Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2014, 02:26 AM   #1

Tiffin Allegro Red 33aa vs Winnebago Adventurer 38q

Deciding between the Tiffin DP and Winnebago gasser. Excluding fuel difference, maintainence diff, price. What would you get new and why?
Mustanghoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2014, 05:09 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Did you drive both?

If you did and felt no difference, get the gas.
Later on you'll be back to the DP.

Happens a lot
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:34 AM   #3

I have not driven either yet. I expect ride and handling won't be drastically different, both are quality units and good floor plans. Key question for me is the extra torque worth the cost.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanghoot View Post
I have not driven either yet. I expect ride and handling won't be drastically different, both are quality units and good floor plans. Key question for me is the extra torque worth the cost.
The red is a DP with air ride / brakes. The adventurer is on springs. Your expectation is unrealistic, IMO. Quality of coach construction has little effect on chassis ride and hanndling.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #5

Telling you which I one "I" would pick offers you zero useful information. MH's are mission specific and highly individualized purchases, so how I would use it is different than you would use it. For example I currently full-time in a Winnebago Adventurer, this coach fitted our full-timing "mission" better than the DP I owned before that. The DP however better fit our part-time weekend warrior over the western mountain passes "mission" better than our current coach.

If you really want to know which one I would buy "new" the answer is neither. I would buy a gently used unit and let someone else take the massive hit on depreciation.

Good luck.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #6

There is absolutely no comparison between the gasser and the DP when it comes to ride and comfort.

The gasser is built on a truck chassis with old-fashioned leaf springs. It rides like a truck.

The DP is built on a chassis specifically designed for motor homes. It has air suspension and will ride like a dream.

But the real key to whether you will like it is the floor plan. The DW MUST be happy with that or the game's over.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:01 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Not sure why you picked those two to compare. The RED 33AA is a very nice floor plan but it has limited basement storage. You might be more satisfied with the 34, 36, 38 ft versions on that chassis. The Winnie is more comparable to the Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA. Both are on Ford Chassis but I have a feeling the long wheelbase Tiffin might just be a bit more comfortable to drive. When you really start comparing, you will find that the Tiffin will give you much more for your dollar than Winnie will. Just my opinion...
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Not sure why you picked those two to compare. The RED 33AA is a very nice floor plan but it has limited basement storage. You might be more satisfied with the 34, 36, 38 ft versions on that chassis. The Winnie is more comparable to the Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA. Both are on Ford Chassis but I have a feeling the long wheelbase Tiffin might just be a bit more comfortable to drive. When you really start comparing, you will find that the Tiffin will give you much more for your dollar than Winnie will. Just my opinion...
I agree
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:45 AM   #9

We looked at the RED's and were serious about the Tiffin product as a whole. The problem we found with the 33AA was the very small bathroom. We would have bought it except for that. We then looked hard at the 36 and 38 also, but since we decided to up our ante a bit, we looked at the Newmar Ventana LE line and decided it offered more. We placed a deposit on the 3847 yesterday. The 33 I believe only has a 195" WB and that might be an issue in windy conditions and rougher road surfaces. The longer WB of the 38 Winnie might just be better in the wind. Drive them both on an extended drive to get the feel of both and then decide, but chances are your wife will have her way in the end. LOL

Good luck in your search.
capnqball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
I agree

Happy wife, happy life....choose floor plan first - although the DP is the better ride/handling.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #11

Thanks everyone for the inputs.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:35 PM   #12

Ride and handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post

Happy wife, happy life....choose floor plan first - although the DP is the better ride/handling.
Can't imagine ride and handling any better than 36LA as I have no complaints whatsoever with mine.
Perhaps you are compairing something you drove 20 yrs ago.
All depends on intended use.
If on the road all the time DP might be better, if used for a 1/2 dozen weeks gas as good, easier and less $$ maintenance, service at any garage, less complicated suspension and brakes, no special license endorsments.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Can't imagine ride and handling any better than 36LA as I have no complaints whatsoever with mine.
Perhaps you are compairing something you drove 20 yrs ago.
All depends on intended use.
If on the road all the time DP might be better, if used for a 1/2 dozen weeks gas as good, easier and less $$ maintenance, service at any garage, less complicated suspension and brakes, no special license endorsments.
I drove both last year and there is a huge difference between a diesel pusher with air suspension and and a gas unit with leaf suspension. Also a huge difference between air brakes and hydraulic brakes. If you get a DP with a jake brake that will also be a huge difference when going down hills. I am not saying a DP is the best way to go that is a decision that is mission specific as another poster said. However in the areas you mentioned I felt like there was a lot of difference.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #14

Totally agree w/Rich-N-Linda, had a 1999 Win Chieftain on a Ford chassis for 13 years, loved the floor plan hated the ride and handling. Currently have a 2007 Monaco Camelot, all the difference in the world, great ride and handling, floor plan so so. Also totally agree with the gentlemen that suggested gently used, they are out there if your patient, got a great deal on the Monaco it was little less that 5 yrs old with 47k which I'm told is just right.
kenbaumsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin, vent, winnebago