Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2019, 10:06 PM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram-Man View Post
Sorry JT.. I dont think I started this but I will take the blame. I was just asking if anyone had any similar issue or thoughts on the brake pedal. I thought I just stood my ground.. This is a good forum and rather than cause trouble, I will just read and not post unless its a have to case.
My comment was not directed at you. You originally posted legitimate comments regarding the brake pedal and your experience. No foul with that.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2019, 12:15 PM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
awareness of the brake pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram-Man View Post
Sorry JT.. I dont think I started this but I will take the blame. I was just asking if anyone had any similar issue or thoughts on the brake pedal. I thought I just stood my ground.. This is a good forum and rather than cause trouble, I will just read and not post unless its a have to case.
No blame should be taken!
"Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts"
It is unfortunate when a person tries to ask questions on this site and gets hit with negative comments that neither help or encourage open feedback.
On the positive note many members did post photos of some of the issues with pedal placement and potential problems.
I believe the intent of this thread was to bring awareness of the uncommon experience of the brake pedal for new FL drivers, nothing more.
I was fortunate that my driving instructor warned me of this potential hazard before I entered heavy traffic.
She said it will take some time to become familiar with the distance and feel of the two pedals.
rlsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:07 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
My comment was not directed at you. You originally posted legitimate comments regarding the brake pedal and your experience. No foul with that.
jt
Thanks JT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsharp View Post
No blame should be taken!
"Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts"
It is unfortunate when a person tries to ask questions on this site and gets hit with negative comments that neither help or encourage open feedback.
On the positive note many members did post photos of some of the issues with pedal placement and potential problems.
I believe the intent of this thread was to bring awareness of the uncommon experience of the brake pedal for new FL drivers, nothing more.
I was fortunate that my driving instructor warned me of this potential hazard before I entered heavy traffic.
She said it will take some time to become familiar with the distance and feel of the two pedals.
Thanks for the post RL..
Yes sir and I agree fully. Even the sales person that was with me said that was not the first time and after a few times it would become more natural. She said jumping from bus to bus like they do moving them around and going to shows it had actually happened to her.. Its not like I " blew " into the intersection. I coasted up to the intersection and might have been going 3-4 mph..

I hope posting this thread might help someone else if they are test driving a particular bus for the first time.
The Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:49 AM   #60

Tiffin Owners Club
Back on topic... The more i drive our coach the more natural it becomes and now i don't even notice it being any more difficult or different.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:50 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
Back on topic... The more i drive our coach the more natural it becomes and now i don't even notice it being any more difficult or different.
We ended up ordering the 37BA so glad to hear... Thanks
Old 03-08-2019, 07:55 PM   #62

Tiffin Owners Club
You will love it. Have some great safe adventures with it.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:45 AM   #63

Can you get more pressure on the freighliner pedels
If not what is the reason for these pedels
igapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:32 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
So the guy with a Class A CDL and an instructor for same and a few other professional drivers are telling you that it's YOU and not the pedals and we're stupid? Got it.

Did you put your whole foot on it like you're supposed to with these pedals? Why would they make them a foot tall if you're only going to use the bottom 2 inches? But since you know how to drive trucks and all that this is not the issue?

Lets put it this way.... if you lift your foot up 6 inches and stomp down it's hard NOT to hit that surf board of a pedal...... Your foot had to just about have been under your seat!

And then you had to make it personal.

Aye aye.

OK mods.... flush me out. I'm done with this charade. Sorry.
Just an update that I didn't find out until a short while ago but wanted to share. The sales person that sold us our rig called to tell me that Tiffin got rid of the pedals and made a change to the 2020's that are truck style due to the significant complaints from buyers. They are now the same as the Allegro Bus now.. I have not seen one but that's just what the sales lady told me. Anybody have any experience or seen 2020's?

Also on mine, I added a 3" x 3" by 3/4" block to my brake pedal. Installed right where the ball of my foot hits the brake pedal. It gives a different depth to the pedal and much easier to find and brake. Just offering suggestions if someone needs it..
Old 10-24-2019, 08:32 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickingTexas View Post
Well said, Dutch Star Don. I got a new jeep wrangler, the rear gate handle is on the left, my old jeep gate handle was on the right. When I go to open the new jeep back gate, I sometimes reach to the right to open the gate, guess I need to take more driving skills to drive this jeep. I got 2 motorhomes, 1 freightliner, 1 roadmaster, both give me fits driving them using the brakes, I think my biggest problems, the brake, and fuel pedals are to close together. Thanks Dutch Star Don, you are always there to help someone, not criticize them. My motorhomes are both old, not driving freightliner no more, fixing to sale... Randy
My pedals are also too close together (2" between pedals-same height), I've found myself braking and accelerating at the same time . I am more careful with my footwear choices now, it seems the thicker the sole, the more I depress both pedals at the same time.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:14 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
My pedals are also too close together (2" between pedals-same height), I've found myself braking and accelerating at the same time . I am more careful with my footwear choices now, it seems the thicker the sole, the more I depress both pedals at the same time.
Yes Sir I noticed the same thing about my shoe selection while driving. You are experiencing the same thing. The block I put on the brake really helps to find the pedal easier because of the difference in the feel and difference in thickness of the pedals. I have drove a lot barefoot or sock footed which helps a lot also.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:53 PM   #67

Our Winnebago also has the bottom hinged brake pedal. It had been a really long time since I had driven anything like that, but with in an hour I was fine and there has been no awkwardness since.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:43 PM   #68

Well, I just want to say, that yes, this thread did get a little "snarky".....but what I really want to point out is that the OP had the courage to even share the story with us.
A Lot of folks would have said nothing for fear of embarrassment. I thank you for sharing. I did learn a few good tips while wallowing through this. I too have a Freightliner with the flat pedals, after having a Revolution with the "truck pedals" . I DO like the truck pedals over the "flat twins" (no dirty jokes here ) It did take some getting used to..... We are all different in our opinions and some have better ideas than others. It is nice to be able to use this forum to exchange that information and those ideas and meet some cool folks along the way. Lets face it.....If we were all perfect what fun would it be? Safe Travels!
Det57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:19 PM   #69

I work for an RV dealer and drive an assortment of diesels all the time. First thing I do is check for where things are, including the brake pedal. Other thing I do is what I learned in pilot training, give it enough case to get a slow roll then hit the brakes to insure operation. But then I have a CDL and am expected to not make mistakes.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:09 AM   #70

I can see this happening. You first consciously put your foot on the brake. Then the brain becomes busy with all the new switches, mirrors, size of the vehicle. You rely on sub-conscious muscle memory for the pedals, and then that fails.

I'm surprised no one has seen the fault is with the dealer and sales rep. They know this can be an issue and did not point out to the customer that they should not rely on muscle memory for the brake and have to move that to the conscious part of the brain. They should have made them practice it in the parking lot before hitting the road.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allegro, brake, tiffin