RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2019, 10:42 PM   #1

Tiffin 36L questions

Hello
I'm considering a tiffin 36LA. however I need a king bed, and a tv that I don't have to turn my neck to watch.
1. The 36la only comes with a queen bed option at 60x80. However it looks like there is about 6" on either side of the bed. Would a 72x80 king mattress squeeze in there?
2. For the living room tv is that on a swivel mount?
Thanks.

xrpb11a is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 04:36 AM   #2

I like it to

I like the 36 la to except for the bed size too. I don't believe the TV is on a swivel.

I like the ul for the king bed option, but I don't like the bunk beds though.

I will be at the rv show in Hershey this weekend and will be asking those questions. I'll update after.

Janjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:39 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We actually cut our king down to a queen to increase the space along the sides. As you get older climbing in and out is a problem and you really want side access, at least we did. As far as the TV position, probably the only reason we are not driving a Tiffin today is that they have not figured out where to put the living room TV without having to turn your head. We loved the 36LA otherwise.

We have noticed more and more models of RV now have the TV like ours that goes up and down into a cabinet and is usually directly in front of the main seating.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:03 AM   #4
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
We actually cut our king down to a queen to increase the space along the sides. As you get older climbing in and out is a problem and you really want side access, at least we did. As far as the TV position, probably the only reason we are not driving a Tiffin today is that they have not figured out where to put the living room TV without having to turn your head. We loved the 36LA otherwise.

We have noticed more and more models of RV now have the TV like ours that goes up and down into a cabinet and is usually directly in front of the main seating.
Exactly what we did. A king bed was on our must NOT have list. We gave the king Sleep Number bed to our nephew and had the base cut down for a queen Sleep Number mattress. The walk around space and night stands we added make it so much more usable for us. But, thatís why they have options.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:28 AM   #5

Have you looked at the Newmar 3710? Basically the same floor plan, but it is also on the 26K chassis whereas the Tiffin is on the 24K chassis although they will special build on the 26K chassis. Not sure if it will meet your needs, but couldnít hurt to look.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Have you looked at the Newmar 3710? Basically the same floor plan, but it is also on the 26K chassis whereas the Tiffin is on the 24K chassis although they will special build on the 26K chassis. Not sure if it will meet your needs, but couldnít hurt to look.
Yes we like that model on the Newmar side.
I didn't know about the chassis difference.

I'm not a chassis pro at all . I assume it will let you carry more weight

What are the advantages.
Janjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:35 AM   #7

Well two 40lb dogs and two adults cannot coexist on a queen bed hence the king requirement.
The Newmar 3710 looks interesting will look at one in person this weekend .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf View Post
Exactly what we did. A king bed was on our must NOT have list. We gave the king Sleep Number bed to our nephew and had the base cut down for a queen Sleep Number mattress. The walk around space and night stands we added make it so much more usable for us. But, thatís why they have options.
xrpb11a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:22 AM   #8

Have you considered the 32SA? it is 35 feet long vs 37.5 feet, but does have the king bed. Plenty of room for two adults and pets. There is a small amount of space on either side of the bed to get in and out of. Just a though since a KS bed seems to be a requirement.
HighDesert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:46 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Wish I could help but don't know anything about the Tiffin. Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:49 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
...and a tv that I don't have to turn my neck to watch.

I'm surprised at your comment about having to turn your neck to see the TV in the 36LA. The TV is mounted on the angled half bath wall pointed towards the opposite wall with the sofa and recliner. Newmar 3710 is almost exactly the same layout, but without the recliner. I always thought the 36LA and the 3710 were about the best in class as far as being able to easily and comfortably watch the TV. I'm sure you could add a swivel mount to the wall. What am I missing?
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janjim View Post
Yes we like that model on the Newmar side.
I didn't know about the chassis difference.

I'm not a chassis pro at all . I assume it will let you carry more weight

What are the advantages.

You have to be careful of the GCWR (combined) and GVWR that is amount the coach can carry itself. The 24K chassis with the lower GVWR could restrict the amount you can carry depending on how you load it. I have found many gas coaches (new) that only provide a few hundred pounds of carrying capacity once full of water, people, and things we take with us allowing for the fact that my towed vehicle is 4,500 lb. That means 500 lbs comes off the GVWR on a 26K chassis.

In reality, the only difference between the 24K and 26K F53 chassis is the rear springs.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin