I don't know about you model but have a look
Ron
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #8

This web link may help you
RV Tech Library - Preheating Diesel Engines
Old 01-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Once it gets quite cold Diesel fuel thickens and can gel. If that has happened getting the fuel flowing again can mean getting the MH inside and warming it up. Putting on a new fuel filter may help as well. (and I recommend it) I hesitate to suggest using ether because if done improperly it can be explosive and damaging, however using ether as a last resort and by someone that knows the procedure may be a useful tool as well.
Getting all the battery boost you can get by adding a jumper my help. You need to get that thing going and producing lots of compression! Thats what starts a diesel.

On my Winnebago and on my old Gulfstream the plug for the engine heater was found in the same compartment that the shorepower was located. One just hung loose waiting to be plugged in and the other was plugged in to a receptical within the compartment. Run an extension cord from another source rather than through the MH and wait for the heater to warm things up before giving it a try.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ok, we got the generator started, so that lets me know the fuel is not gelled up. Have looked in every outside compartment and there is not plug to plug in. We have the preheater switch next to the driver seat on. We are going to wait now for about an hour and see if we can start it.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder
I have an 03 Phaeton and my block heater plugin is under the bed. I don't know about you model but have a look
Ron
Sidewinder, thanks for the link you sent. It did help. As soon as we get it started we will open the slides and check under the bed as you suggested. With your unit, when you plug that in, then do you need to plug the coach into your house AC? Thanks for your help!!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
JWCox
You might want to join the Tiffin owners RV site. Ask you question there and watch the answers you will get.

TiffinRVNetwork

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwcox View Post
Sidewinder, thanks for the link you sent. It did help. As soon as we get it started we will open the slides and check under the bed as you suggested. With your unit, when you plug that in, then do you need to plug the coach into your house AC? Thanks for your help!!
Yes I plug into the house at 15 amp. Otherwise you are draining your batteries through the inverter.
Helps to get those batteries warmed up and charged to full as well.
Luck To Ya
Ron
Old 01-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Woo Hoo! We got it started! Thank you everyone for all your help! We will be heading south on Tuesday (hopefully.. haha). We will have a blog, if you are interested in following us. Jackdianaroadtrip.tumblr.com. Again, thanks! You guys are great!