Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2018, 06:12 PM   #1

Tiffin Allegro RED v Newmar Ventana

Hello all, newbie doing my due diligence on MH choice.

Appreciate all the experience shared here and I did search and read for hours over the past month prior posts.

I’d request those experienced with recent models to compare and contrast these two models. Pros and cons of each individually and also one strength or weakness over the other. Certainly not interested in a my dog better than yours as these are both top dog choices in my book but particulars I’m not aware of may sway my choice on likely a new purchase,

Budet limit is less of a concern than value and I’d expect DW and I to be joined by two over six feet tall teen sons most of time to Disney wilderness park, florida keys and state parks with eventual college campus visits and tailgating uses. Rare trip out of state north from Florida and Grand Canyon type visit possible.

Last RV first would be nice but a DS4369 type endgame too intimidating for now.
MajorVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We looked at both before ordering our Tiffin RED 37PA.
First and foremost this floor plan was perfect for us. We also liked the finish work a bit better in the Tiffin. But we still had a hard time choosing between the two. Drive them both, sit in them for an hour in both and just "play the video" of you living in it.
I don't think you can make a wrong choice but again floorplan is the most important factor.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:03 PM   #3

Last yr I was in the market for a DP in the 31-34 ft range due to driveway limitations at home and us not needing / wanting more space.
We seriously considered a Tiffin RED 33aa - but had several things we didn't like re: layout & furnishings.
Tiffin Dealer & I kept going back & forth but we ultimately found a 2013 Newmar Ventana 3433 and jumped at it.

Things we didn't like on the RED
Sofa was uncomfortable L shape - dealer kept telling us the L safa was the "thing" - everyone wanted them - tried to to get the dealer to do a swap for a straight sofa - even willing to wait for a future unit as we were in no rush. Bottom line dealer nor Tiffin factory would offer any options on furniture swap.

Bath room door swings the wrong way in our opinion - our old Winnie the door opened and the rear and swung towards the front effectively separating the bed / bath area (separate shower across aisle from sink / commode) from the front entertaining area. We used it a lot and sometimes had company while one of us showered / changed.

RED was Cummins 340 HP Allison 2500 Tranny I believe.
Red was single pane windows
Couldn't find a RED w/ queen bed - all were king and left little room to walk around bed - also raised floor / step over engine.

Things I like about the Ventana 3433
Cummins ISB 360 HP w/ Allison 3000 tranny
Comfort Drive is a real plus I didn't know about or appreciate when looking - it is a pleasure to drive.

Separate shower across hall from sink / commode - bath door swings opposite what we had & liked however the VT has 2 pocket doors on either side of the bath / shower area that allows separation in either direction from bath fwd or back

flat floor around bed to access closet

Double pane glass - insulation heat / cold / sound

Downside / watch-out w/ Newmars are those w/ electric slide motors - mounting bolts are loosening and need locktite, retorqueing, and some recommend wiring bolt heads ala aircraft practices. Search Newmars w/ electric slide motors - lots of info - not a showstopper in my mind but worth a check to see what condition theyare in and if anything has been done to correct.
I have a few pics if interested but the threads about it have many pics - mine included

Bottom line I would have been proud of either MH but VERY GLAD the Tiffin deal didn't go through and we kept searching.
I'd say do your research, diligence and talk to owners of both. Floor plan is key and very individual and you have to get that right.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:41 AM   #4
dp7

Three things that steered me to the Ventana:

1. Hung wall construction vs laminated.

2. TV directly across from couch, not angled.

3. Comfort drive.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:09 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tiffin Red should be better compared to Ventana LE - not the Ventana. Tiffin Phaeton is counterpart to the Ventana I believe.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:26 AM   #6

+ 1 regarding the Phaeton and Ventana comparison. The 33aa tiffin now has the 360 and Alison powertrain standard since 2017 and optional 2016.
36 GH Phaeton great floor plan.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:56 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #8

Newmar will be insulated better, have hung walls, and Comfort Drive. Not sure if prices are similar, but if they are I would lean towards the Newmar. If Tiffin is less then you will have to decide about value and what it is worth to you.

Might want to check the additional sleeping areas and bath headroom (shower) in both if you have two 6+ footers that may be staying with you.

Best of luck - both are good choices.
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:38 PM   #9

The key reason for me to get the Newmar vs the Tiffin was the floor plan. I wanted the TV to be across from me not to my right. Another huge plus for Newmar is being able to modify/change where Tiffin will not let you. I ended up getting recliners across from the TV instead of a couch. There were other options, but this one was the main one.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:49 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Having spoken to Newmar owners, they have a unique driving down the road feel, that could be better than my Tiffin 33AA. Both are good coaches. Having a Tiffin for a year now, the small thing for us that required us to stay with Tiffin was the ability to walk into the coach easily. Newmar put a handhold that was square at the entrance, just not ergonomic, just harder to actually walk up the entrance steps. It was quite a shock to both of us that such a seemingly small design element made a difference to both of us.
JOHNMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #11

What exactly are hung walls? I always had thought the Phaeton was closer to the Dutch Star. To answer the OP, floor plan is the single most important factor. Living in Florida, proximity to factory service isn't much of deciding factor, Red Bay might be a little closer but it's still a ways for you.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:02 PM   #12

In 2016 we were going to purchase a Tiffin Red 37PA. We had experience with Tiffin (at the time we owned a 36LA Gasser) and as a company they have outstanding customer service and if you need something fixed they allow you to take it to a qualified shop of your choosing and they will reimburse you. They will also pay for a front end alignment within your first year of ownership. We loved everything about the 37PA, howeever, our problem we ran into was the length of the 37PA. We already had a 39' (inside length) RV garage. The 37PA was 39'6". No way we could get it to fit. Tiffin measures inside space as length. Luckily, the dealer understood our situation (we had purchased our previous Tiffin from them) and they tore up our contract and we didn't lose anything.

We had looked at the 33AA also, but it was just a little too small for what we were used to. So we decided to look at Newmar. We found the Ventana 3709 ticked all the boxes and with comfort drive that was icing on the cake. Newmar measures on the outside so it fit in our garage. Fit and finish, Newmar and Tiffin are on par with each other. Companies are similar with Tiffin a little better in customer service.

Newmar does have a few better choices in floorplans that have better TV viewing. However, the new RED 37BA from Tiffin has TV viewing right across from the main sitting area.

Bottom line, really can't go wrong with Tiffin or Newmar.
John (USAF Reti)/Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (15 year old cat), Billie (18mos cat), Ben (18mos cat), Beau (18mos cat). '20 Tiffin 32SA (Feb 2020 arrival); Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

While both are well made. Comfort Drive makes so much difference you can't believe it. Drive both units and you'll see the difference.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:02 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
What exactly are hung walls? I always had thought the Phaeton was closer to the Dutch Star. To answer the OP, floor plan is the single most important factor. Living in Florida, proximity to factory service isn't much of deciding factor, Red Bay might be a little closer but it's still a ways for you.
I think you will find the Allegro Bus compares to the Dutch Star.
Hung wall construction is different than most. Most use some sort of laminated wall where a thin fiberglass panel is bonded to a piece of Luan and then laminated to the foam insulation and inner wall. The metal structure is also bonded into the wall. It's then installed as a complete unit. Hung wall is not laminated. Newmar's hung wall construction starts with an aluminum structure with studs on 16" centers. Plywood is then glued up to the framing and the fiberglass skin is then glued to the plywood and screwed in at the top and bottom. Batt insulation is installed, and then a layer of foam insulation followed by the interior wall panels. It is a thicker wall section, better insulated (both temperature and sound), and can't delaminate as its not laminated to begin with.

One other thing I found that seems to make the Newmar a good bit quieter is that the roof has batt insulation in it as well. Just like the walls, there is also a layer of foam above the ceiling panels. There are aluminum ceiling joists that the ceiling is attached to, and there are also aluminum roof rafters that the roof decking is attached to. Either BriteTek or fiberglass is then installed.

The Tiffin uses a completely different roof system. There are ceiling joists, but no roof rafters. The roof system is a huge hunk of styrofoam. That huge block of foam has channels to run wiring, and also has the HVAC ducting. As best I can tell that is the whole roof. There is no structure above the ceiling joists as best I can tell. It is then covered with a relatively thin section of fiberglass that rolls over the edge and meets the wall section. That styrofoam is a pretty good thermal insulator but I don't think it does much for sound. I have heard a number of Tiffin owners mention that their coach can get pretty noisy in the rain. I can tell you that my Newmar is extremely quiet in all respects. The dual pane windows help with the noise factor as well.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allegro, newmar, tiffin, vent, ventana