Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2019, 09:16 PM   #1

Tiffin Allegro Red or Newmar Ventana LE

I am sure this horse has been beat to death but lets do it again please. Looking at the Tiffin Allegro Red 33AA and the Newmar Ventana LE3709. Not really concerned about the differences between floor plans but more concerned with reliability and factory support. Factory support because I will not be purchasing from local dealers. Nothing wrong with my local dealers other than the prices they offer vs if I shop around.

I have made sure I have compared apples to apples by using the same spec sheet and prices have varied on identical rigs as much as 13k. Now I believe in being a loyal local customer but 13k makes me more loyal to my wallet. Its hard to believe and the stories that have been told trying to rationalize why their price is higher.

Ok done with my rant. Allegro Red or Ventana LE.. Any help, opinions or experiences appreciated.
The Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2019, 10:45 PM   #2

Owning an LE I can speak for the Newmar side. Any CS I've needed has been forthcoming to my satisfaction. No issues with the factory. Other than floorplans the main difference that comes to mind is the power train. The 33AA has the 360 hp vs the 340 in the LE (unless Newmar has changed that?). Good luck in your choice.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:58 PM   #3

I have a 2018 Allegro Red 33AA and love it. Any questions I have put to Tiffin have been answered within a few days and been supportive. That doesn't say I'm happy with the dealer though. Its going to be trail and error to find a dealer your happy with.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:59 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnqball View Post
Owning an LE I can speak for the Newmar side. Any CS I've needed has been forthcoming to my satisfaction. No issues with the factory. Other than floorplans the main difference that comes to mind is the power train. The 33AA has the 360 hp vs the 340 in the LE (unless Newmar has changed that?). Good luck in your choice.
Currently, 37 and 40 ft LEs get the 360. 34 ft units still get the 340.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:28 AM   #5

Same situation here. Looking at LE3709 and Red 37BA, same exact floor plans for each. Have seen the LE and wife loves it, going to see the Tiffin next month and I think when that is done we will have our decision. Spend nearly 3 hours with NIRVC in Atlanta and they were very accommodating. Looking at ordering a 2020 since I am retiring in February of next year.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:05 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
We had the same decision between the LE and a Tiffin Red 37PA and went with the Tiffin as the price was much better (bought from one of the "big three") at 29% off MSRP.

Support from Tiffin has been amazing questions are a phone call away and questions and minor problems fixed in a very short time (minutes to a day). Also warranty fixed done at the factory was a wonderful experience.

We have been in it for almost a year and LOVE it!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:13 AM   #7

Back to the have no dealer to service and do warranty work. I do have a Tiffin dealer close by who I have already had a relationship with and thought all was good. When we priced it out there something told me to double check the price. I did and that's when things went down hill. I went back to them and told them the price I had gotten some where else and they still would not budge on their price and told me if I did not buy local I would regret it on the service and warranty end. Well I kinda took that as a threat that they would not service.

On the Newmar side of things, We have a local dealer and tried to purchase there. They do not have one in stock and when I mentioned ordering the salesman completely lost interest and have not heard back. I have called them and asked again about ordering where I did finally get a price spec'd out the way we want it. The only thing now is its 18k higher then a dealer 5 hrs away so right back in the same boat as not having a local dealer who will do the warranty and service.

They both say they would do the service but only when all of their customers were taken care of first and a non-customer would have to fall in when they could get to it.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:27 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
If you are traveling a lot, having a local dealer doesn’t count for much. Why worry about the local guy if you are 1000 miles away when something goes wrong? I recommend looking at the Tiffin when you get a chance, and then choose the one you like best. We have a Tiffin 37PA, and Tiffin has been great to work with. I have heard good things about the Newman service, but we preferred the less ornate interior of the Tiffin. (Side note: why do RV manufacturers think we all need glitz and mirrors everywhere?)
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:28 AM   #9

I have question for the Allegro red guys:

In my last trip there was about 3 or 4 of these units none very old 1-4 years in age. As i was walking the dog i noticed 3 of the guys kinda gathered talking i stopped and talked with them. None of them knew each other but each one was complaining of the same issue, that the Allegro made no access for the motor 2 of the three of them had to have a shop make an access into the motor for something mostly sounded like cummins check engine light related sensors changes. One guy made a small one the other made as large as he could.

Both paid like 2k to have these made.

Both had filed a complaint with Allegro with no response, the third guy said he had only had one issue and the shop removed the radiator to repair and that was while under warranty. But he was not sure if there was or was not access panels(he was pretty old) but his looked just like one of the others.

None of the guys did their own work so i wondered if they got took or if this a real problem.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:34 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyland View Post
I have question for the Allegro red guys:

In my last trip there was about 3 or 4 of these units none very old 1-4 years in age. As i was walking the dog i noticed 3 of the guys kinda gathered talking i stopped and talked with them. None of them knew each other but each one was complaining of the same issue, that the Allegro made no access for the motor 2 of the three of them had to have a shop make an access into the motor for something mostly sounded like cummins check engine light related sensors changes. One guy made a small one the other made as large as he could.

Both paid like 2k to have these made.

Both had filed a complaint with Allegro with no response, the third guy said he had only had one issue and the shop removed the radiator to repair and that was while under warranty. But he was not sure if there was or was not access panels(he was pretty old) but his looked just like one of the others.

None of the guys did their own work so i wondered if they got took or if this a real problem.
They are a rear radiator coach so engine access is limited when compared to a side radiator coach. This generally applies to all manufacturers, not just Tiffin.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bjr View Post
I have a 2018 Allegro Red 33AA and love it. Any questions I have put to Tiffin have been answered within a few days and been supportive. That doesn't say I'm happy with the dealer though. Its going to be trail and error to find a dealer your happy with.
Thanks for the replies. I have driven the 33AA but hard to tell on short test drives. How do you think the Rig does on long drives? Do the trucks push you? My wife is wanting to be able to drive what ever we buy. She has drove them on short drives but that is still a question.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:03 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyland View Post
These guys obviously didn't know their coaches. There is direct engine access in the rear of all of the rear radiator Tiffin coaches. A panel is removed above the rear floor and a section of the floor lifts out for access to the top of the engine, fan clutch, etc. In addition on our RED, there was a removable panel inside the driver's side rear storage compartment that gave some access to the alternator, etc.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:06 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram-Man View Post
Thanks for the replies. I have driven the 33AA but hard to tell on short test drives. How do you think the Rig does on long drives? Do the trucks push you? My wife is wanting to be able to drive what ever we buy. She has drove them on short drives but that is still a question.
We had a longer Allegro RED and it drove well on long treks. The shorter the wheelbase the more you will be pushed around by trucks and wind. A Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer can help but nothing will eliminate it. About the only coaches that don't have some sway are the longer ones with a tag axle.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:22 PM   #14

For the dealership service:
I've had more than my fill from the disgusting work done by dealerships IF they even get to you.
I found a couple of mobile guys that can do the small stuff if I can't. I also found one fixed location repair guy who has gotten permission to do warranty work on Tiffins. In fact he said Tiffin was the best manufacturer that he's ever worked with.
I just got rid of a discovery that was a nightmare even after factory repairs. Tiffin in Red Bay is half the distance of Decatur and is very accessible if you can get there during their off season.
Same goes for the chassis. There's a good Freightliner service center about 80 miles from home but Gaffney is worth the trip if there's something bigger that needs work.
The business model of every dealership requires they service their customers first. In fact,"Did you buy it from us?" is usually the first question if they don't know you.
Every RV out there is a rolling time bomb, just like putting your house through an earthquake every time out. Even the best stuff breaks.
It'll be a cold day in hell before I ever ask a dealership for service again!

For the 33AA ride and handling:
I came out of a 40' Discovery that weighed about 10000# more that the Tiffin and the wheelbase was almost 6' longer. It drove like a dream with barely any push/pull from the big rigs.
The 33AA has a little bit of the push/pull but not nearly as much as the 35' gassers I had in the past. Safe-T-Plus helped that quite a bit on the gassers and I'll probably install one if I get near Atlanta where the factory doesn't charge for installation. It's only money
Good luck with whatever path you choose.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allegro, newmar, tiffin, vent, ventana