Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-23-2016, 07:30 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 166
Tiffin Allegro Breeze 32 or Thor Palazzo 33.4

I want to post this thread here instead of in the specific owner forum so that I may get better feedback from owners of both brands.

I am still in the research for my "Last MH First", and come across the Tiffin Allegro Breeze 32. I was wondering if you can afford and have the cash to pay for the new 2016 model or better, which one would you choose provided both brands have their latest design and layout and why?

The reason that I try to compare the Allegro Breeze 32 with Thor Palazzo 33.4 because both has the similar floor plan, Palazzo has 1 foot longer, the MSRP for the Allegro cost $20,000 higher than Palazzo, on one hand, the Palazzo offered more amenities, on the other hand, many people spoke highly about Tiffin.

Let say that after you have owned the product for some months now, if you could do it all over again, knowing what you know now, how would you pick your motorhome at this price point based on the following:
1 - Quality / workmanship
2 - Reliability
3 - Power/Handling including ride comfort. The Allegro has a smaller engine compared to the Palazzo
4 - Mileage
5 - For the warranty period, how many time did you as the owner of the product have to take your coach back to the manufacturer or dealer for warranty work, and how long was your need to be fixed list, and what was your most major repair work and how long was your coach in the shop within that warranty period.
6 - Add anything that may be a deal breaker for you.

I know that I could buy some bigger name with more money and maybe have a better product as far as quality and workmanship, but my limit is on the coach size and it landed me to these entry level DP models.

I am looking for a diesel pusher that less than 35 foot long, with the GVWR less than 26,001 lbs. so the petite wife (4'10") could drive with her class C driver license as well in case of emergency and reliable as much as possible. I have made up my mind that I will go with the Diesel Pusher and not the Gasser for various reason.

Thanks for your help to enlighting me on searching for the best possible.
__________________

__________________
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 08:03 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
MisterT's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: western NC mountains!
Posts: 2,739
since we haven't owned a Tiffin, I can only come from my side of the Palazzo comparison, though we've also owned a '15 FR Georgetown XL360DS and a '13 Blackwood fifth wheel.

Our Palazzo was a purchase after we traveled to TX to purchase a Thor Challenger(gas) that had yet to arrive. Not having a diesel history, I was reluctant to take the DW advice to look at the Palazzo line, but some convincing later, and a test drive, made me a believer. I now would be hard pressed to go back to a gas vehicle.
The Palazzo, as an entry level 'compact' diesel motorcoach, is well designed, for the most part, and can accommodate most any needs, even for us full timers.

I will admit that there are several things I would engineer or construct differently, such as the wet bay plumbing, and the storage bay floors, but these are not deal breakers. I'll point out some basic differences that I see with the Tiffin Allegro 32...

Some comparisons:
Palazzo: smaller storage 'compartments'(plywood based)
Allegro: door entrance at passenger seat, versus easier mid-coach
Allegro: smaller 275hp vs 300hp
Palazzo: TPO roof versus Fiberglass roof
Allegro: no bedroom slide
Palazzo: no opposing living room slide
Allegro: no front drop-down bunk/storage
Allegro: walk-thru split bath
Allegro: no eating table

also, Tiffin service center/factory in N Alabama vs Thor service center in N Indiana
__________________

__________________
The Turners 2014 Thor Palazzo DP 33.3 35'

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:18 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
DegoRed's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 716
Allegro all day long and twice on Sunday, life is too short to own anything made by Thor, good luck.
__________________
2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:37 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
since we haven't owned a Tiffin, I can only come from my side of the Palazzo comparison, though we've also owned a '15 FR Georgetown XL360DS and a '13 Blackwood fifth wheel.

Our Palazzo was a purchase after we traveled to TX to purchase a Thor Challenger(gas) that had yet to arrive. Not having a diesel history, I was reluctant to take the DW advice to look at the Palazzo line, but some convincing later, and a test drive, made me a believer. I now would be hard pressed to go back to a gas vehicle.
The Palazzo, as an entry level 'compact' diesel motorcoach, is well designed, for the most part, and can accommodate most any needs, even for us full timers.

I will admit that there are several things I would engineer or construct differently, such as the wet bay plumbing, and the storage bay floors, but these are not deal breakers. I'll point out some basic differences that I see with the Tiffin Allegro 32...

Some comparisons:
Palazzo: smaller storage 'compartments'(plywood based)
Allegro: door entrance at passenger seat, versus easier mid-coach
Allegro: smaller 275hp vs 300hp
Palazzo: TPO roof versus Fiberglass roof
Allegro: no bedroom slide
Palazzo: no opposing living room slide
Allegro: no front drop-down bunk/storage
Allegro: walk-thru split bath
Allegro: no eating table

also, Tiffin service center/factory in N Alabama vs Thor service center in N Indiana
MisterT,

Since I am a newbie and still researching, I have read many of your posts and admit that I learned quite a few things from you. Thanks for your sharing and hope to keep learning more from you.

Having that said, I do agree with you on your assessment. I for one, unless that something really strong influence to change my mind, but DP is my current choice.

Regard to the different between the Breeze and Palazzo specific model 33.4 which Palazzo has almost the same layout which I am aware:
1 - Walkthrough split bath
2 - Opposing slides
3 - Palazzo has overhead bunk
4 - Palazzo has the washer and dryer
5 - Palazzo has the mid-ship entry which I like more as well as has a desk on the passenger seat.
6 - The smaller engine which may be okay if based on the 22,000 GVWR on the Allegro vs. 26,000 GVWR on the Palazzo.
7 - No bedroom slide, may be fine if consider it as one less thing to break.
8 - Good point about the TPO roof...
9 - Better cook top ... eh... not that big deal... but sill like the more (close to) the residential look stove than Allegro camping trailer style (so I called) cook top.

Besides all of the above mentioned, what I am really interested in from the Allegro owners to help me point out some of the "not so obvious" that would make the Allegro more of a choice even it cost $20,000 higher, much more than $20,000 if added all of the above mentioned.

It is come down to the quality and workmanship. Would that $20,000 or more buy me a bigger piece of mind that I will spend more time to enjoy my retirement or still have to "busting my butts" to repair or pay for the repair shop to fix the thing that will fail like I would on the Palazzo.
__________________
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:43 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Allegro all day long and twice on Sunday, life is too short to own anything made by Thor, good luck.
Thank for your comment, however, I was wondering that what experience that you have or had with Tiffin and Thor in the past that makes you sound adamant about Thor?

I would love and appreciate to learn about your past experiences with either brand or both if you would not mind sharing.

I was once looking at the Fleetwood Discovery 40G and 40X as well and love it, but due to the size of the coach, I have to disregard the model for now since the DW does not feel comfortable handling the coach.
__________________
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:13 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 2,284
I think your comparison of the Palazzo to a Breeze is way off the mark. The Breeze is a downsized Class A that was designed from the beginning to be smaller. It is narrower, lower, and has less slides than a normal Class A.

If you want to compare the Palazzo to a Tiffin product, the closest is the Allegro RED. The RED has 4 slides, sits on the same chassis as the Palazzo, and is available with a slew of options, floor plans, and so on.

I don't know what you are using for price comparisons but MSRPs don't necessarily mean anything with all of the discounting that goes on in the motorhome industry.

My impression of Thor products is not good. Lots of flash, no backbone. Things are not built to last - just look good. Pressed wood instead of plywood. Poorly engineered slide mechanisms and so on. Look at coaches built by Tiffin and Newmar - solid, well designed, built to last more than the warranty period.
__________________
Roger & Mary
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (Sold)
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
I think your comparison of the Palazzo to a Breeze is way off the mark. The Breeze is a downsized Class A that was designed from the beginning to be smaller. It is narrower, lower, and has less slides than a normal Class A.

If you want to compare the Palazzo to a Tiffin product, the closest is the Allegro RED. The RED has 4 slides, sits on the same chassis as the Palazzo, and is available with a slew of options, floor plans, and so on.

I don't know what you are using for price comparisons but MSRPs don't necessarily mean anything with all of the discounting that goes on in the motorhome industry.

My impression of Thor products is not good. Lots of flash, no backbone. Things are not built to last - just look good. Pressed wood instead of plywood. Poorly engineered slide mechanisms and so on. Look at coaches built by Tiffin and Newmar - solid, well designed, built to last more than the warranty period.
I am not defending any brand at all since I have not committed to any. Granted, the MSRP does not represent the final cost of the unit when I signed it on the dotted line, for the comparison, we just use the MSRP for easy discussion, because I felt like if the Tiffin is that much better of a coach and everyone would buy one, for the demand and supply, the discount would not be that great to make the different at the end value.

Having that said, the main question is still... from the surface, and for the sake of discussion, let assumed that the Tiffin is a much better coach, you would know it better since you own one. For the Allegro Red, the nearest MSRP is not $20,000 higher, but $40,000 to $50,000 higher than for a compatible "chunk of steel and fiberglass, wood, etc. from Thor", would that worth the different? would the coach give me more time to enjoy rather than time to wait at the shop for repair?

What I am understood was (correct me if I am wrong), does not matter what the coach would cost, a $50,000 to the $2,000,000, each one would have their own problem, the most expensive coach would have the most expensive problem, may be less problem than the cheaper brand, but at the end, a headache is a headache unless I have a lot of money to throw at the problem anytime it occurred which I know for sure and obviously I am not that rich.

At $20,000 to $50,000 different on a coach, how many years of "first class" extended service warranty that I could buy to give me the same feeling of having a lot of money to throw at the problem so I do not have a headache? Because even if I could cough up and spend that extra $20,000 to $50,000 to go with Tiffin, I will still have the problem to deal with after the warranty period is over anyway right? But if I spend the money on a cheaper model say, Thor Palazzo, I still have that much money left to cover my extended warranty, and pay for many other things... to help me to relieve my headache... right? One could say that I could pay for the extended warranty on Tiffin as well, which is true, but then it will add more to the cost different, right?

Sorry, I am not trying to offend anyone, if I do, please accept my apology. I am just trying to make sense of my learning and understanding of what I am about to venture into and to make sure that I would make close to the right choice as I could.

Cheer!
__________________
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:06 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Athol, Id
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Allegro all day long and twice on Sunday, life is too short to own anything made by Thor, good luck.
That's a big 10-4
__________________
2008 Dutch Star 4035
Retired IBEW Local 595
Dutchstar08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:35 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
rvadventure's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 275
Nicely said! And well written, must not be using an I Pad.Regards
__________________
2009 Monaco Camelot 425 HP Cummins ISL 40QDP
Toad- 2011 ford- flex tow 4 wheel down
rvadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:56 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
CJ7365's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamdle View Post
I am not defending any brand at all since I have not committed to any. Granted, the MSRP does not represent the final cost of the unit when I signed it on the dotted line, for the comparison, we just use the MSRP for easy discussion, because I felt like if the Tiffin is that much better of a coach and everyone would buy one, for the demand and supply, the discount would not be that great to make the different at the end value.

Having that said, the main question is still... from the surface, and for the sake of discussion, let assumed that the Tiffin is a much better coach, you would know it better since you own one. For the Allegro Red, the nearest MSRP is not $20,000 higher, but $40,000 to $50,000 higher than for a compatible "chunk of steel and fiberglass, wood, etc. from Thor", would that worth the different? would the coach give me more time to enjoy rather than time to wait at the shop for repair?

What I am understood was (correct me if I am wrong), does not matter what the coach would cost, a $50,000 to the $2,000,000, each one would have their own problem, the most expensive coach would have the most expensive problem, may be less problem than the cheaper brand, but at the end, a headache is a headache unless I have a lot of money to throw at the problem anytime it occurred which I know for sure and obviously I am not that rich.

At $20,000 to $50,000 different on a coach, how many years of "first class" extended service warranty that I could buy to give me the same feeling of having a lot of money to throw at the problem so I do not have a headache? Because even if I could cough up and spend that extra $20,000 to $50,000 to go with Tiffin, I will still have the problem to deal with after the warranty period is over anyway right? But if I spend the money on a cheaper model say, Thor Palazzo, I still have that much money left to cover my extended warranty, and pay for many other things... to help me to relieve my headache... right? One could say that I could pay for the extended warranty on Tiffin as well, which is true, but then it will add more to the cost different, right?

Sorry, I am not trying to offend anyone, if I do, please accept my apology. I am just trying to make sense of my learning and understanding of what I am about to venture into and to make sure that I would make close to the right choice as I could.

Cheer!
Tamdle,

Because you are buying new and spending a lot of money, IMO I would go and walk through both coaches, so you can see and compare for yourself of the quality of the RV you are purchasing.

I absolutely love the quality of my Tiffin, I bought my RV used.

I would also recommend going to the manufactures website, and watch their videos
__________________
2005 Tiffin Allegro Bay 37DB
W22 Workhorse Chassis 8.1 Flat Towing a 82 Jeep CJ7
CJ7365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:47 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
RSteele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 156
I have had bad experiences with two of Thor's products, a fifth wheel and a class a coach. Do what you want but Thor absolutely puts profit over quality and in the case of my fifth wheel, safety also. Just do some searching on the Internet about Thor's quality control and longevity, you will see what I mean. Never again for me.
__________________
07 Winnebago Vectra 40 TD ISL 400. Tru-balance, centramatics, Koni shocks
RSteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:16 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
VSPA's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Humble/Atascocita, Texas
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Allegro all day long and twice on Sunday, life is too short to own anything made by Thor, good luck.
Ditto! I've only had gassers, but had a Tiffin as my first Class A. Only reason I traded it for the Thor is I did not like the Chevy drivetrain and wanted the Ford V10. The Thor was a disaster.
__________________
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers (Sandy & Sassy)
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF, Retired, Life Member: DAV, VFW, VVA, & VSPA
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:27 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
mojoracing's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: northern IL
Posts: 2,557
Ive sold both and fixed both. Not even a horserace, Tiffin all the way. The build quality is head and shoulders above the Thor. Crawl under both, look in the hidden areas, pull out drawers and look up inside compartments and you will buy the Tiffin.
__________________
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:34 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Johnny Mac10's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: May 2015
Location: KCMO
Posts: 157
I agree with CJ7365. Look at them both in person. We own a 2016 Tiffin gasser and there was no comparison to the quality compared to the Thor, Coachman, Fleetwood etc that we looked at. The 2017 Breeze is a gorgeous coach, the only downside I see is the 5k tow rating for a dp.
__________________

__________________
J & V
Johnny Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
thor, tiffin



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Tiffin Allegro Breeze 32BR SeeTheUSA New Rig Show-Off! 13 04-03-2014 02:55 AM
Tiffin Allegro Breeze 28BR for family of 4? bill_m3 Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum 3 01-20-2013 06:39 PM
Tiffin Allegro Breeze 28 BR vs. 32 BR Rodesq Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum 14 10-21-2011 02:33 AM
new Tiffin allegro breeze hhhorning Class A Motorhome Discussions 4 08-16-2011 08:22 PM
Tiffin Motorhomes introduces High-End, Compact Allegro Breeze DriVer RV Industry Press 16 02-20-2010 10:10 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.