Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to markhansen
Tiffin or Newmar

I'm in the market for a pre-owned class A. I have narrowed it down to a 2007 Allegro 34TGA and 2008 Newmar Bay Star 3302. Both are within the same price. The Allegro has a 3 slides, workhorse and 12K miles, one owner. The Newmar is Ford V-10 , full body paint, 2 slides, 20K miles and 3 owners. I'm leaning towards to Tiffin but could use some professional advice or recommendations.

markhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'll let those with direct experience chime in on this but you're deciding between two very nice coaches.

Best of luck.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
That 2008 must not be so great . Three owners in 4 years I would scratch my head and think about that.
fayjim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by fayjim2 View Post
That 2008 must not be so great . Three owners in 4 years I would scratch my head and think about that.
Depends. Maybe it was purchased (multiple times) as a "starter coach" and the owners were trading up for a bigger unit each time. That's a fairly small Class A.

2008 King Aire 4562, Spartan K3(GT) w/ Cummins ISX, Motosat HD-SL5 w/ SWM-8, Multiswitch, HR34 Genie
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8 Hemi w/ Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and baseplate, SMI Air Force One brake
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I have a Newmar that we are exceptionally happy with. I know Tiffin builds quality coaches and stands behind them too. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Take the one whose floorplan best suits your needs.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910
ISC on a Spartan
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
I am a Newmar guy also but you can't go wrong with Tiffin it was a coin toss for me both are great coaches I thing the Ford is a better than workhorse I think ford is the only one making gas rv s now
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It appears you are comparing apples to apples... What a nice change of pace!

Floor plan, floor plan, floor plan.

Its similar to buying a house, except with a motorhome you can always change location!

If floor plan isn't enough to choose with, I'd take both on a 10-20+ mile test drive and see if that helps make the decision. They should both be about the same but there might be minor differences that could make or break a deal.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my Tiffin and would buy another one, but its not the only apple on the tree.

Have fun!
2011 Allegro 35QBA
Kar Kaddy KK460SS
2007.5 GMC, LMM D/A, Crew Cab, Z71 4x4, Long Box
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
You also may want to check on authorized repair locations for Tiffin and Newmar in your area....if you haven't already done so. Not all dealerships can/will work on all makes. I had a 30' class A with a Ford V-10. It worked pretty hard going up the hills in the West but it seemed like a pretty tough motor. Bought it new in 2005 and just traded it in on a diesel pusher (Newmar). Good luck with your choice!
Sofakleez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
I would definitely find out why 3 owners before buying. Talk to at least one of the previous owners. If the dealer will not contact one of the previous owners for you I would leave it alone.
chastho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
Ditto on 3 owners in 4 years.
Both chassis' should be easily servicable (as easy as a Class A coach service can be, many shops take one look & send you packing, so you have to learn where to go for service, and there is lots of advice here to get you pointed in the right direction).
Might want to check if the Workhorse rig is in the Brake Recall, and if the recall work has been done & cleared. If its in the recall & brakes not fixed, purchase should be contingent on clearing recall.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:37 AM   #11
Many Tiffins of that vintage had wet bay rot issues and roof radius leaks. I don't know if it applies to the model you are looking at, but you should look into that .... do a search on tiffin wet bay and roof radius and see what you find
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #12
Winnebago Owners Club
Both of your choices are included in our own "short list", along with the Monaco Monarch 33SFS, if we decide to stay with gas power. As far as issues with the Tiffin, just call the factory and talk to them. The issues mentioned above I believe were primarily with the diesel coaches, but you should confirm for yourself. I would lean toward the 8.1 V8 power, as it seems to develop its torque sooner (seat of the pants feel), but either seems to work fine for a whole lot of folks. Either coach would work well. That 3-owner thing would really bug me though (why?).
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
Tiffin builds a nice coach, not Quality and will stand behind them and fix all issues.
2016 Entegra Cornerstone
Lault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #14
We bought our first MH in March and also had narrowed down our search to tiffin & newmar. We decided on the Tiffin and are thrilled with our choice, but it was a tough choice. Both great quality coaches. The 3 owners would make me back off from that particular unit.

ncylee is offline   Reply With Quote

newmar, tiffin