Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2019, 08:15 PM   #1

Tiffin & Newmar vs Holiday Rambler

Been looking to buy a slightly used either Tiffin or Newmar. Looking at the 35’ or so length. I went on RV Trader and looked at 2018 Holiday Ramblers that are about 38’. They’re in my price range of around $150,000 so I’m curious or course about their quality.

I’m interested in opinions regarding the interior quality, but also the chassis. Do these have the Freightliner chassis that allows for the slide through storage shelf? Or is the chassis an inferior product. I realize that they are a lower end to the Monaco but what all is sacrificed in these 38’ Holiday Ramblers?

Thanks all !
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2019, 08:18 PM   #2

Haven't owned any of them but I can tell you that I was at an RV show and asked a mechanic what he would buy, he said Holiday Rambler. FWIW.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:25 PM   #3

Location: Land of high fuel prices and lousy roads; Kalifornia
Tiffin. Gorgeous paint jobs in limited colors. Engines that are underpowered for their chassis size.
Newmar (now Winnebago). Better insulation. Nice overall design and build.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:11 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
I've owned two Newmars and currently a HR (all DPs), but older than what you are looking at. Based on a comparison I would rate them pretty well equally for fit finish etc. Might be a slight edge for Newmar because they did have better hinges on the overhead storage.
But all my opinions are based on models from 2003 to 2008.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #5

Tiffin & Newmar vs Holiday Rambler

After 2012 or 2013 Monaco (Holiday Rambler) merged with Fleetwood (REV Group). Not sure about the DPs but gas HR coaches are same as Bounder and Flair. All customer service is now through Fleetwood and warranty through the Fleetwood authorized repair centers many of which are Camping World or the Fleetwood factory service center in Decatur Indiana. I had a 2016 HR Admiral for 16 mos. The majority of that time it was in the shop while I had to deal with REV Group warranty/ customer service and CW. It was a nightmare. I finally got rid of it and got my current Tiffin and the experience has been just the opposite. And the Tiffin quality can’t even be compared with the HR/Fleetwood I had. (Prior to 2009 it was a different story. I had a 2005 gas Bounder and a 2008 HR Endeavor DP. My father had a 2002 Southwind gas coach. All three were great RVs with no problems.) I did look strongly at Newmar this time but didn’t find the floor plan we preferred so went with the Tiffin. There are some minor things that need correcting but overall very happy so far.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:11 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
The newest Monaco/HR are nothing like those with that name...pre 2010. The REV group is trying to use the past good reputation to help their sales. I’m not even sure the new HR Navigator is a DP.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:30 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
I saved money once on something other than a Tiffin or a Newmar, only to realize when i had to dump the POS that i didn't save money. The answer to most questions on which rig to buy usually ends with Newmar or Tiffin. Consider Newmar recent acquisition. I couldnt be happier with my Tiffin.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:04 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
Holiday Rambler

That 2018 HR is the same as Fleetwood Discovery . No where near the quality of Tiffin or Newmar
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
I've owned two Newmars and currently a HR (all DPs), but older than what you are looking at. Based on a comparison I would rate them pretty well equally for fit finish etc. Might be a slight edge for Newmar because they did have better hinges on the overhead storage.
But all my opinions are based on models from 2003 to 2008.

Chris
I agree 100 percent Chris
Spot on.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:14 PM   #10

Don’t think the HR is even in the same ballpark as Tiffin or Newmar.
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:25 PM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
Thankfully no bone in this dawg fight...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:29 PM   #12

Thanks all for you contributions. Exactly the information I was asking for. As always, you get what you pay for.

Tags
holiday rambler, newmar, tiffin