Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2019, 11:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram-Man View Post
I have drove every truck almost imaginable pulling horses, cattle and hay all over the eastern part of the country.Pullings weights much more than these motorhomes. Driven about every kind of tractor and multiple other types of farm equipment.
And you couldn't find the brake pedal?

Not sure what to tell you at this point.....
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2019, 11:31 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Perfect example why professional training and licensing should be mandatory to drive large RV's, especially those with air brakes.
Yep, just what we need - more regulations! Always the answer.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:33 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Some of the last few answers are a little arrogant, telling others they need more skill in driving. No one said they were unable to use the brakes, they just wanted to be more comfortable in their use. Most motor home operators drive their coaches once or twice a month and go long stretches without touching the throttle or the brake. It doesn't make them inept, it just means they don't have the muscle memory from everyday use. How will a test improve that? Having something that you can comfortably slide your foot against is a much better suggestion on how to solve the issue, than the ridicule some of you provided.

I always find it sad that some of you never post an original thought or helpful suggestion, yet you're always ready to criticize.

jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:42 PM   #32

Quote:
Some of the last few answers are a little arrogant, telling others they need more skill in driving. No one said they were unable to use the brakes, they just wanted to be more comfortable in their use. Most motor home operators drive their coaches once or twice a month and go long stretches without touching the throttle or the brake. It doesn't make them inept, it just means they don't have the muscle memory from everyday use. How will a test improve that? Having something that you can comfortably slide your foot against is a much better suggestion on how to solve the issue, than the ridicule some of you provided.

I always find it sad that some of you never post an original thought or helpful suggestion, yet you're always ready to criticize.
With all due respect Don, OP stated he blew into an intersection because he couldn't find the brake pedal..."a couple of cars had to dodge me".. That's "unable to use the brakes" in my book, and a serious lack in skill. Not "being more comfortable". If it was a driver's test he'd be walking home from right there and the examiner would be changing his underwear.

And I did have a helpful suggestion.... training and practice. There's nothing wrong with the pedals. Unless of course you find that the manufacturer has sold us an unsafe configuration and then you all can start a class action law suit. I won't be joining.

Having made my point I will bow out. No intent to start an argument over this. I have moho projects to do.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
Old 02-22-2019, 03:54 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I also apologize if my comment was "snarky" as I made the initial suggestion to spend some time and get used to it By practicing the "movement". I'm also sorry but all the Years driving triple Tractor trailers , "comfort" isn't the issue when you cant find the pedal and blow a stop .. lucky or not. My Company would have possibly fired me, if not for the "union " mandated retraining and safety rides I would have been forced to do. I came from a slip seated world where you didn't change "normal" equipment and "that" type pedal configuration is very common, has been for decades ! It's not demeaning and I didn't mean it to be , to suggest what every pro driver would be told. Become familiar with the equipment. Build the memory. Wouldn't spending a couple days, for a few minutes a day, in the driveway/campsite pushing pedals re engineering the mind be far easier than re engineering a standard common system found in many Vehicles this size ? Maybe not. I apologize again for my prior post.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:33 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Well said, Dutch Star Don. I got a new jeep wrangler, the rear gate handle is on the left, my old jeep gate handle was on the right. When I go to open the new jeep back gate, I sometimes reach to the right to open the gate, guess I need to take more driving skills to drive this jeep. I got 2 motorhomes, 1 freightliner, 1 roadmaster, both give me fits driving them using the brakes, I think my biggest problems, the brake, and fuel pedals are to close together. Thanks Dutch Star Don, you are always there to help someone, not criticize them. My motorhomes are both old, not driving freightliner no more, fixing to sale... Randy
LickingTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:51 AM   #35

I'll offer my experience for consideration if anyone contemplating mods.
I have the truck / bus style pads on both and like them. My problem was the accelerator pedal was mounted farther forward than the brake and being farther from the center of driver seat so I found myself always stretching to use it when positioned comfortable for the brake.
Fairly easy fix... I added a block similar to others on the accelerator.
This is first long trip and I found it very easy to slide L to R or R to L but also noticed it was more difficult to know exactly where I was. Previously had to consciously raise foot to go to brake but not with them inline and able to slide it's harder to tell where I am.
Thanks for the pics of the side stops... I think that will be my next project.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:00 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
With all due respect Don, OP stated he blew into an intersection because he couldn't find the brake pedal..."a couple of cars had to dodge me".. That's "unable to use the brakes" in my book, and a serious lack in skill. Not "being more comfortable". If it was a driver's test he'd be walking home from right there and the examiner would be changing his underwear.

And I did have a helpful suggestion.... training and practice. There's nothing wrong with the pedals. Unless of course you find that the manufacturer has sold us an unsafe configuration and then you all can start a class action law suit. I won't be joining.

Having made my point I will bow out. No intent to start an argument over this. I have moho projects to do.
With all due respect, I think you need to read the OP. He was out for a test drive, first time in vehicle, how do you get practice and training for that? I also don’t think people in my world take “test drive” vehicles to do a driving test to get a license , don’t know. about your world. Give him a little break, I understand exactly what he went through.
Hope you have a good day, at least good enough to adjust your attitude just a bit.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:02 AM   #37

Thanks guys for those of you who understood the original question and support. When I read the forums I just read the informative ones and skip the sarcastic ones. I do enjoy the ones creating a good laugh though.

Maybe some of this was my fault and I should have used better wording for those who read too much into things. It was my first time reaching for the brake in this coach and using my normal muscle memory, finding it was not a normal move. I also could not FEEL the pedal with my foot. This does not mean I am an idiot or a complete amateur by no means. If I was I would say that also but not the case. I was just asking if anyone else had experienced this.
The Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:08 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Went and test drove a Tiffin Allegro RED a few weeks ago and something happened which was kind of embarrasing but time to let it out to see if it has happened to anyone else or just me.

I left the dealership parking lot and was headed to a busy 4 way intersection. As I got close and needed to start braking, I reached over with my right foot and could not find the brake pedal. I kept searching but could not find it. Yep right out into the intersection I coasted and a couple cars had to dodge me. The brake pedal is identical to fuel pedal and both are floor mounted. Not sure if I was only catching half way up on the brake or what. Test drove the Newmar Ventana LE and it had a regular pedal as my truck.

Made it through the incident with no horns blowing and no fingers getting thrown at me but just wanting to know if any one else has had similar problem with brake pedal and does it go away after driving for a while?
I had the same problem with our test drive Monday!
Luckily I had this issue figured out before we left the RV lot.
But I do know what you mean!
They put the brake pedal way too close to the Accelerator pedal and your foot can bump up against the Steering column when you reach too far to the left!
rlsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:09 PM   #39

We've had our 2018 Red since June and it took about a month to feel comfortable with the brake pedal as well as the tile around the gas pedal. I use the steering column as a stop when moving my foot to the brake and use full foot pressure when stopping. Additionally, my heel would also get caught on the tile when moving my foot off of the gas pedal. I just took a rubber door mat, trimmed it to fit the opening and about 9" deep, double sided taped it to the tile at the base of the pedals. It not only solved the heel catching, but also provides a little cushion for my heel. If anyone at Red Bay has a better solution, please post it and I'm sure that it will help us all. Good luck.
crabbd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:11 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsharp View Post
Luckily I had this issue figured out before we left the RV lot.
Don't think that's luck. It's good seamanship.

I'm not being sarcastic, I am dead serious. You need to know where the brake is before you put it in gear. If it's in a goofy spot you STOP and LOOK and THINK about it for a little while. Anything short of that is bad airmanship.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:44 PM   #41

That sounds like when I got a new (to me) motorcycle and learning the shifter and rear brake pedals took some time getting used to. It is frightening when your foot can't find the right pedal for sure. As far as the RV, I am almost always on cruise control so I can stretch my legs anywhere I need to.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:54 PM   #42

Quote:
Yes I hit the brakes to engage transmission and release air but never had to hit them again till the intersection. Its kinda hard to explain how they work but they are really close together and identical. As far as just reaching over with your foot as normal its really difficult to feel the pedal. As I was test driving I kept letting off fuel and making sure I could find it. I know it sounds dumb but its something to get used to for me.
Our ‘98 Allegro Bus came from Freightliner with its truck-style metal, bottom-hinged accelerator and brake pedals. I liked them and wouldn’t mind having them at all on our current Phaeton. Your mileage may vary.
GWA1225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allegro, brake, tiffin