Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2016, 12:01 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrocker View Post

Tiffin has the beefier chassis, and a touch more "fluff" (recessed stovetop, etc.). And the windows on either end of the main slide really open up the interior. Having done the pop up and hybrid for close to 20 years now, fluff doesn't draw our attention.
My wife doesn't consider the recessed stove, and resultant flat surface and extra working space, to be "fluff", no siree Bob. It makes her job easier, there's nothing superficial about that. Now with the Newmar Canyon Star you get the flat surface. And a beefier chassis too.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2016, 12:06 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
Yep, cocksure after spending over 300 grand and the dealer and RB had it more time than I did in 14 months. See some of my other posts about the problems and build quality of the Tiffin. Sure, I obviously got a lemon, but comparing it to the Newmar in components and QC makes me damned cocksure.
Cocksure and in error; you've evidently no experience with the modern 32SA, the rig in question, but feel qualified to make ex cathedra statements about it anyway.

Lest I come across as a fanboy I'll tell you this; I took the rig, a month old, to the dealer today with a punch list of things to be fixed. Chief among them a balky slide, a non working light fixture switch, a loose piece of veneer, a non working side camera and a loose gasket on the driver's door.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:23 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrocker View Post
That's actually very good to hear. Especially the service side of it.

We've been out there several times in the last few months. I only hope they are still selling Newmar when we get ready to buy. They haven't brought any new ones in for a while (at least a year?). Almost looks like they're getting out of the class A business.
I had asked the owner about that. When i bought mine there were only two 3401s available. He said that they wanted to clear out their inventory before the 2017s arrived.
2008 Ducati S4RS Tricolore (#83/400)
buffgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:32 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
My wife doesn't consider the recessed stove, and resultant flat surface and extra working space, to be "fluff", no siree Bob. It makes her job easier, there's nothing superficial about that. Now with the Newmar Canyon Star you get the flat surface. And a beefier chassis too.
As I mentioned before, the 22K chassis is more than adequate for my purpose (and 500 lbs lighter that the 24). If you are carrying enough to warrant the 24, that would definitely be a consideration though.

I agree on the recessed stovetop - I wish mine was! It wasn't enough of a negative though to offset the full wall slide and all the extra space it has for only an additional 5" in length. The other thing that pushed me over was the bathroom with the separate shower setup! That's just my preference though and doesn't make it better - just what I wanted.
2008 Ducati S4RS Tricolore (#83/400)
buffgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:18 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffgunner View Post
.... That's just my preference though and doesn't make it better - just what I wanted.
Yes, preference is unassailable. ;-) Very little about this hobby is objective, just as with high fidelity sound. (I prefer tubes over solid state myself.)
Old 07-11-2016, 04:53 PM   #48

Quote:
Cocksure and in error; you've evidently no experience with the modern 32SA, the rig in question, but feel qualified to make ex cathedra statements about it anyway.

Lest I come across as a fanboy I'll tell you this; I took the rig, a month old, to the dealer today with a punch list of things to be fixed. Chief among them a balky slide, a non working light fixture switch, a loose piece of veneer, a non working side camera and a loose gasket on the driver's door.
I had a 16 Tiffin 34 PA and in the first week the furnace went out, hydraulic line busted every p-trap leaked, front door leaked like it was wide open not to mention all the other smaller issues. The insulation in the Tiffins is just none existent. Our ACs never stop running and you could hear everything outside. I'm fully qualified to make this statement.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:47 AM   #49

Quote:

I agree, one person's fluff is another's necessity. I like the recessed stove top for additional working surface, and really, it just looks better. But, for me, it's a "nice to have". And since I do all the cooking on our trips (she's on vacation), her input doesn't count. (hope she didn't hear that )
Old 07-16-2016, 03:37 PM   #50

...well, another extremely satisfied Newmar owner here. We full-timed in it for 8 years and traveled constantly, including Alaska and gravel roads while boondocking. It was a very solid motorhome with no dust issues on dusty roads. It was quiet inside with excellent insulation.

If you take a factory tour you'd see that all models are built on the same line. They're all made by conscientious workers. They build according to the orders coming in. They don't just build the higher models on the line one day. They're mixed up. If something isn't done right later down the line it goes back to the same work crew to do properly.

We never returned to our selling dealer and never returned to the factory for issues. There weren't any. Any Newmar dealer will take you in as you travel.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:28 PM   #51

We looked at them both, plus a bunch of others. The Tiffin won for us. I like the way the the wiring is done-very neat and orderly, not just thrown in behind a wall. The storage capacity is second to none. The 32SA floorplan was ideal for us as well. We are not sorry. Ours is a 2015 and we have almost 10K miles on it. There were two very minor issues and Tiffin immediately send the parts to correct them.

It all boils down to what floor plan you like best. The chassis are essentially the same, so it's the box on top that will tickle your fancy. Our last motorhome was a 2001 National Tropical. We still like that coach and would have bought another if they were still in business. For us, the Tiffin comes in a close second.

Tags
newmar, tiffin