Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2016, 05:27 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All of my 110v outlets in my Newmar are flush mounted, with the one exception of the the GFCI outlet in the bathroom which is box mounted. Even the receptacles in the large slide are flush mounted.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 06:19 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
All of my 110v outlets in my Newmar are flush mounted, with the one exception of the the GFCI outlet in the bathroom which is box mounted. Even the receptacles in the large slide are flush mounted.
jt
We are really getting side tracked with irrelevant nuances, but at least in my 2015 Tiffin gasser, every outlet is flush mounted as shown in my prior post (that was the GFCI in the head, fixed outside wall)......

Here is another one on my living room / driver's side slide.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	132650  
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:42 PM   #31

The Newmar 3401 is on a 22,000 pound chassis, the Tiffin 32SA, though shorter, is on a 24,000 pound chassis and has considerably more payload than the Newmar; indeed, the 32SA's CCC exceeds the 3401's NCC. That's a big deal, and the main reason we recently bought a 32SA rather than a 3401, the 3401 being the other bus we were considering.
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:05 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Although we did not buy our coach new, I spent 3 years reading everything I could, going to many, many dealerships and finally boiling it all down to what we wanted in rig. Decision; rear engine diesel pusher. Then; filter through the manufacturers.
Last; find the THE one. Looked at MANY new rigs but could not pass up the deal on our 2010 Allegro Red 38QBA. Upon acquisition, we drove it immediately almost 900 miles with that broken up with CG overnight stops in two different states. AND THAT was before we could load it with all of our "stuff" from our 32' TT. We are well aware of the total lack of quality control currently in place by the RV Manufacturers, but we felt the Tiffin product was the way to go and we have not looked back and I doubt if we ever will. (Our rig is posted in Show Your New Rig forum under IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME COMING).

Bottom Line, I truly believe if you have done your due diligence, you will KNOW YOUR coach when you see it, regardless of brand.
HD Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
The Newmar 3401 is on a 22,000 pound chassis, the Tiffin 32SA, though shorter, is on a 24,000 pound chassis and has considerably more payload than the Newmar; indeed, the 32SA's CCC exceeds the 3401's NCC. That's a big deal, and the main reason we recently bought a 32SA rather than a 3401, the 3401 being the other bus we were considering.
I think the Tiffin is also a great coach, but I bought a Bay star 3401. The payload doesn't seem to be an issue for me - I'm well under gross with everything I have loaded and full fuel and water. The two main reasons I went with the Newmar are floor plan, and the dealer here is better than the Tiffin dealer. I was looking at new gas coaches under 35'

I don't think it actually means anything, but I was in a KOA last week and met two couples in Tiffins - both were on their way to Red Bay to get major warranty work done. One had a wall installed improperly and needed carpentry work to repair. The other had a massive air leak somewhere in the front and they said it was so loud they had to yell at highway speeds.

It was interesting, but not representative I expect. I'd buy a Tiffin if it had the features and floor plan I wanted.
buffgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:40 AM   #34

Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with either coach.

My wife and I have been looking at both extensively, as they have our preferred layout. In our eyes, the build quality is comparable, and many other aspects of the two make them equal, for us.

Tiffin has the beefier chassis, and a touch more "fluff" (recessed stovetop, etc.). And the windows on either end of the main slide really open up the interior. Having done the pop up and hybrid for close to 20 years now, fluff doesn't draw our attention.

Newmar has the rear window (as opposed to that worthless, shallow "wardrobe" on the Tiffin). And the full slide really opens up the floorspace and gives us more options for pooch jail. But, it seems (and may not be true) that Tiffin does better in the basement storage.

When it comes down to it, we aren't sure that the Tiffin provides anything worthy of the $20k premium over the Newmar.

As of this moment, the Baystar is the fit for us, but things could change come time to throw down the money.

And it could easily change if we are forced to purchase out of state. Oklahoma isn't exactly a hotbed of quality dealers...
jrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:27 AM   #35

I have actually made that shallow rear closet very useful for all of about $50.

You can see I boxed it out, and split it into 2 sections. I now have 4 shelves on the one side that is great for holding shoes, while on the other I now have a bar oriented correctly to hang clothes that we use for jackets......
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	134
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	132697  
Old 07-11-2016, 07:30 AM   #36

Here is another view that shows the hanging bar better.......

Hopefully this will give others some ideas on how they can better use this space.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	141
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	132698  
Old 07-11-2016, 09:16 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrocker View Post
...And it could easily change if we are forced to purchase out of state. Oklahoma isn't exactly a hotbed of quality dealers...
I bought my 3401 from Leisure Time RV in OKC. The atmosphere was great and our salesperson, Paula, was fantastic. Sales are one thing, but service is another. They have provided me the best service I could have expected anywhere. I had it in to do some adjustments, repair a couple of minor issues, and hook up the tow system for my Jeep. When I picked it up, EVERYTHING I listed was done perfectly! The service guys went over it all, and the coach and my Jeep were both freshly washed. I highly recommend them.
buffgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:31 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffgunner View Post
I bought my 3401 from Leisure Time RV in OKC. The atmosphere was great and our salesperson, Paula, was fantastic. Sales are one thing, but service is another. They have provided me the best service I could have expected anywhere. I had it in to do some adjustments, repair a couple of minor issues, and hook up the tow system for my Jeep. When I picked it up, EVERYTHING I listed was done perfectly! The service guys went over it all, and the coach and my Jeep were both freshly washed. I highly recommend them.
That's actually very good to hear. Especially the service side of it.

We've been out there several times in the last few months. I only hope they are still selling Newmar when we get ready to buy. They haven't brought any new ones in for a while (at least a year?). Almost looks like they're getting out of the class A business.
jrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:28 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Everything considered- go with the Newmar. They have their own slide system which has been very reliable. Tiffins, Winnies, and others are now using Schwintek slides and have a very poor track record. In the long run you'd fork out a lot of money and sacrifice a lot of camping time having them worked on. I was next to a guy with an Itasca Suncruiser this weekend (2014) who has had to have slide motors replaced twice.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:38 AM   #40
dms

Ditto on choosing the Newmar, hands down better by far. Had both and no comparison on components and build quality. Tiffin insulation is less than adequate on a hot day. In 92 degree weather, all three AC's ran continuosly and the sound level is like 3 jet engines. The Tiffin front cap is NOT insulated and the firewall isn't either. Even had complaints from CG neighbors about the noise.

Newmar is fully insulated and the AC's cycle normally at 90+ degrees and are so quiet you have to listen carefully to hear them. In a hard rain, the Tiffin roof noise will wake you up, not the Newmar.

Had a new 2014 Phaeton and sold it, then bought a Newmar. No comparison.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
Ditto on choosing the Newmar, hands down better by far. Had both and no comparison on components and build quality. Tiffin insulation is less than adequate on a hot day. In 92 degree weather, all three AC's ran continuosly and the sound level is like 3 jet engines.
Your cock-sure, exaggerated blanket statements are unreasonable, run counter to my experience and make me leery of anything you have to say.

We recently spent a week at Fort Mcallister park near Savannah in our new 32SA. The weather was in the 90s and being on a 30 amp circuit we ran only one air conditioner and it did fine. And it wasn't noisy.

Where do you come up with this business?
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:59 AM   #42
dms

Yep, cocksure after spending over 300 grand and the dealer and RB had it more time than I did in 14 months. See some of my other posts about the problems and build quality of the Tiffin. Sure, I obviously got a lemon, but comparing it to the Newmar in components and QC makes me damned cocksure. By the way, remove an interior cabinet panel and report back to us as to how much insulation you see inside the front cap.

Not complaining, as my problems are solved.
dms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, tiffin