Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #1

Tiffin Hydraulic Leak

Anyone had hydraulic leaks on the ground under the hydraulic power unit. My new 2013 34 RED began to leak fluid not long after we began to use it. One jack has stopped extending, but everything else still works. Any feedback appreciated. Will be headed to Tiffin next week for warranty work.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaig99 View Post
Anyone had hydraulic leaks on the ground under the hydraulic power unit. My new 2013 34 RED began to leak fluid not long after we began to use it. One jack has stopped extending, but everything else still works. Any feedback appreciated. Will be headed to Tiffin next week for warranty work.
I assume that the warranty work will include the jack issue. If one jack is not working and you have a leak I am betting that you have a leak going to that jack.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
If by chance it is not under warranty and they want to charge you for the repair I suggest taking it to a hydraulic shop. Just had one of my jacks that was leaking repaired for $226. Dealer wanted $2000 to repair it.

Dave
Old 09-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #4

Contact Don Boyd at Tiffin. Ph: 800-283-3922 Ext 3290. Email: don.boyd@tiffinmotorhomes.com
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:53 AM   #5

Could be a damaged O-ring in one of the solenoids in the fluid manifold. Just had a 2012 Tiffin in 2 weeks ago for a constant leak right underneath the hydraulic compartment along with erratic slide and leveler operation (fluid was low after leaking so much). I found the leak location, pulled the solenoid out and sure enough both the main and square shaped backup O-rings were damaged (almost cut in half) during installation. Called Tiffin and they sent a new set quickly.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies on the hydraulic leak. Ill post what is found. The oring sounds most likely based on where the drip is located. I added about 1/2 quart of fluid and unit is not leaking at the moment but the one jack will not extend. Later and thanks.
jhaig99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #7

Well. Had to leave MH at Tiffin. Found two loose valves and one loose bolt on hydraulic unit, but major issue was due to hydraulic leak from the front two jacks. They are to be replaced. Hope to pick up MH in about a week.
jhaig99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaig99 View Post
Well.. got my report back from Tiffin. My original two front jacks had pin hole leaks in the welding and most of the hydraulic fluid had leaked out. Jacks were replaced under warranty. Small leaks in main hydraulic system were caused by loose connections and these were made tight. DW and I will be trying it out soon. Worked great before we left Tiffin.

Wonderful experience at the Tiffin campground. My punchlist was fully completed and all under warranty as expected. New shower door, steps wiring corrected and new step motor installed, replaced bad mirror switch and gave the coach a good going over. Very pleased at this time.

Tags
leak, tiffin