Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2016, 11:21 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tiffin or Newmar?

We're looking at 2016 Tiffin Allegro 32SA or a Newmar Bay Star 3401.

Any thoughts?

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 11:37 AM   #2

I would go with the Newmar, but then of course I'm biased. We were in the same boat as you when we narrowed it down to the Tiffin or Newmar. At the time the big deal for me was the Tiffin's all had 22.5 tires, and the Baystars were on the 19.5 tires. That is one of the reasons we ended up buying the Newmar Canyon Star. Now the Baystars come with the 22.5 tires. Also the Newmar's at the time had more cargo carrying capacity than the Tiffin's.

It really boiled down to the Tiffin dealer we were working with started playing games and we walked off the lot. I then started looking closer at the Newmars, and found their quality to be a little better and some nicer amenities. That's when we saw we could get the Canyon Star for a few thousand more and it had the 22.5 tires. The Tiffin's are really nice MH's and like said we were close to signing papers when the games began.

We have been really happy with ours, we have had only a few minor adjustments needed, both which were done while we waited for the MH and took it home the same day. They also showed me how to do the adjustments myself if ever needed again, which it hasn't. I like the paint better on the Newmars, as it seem to keep it's shine a little better. You can't go wrong with either one but the Newmar is just a notch better in quality in my opinion.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:27 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I think either of those manufacturers are comparable, and both have been (and still are) on my short list. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either.

Find the floorplan that works the best for you, and try to make/find a deal for your first preference.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:55 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Both floor plans are very similar. Tiffin uses a split bath and is on a 24000 lb chassis. Newmar uses the 22000 lb with an 8" shorter wheelbase. The Newmar has a full wall slide which gives more bedroom and wardrobe space.

We need to see if any price breaks can be had.

There is also the brite trek vs fiberglass roof question.

It may come down to a coin toss or what DW wants.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:14 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
One thing that was important to us was access to everything without the slides being out.
Newmar has a good reputation but I don't know about access while driving without slides being deployed.
Another big factor in the decision is the dealer reputation for service. We like our Tiffin but I would hate to have to depend on the Camping World where we bought it for service.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:32 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The Bay Star is the low end of the Newmar line and several notches below the Tiffin Allegro series. Many of the upscale offerings available on the Tiffin diesel coaches are available on the Allegro line as well.

Tiffin uses heavier and longer floor plans than the other gas motorhome makers. Why? You get a better handling and riding unit with the capacity to hall your stuff. The distance between the rear wheels and the rear of the motorhome will give you a good idea how it will ride and handle. The shorter that distance is, the better.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:46 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin we have looked generally have very small and very few windows if that is important.
I also would give the edge to Newmar in quality.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #8
dms

My experience, as an experienced RV'er who ordered a new Phaeton in 2014: So many issues, big and small, that I hated using it. Spent all of my time either worrying during a trip, or working on it after a trip. Got tired of returns to dealer, return to Red Bay, waiting for parts, and on and on. All of which could have been avoided with a little QC, which was non-existent on our coach.

Kept it 14 months and sold it. Bought a Newmar and expected issues but amazingly, NOTHING has gone wrong. Excellent QC, Excellent fit and finish. Had it now 7 months and 6,000 miles and it is wonderful. We're actually enjoying traveling again.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:55 PM   #9

Our 2015 31SA on the 24k chassis (upgrade from the standard 31SA 22k with 22.5" wheels, to the 32SA chassis) is our first RV. We ordered in Dec. 2014, and took delivery Mar. 2015. We have about 11,000 miles and about 175 nights on the road so far, and we are very happy with our choice and have yet to see anything else that makes us 2nd guess our decision, new or used, gas or diesel. Has it been perfect, no, but our issues have been easily managed.

We were a bit hesitant on the split bath, but have found it works very well. More than enough storage (we have a whopping 3500# CCC) even for trips of a month or more for the 2 of us.

Reasonable with the slides closed, and only the drawers in the bedroom are not accessible closed up.

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #10

If you are interested in the Tiffin I would suggest you join the Tiffin RV Network and check out their forums. You'll find plenty of info and it may help you in your decision.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:17 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
My experience, as an experienced RV'er who ordered a new Phaeton in 2014: So many issues, big and small, that I hated using it. Spent all of my time either worrying during a trip, or working on it after a trip. Got tired of returns to dealer, return to Red Bay, waiting for parts, and on and on. All of which could have been avoided with a little QC, which was non-existent on our coach.

Kept it 14 months and sold it. Bought a Newmar and expected issues but amazingly, NOTHING has gone wrong. Excellent QC, Excellent fit and finish. Had it now 7 months and 6,000 miles and it is wonderful. We're actually enjoying traveling again.
I just have to say that is so refreshing to hear!!!!!
I realize its hard to start a thread about problems you don't have....
Old 07-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #12

tiffin needs to make a coach under 30 feet imho.
lilchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:00 AM   #13

we looked at those two very coaches. We bought the Tiffin. 22.5" wheels, felt the quality was actually slightly better, all the basement doors are side-hinged and very substantial, and the TV was slightly better positioned....I also was a little leery of a full-wall slide, though it did give a roomier feel in the Newmar to some degree.

Newmar has many options that are really annoying to have to add (heated mirrors?) that are standard on the Tiffin and the Tiffin comes on a 24K chassis - or you can get the smaller 32 SA on the 24K chassis as an option if you don't want the extra foot in length and a king-sized bed.

Little things can sometimes mean a lot. The Newmar was nice. We just thought the Tiffin was nicer and price points were very close.

get what what your heart desires. You can't go far wrong with either. Don't be afraid to travel a bit for a better dealer if you're put-off.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:11 AM   #14

We bought a 16 Allegro 34 PA but then traded up to a Newmar Dutch Star 4018. The biggest difference between Newmar and Tiffin is insulation. Newmar crushes Tiffin in this category so if you want to do much winter camping with little effort go Newmar. Also, if you don't want to hear all your neighbors and highway sounds go with Newmar. I like the Allegro more than the Baystar. Baystars just seemed to have a cheaper feel on the inside plus the it seemed to have more options. Guess it just depends on how much the extra insulation is worth it to you. We did have a lot of issues with our Tiffin but nothing to major.
quentinc40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, tiffin