Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2014, 05:59 PM   #1

Tiffin or Entegra?

Im in the market for a 42' DP. I live about two hours from the Tiffin plant in Red Bay. The nearest Entegra Dealer is almost 6 hours. Advice as we are stuck on which one to go with. Entegra and Tiffin layouts are similar. Buy the Entegra with no nearby dealer support or the Tiffin I can have back to the factory quickly?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #2

living close to the manufacturer with a good service track record is huge in my book... I mean huge!
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #3

Tuff choice but I guess it is nice to get to make these kind of choices. If Tiffin makes a coach that really stands out for me I would go with them. Reason being factory repairs are normally done correctly. My 40 years of RVing has taught me that Dealers do the worst at repairs of any place you can take an RV. If you take coach to factory the repairs are done quick vs. a dealer letting the coach set for weeks and then tell you the wrong part came in. In the mean time someone damages your coach and the dealer will claim they did not do it, must have been that way when you brought it in.

Good luck with your fun choice.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:37 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Both are well regarded. Although the layouts are similar which one do you really prefer? Is it a big preference?

I would go with the closer unit unless the price point between them was substantial or Entegra as your preference for layout..
Old 05-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #5

I've owned both and in my opinion there is no comparison. The Entegra is hands down the best mh. They are better built, better insulated, and much quieter on the road. Having said that none of them are trouble free, but even though I also lived within two hours of Tiffin I got tired of spending half my time in Red Bay.
Certainly, the final decision is up to you, but I certainly wouldn't rule out the Entegra without driving one and if possible sit in one in a heavy rain and see how quiet they are.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:50 PM   #6

Your choice is between Tiffin's marginal quality but a commitment (as long as Bob is alive) to fix the problems. And Entegra which has unknown long-term quality but what appears to be some problems from the get-go and what also seems to be a commitment to solve them.

Personally I would probably lean towards Entegra and hope for the best but if you are that close to Red Bay and don't mind spending time there you might have a better support network.

Good luck.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
I live within 1 hour of the Tiffin factory and I just traded my 2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus for a new 2014 Mountain Aire. After having the Tiffin Coach for 11 days I took it to the Tiffin Factory and i was not able to pick it up for 7 weeks although it was there just to repair things that should have been done correctly when it was built. When I asked one of the supervisors at the factory a question he told me that I needed to read the owners manual and another executive did not tell me and my wife that the floor plan we really wanted was going to be made 5 weeks after we decided on the one we got. Also when I found out that quite a few Tiffin owners stated that they would never own another Tiffin I thought maybe I needed to go to another brand.
freen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #8

What dealer did you trade your bus to? May be interested.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:10 PM   #9

We have a 2014 tiffin 45lp we have had 3 punch list items they have been repaired . The coach drives like a dream (air leveling system is huge) no wind noise . We were between entegra and tiffin , wife liked tiffin floor plan better I liked the ride and drive of the tiffin better as well as some build features
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
It has already been sold
freen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
We have a 2014 tiffin 45lp we have had 3 punch list items they have been repaired . The coach drives like a dream (air leveling system is huge) no wind noise . We were between entegra and tiffin , wife liked tiffin floor plan better I liked the ride and drive of the tiffin better as well as some build features
PowerGlide chassis? Glad to hear you like your coach.

I'm looking at the Allegro Bus 40SP, Phaeton 42LH,Phaeton 40QBH. In the Entegra we like the 42RBQ and 42DEQ.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:14 PM   #12

ENTEGRA, FOR SURE, been there did Tiffin
Old 05-14-2014, 06:28 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Don't forget the 2 year warranty that you get with the Entegra. For me that was huge!

Dave
Old 05-14-2014, 06:28 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
Your choice is between Tiffin's marginal quality but a commitment (as long as Bob is alive) to fix the problems. And Entegra which has unknown long-term quality but what appears to be some problems from the get-go and what also seems to be a commitment to solve them.

Personally I would probably lean towards Entegra and hope for the best but if you are that close to Red Bay and don't mind spending time there you might have a better support network.

Good luck.
Calling Entegra an unknown for Long-Term quality is way off the mark. They are owned by Jayco who has been building RV's for over 30 years and has an excellent reputation, and they are based on the Travel Supreme which also had a an excellent reputation but fell on hard times during the great recession. (Ask any travel Supreme owner, they love their coaches). And, Entegras come with a 2-year warranty vs. 1 year with everybody else. Entegra's' customer service is as good or better than anybody's. An Entegra takes second place to nobody on the issue of manufacturer reliability.

One the other hand, being two hours from the factory would be a huge advantage, except for the fact that Tiffen factory service is first-come first served and I have heard of people spending weeks at Red Bay just waiting to get in the door. By contrast, I will be going to the Entegra factory next month for a scheduled appointment (minor assorted repairs and adjustments) and I expect them to take me at 7AM on the morning of my appointment.

Tough choice. Which one do you think you will enjoy living in more?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin