Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2018, 08:33 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Smile Tiffin or Newmar and Newby Questions

Hello. I have been researching Class A DP MHs for about 1 year and am nearly ready to buy one. I know this topic is frequently discussed on this site, but thought I would create a new thread for the conversation. I have learned a lot from the posts on this forum.

I am considering 4 MHs in 2 price categories. 1st category is Tiffin Phaeton 40 IH or Newmar Ventana 4002 or 4037. 2nd price category is Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 IP or Newmar Dutch Star 4002 or 4018. All are rear bath.

My questions are how important is the tag axle and the comfort drive on the Newmars? How important are the side radiators on the Bus and the DS? Are the Newmar's side wall and roof construction really better (sound, insulation, stud spacing, and outer fiberglass shell)?

Any important quality or other issues to consider?

Part of my problem is that I like the interior styling and the tag axle and comfort steer of the Newmars, but the dealer and service center (CW north of Richmond, VA) near me for the Newmars is very poorly rated. I have a local Tiffin dealer and another within 1-hour who are both highly rated for sales and service. How much should I allow this to drive m decision?

I am also considering ordering new (2019) or buying lightly used (2016 or later). Any thoughts on new vs. used? Thanks for any and all guidance.
wkm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2018, 08:54 PM   #2

I have not ever driven a Newmar, but our Allegro Bus drives like a dream. I can easily drive one handed right through Atlanta if I liked [but don't, of course]. We had a 34 foot Country Coach Allure DP that was always needing steering correction, but the Tiffin is solid and stays where you put it. I don't have a tag, but semis don't affect me at all when they pass, and I like the 38'9" coach length with no tag for CG handling.

Tiffin is extremely good for warranty issues, technical info when needed, etc. We have had almost nothing to really fix in the 2 3/4 years of ownership [about 18,000 miles]- just a few minor things, shade motors mostly, which are not made by Tiffin anyway. We found that a number of items that were option costs on the Newmar were standard on the Allegro Bus [safe, shower seat, to name a couple].

If you have a decent service option fairly close to you, I don't think you could go wrong with Tiffin. You might want to take an extended test drive with a Newmar and a Tiffin to see what you yourself think of the comfort drive. The forum responders will very likely drumbeat to like what they have - kinda like me, right?
Old 11-19-2018, 09:34 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
The only way you'll know how important Comfort Drive is would be to drive a Newmar equipped with it. While a Tag axle does take up some storage room. I have never been that loaded, that I needed more room. On the plus side the Tag is more stability in windy conditions, and passing and being passed by semis. It also gives you more weight carrying capacity and two more tires to help with braking. Especially the panic stop.

Side radiator makes engine work and maintenance easier.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:20 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Just for comparison, the Phaeton 40IH and the Allegro Bus 40IP are the exact same floor plan. The chassis are basically the same, with the exception of the side radiator and heavier front axle rating on the Bus. They both have the raised rail chassis with the taller storage bays, independent front suspension, and two stage compression brake engine. The Bus does have the 450hp standard, but it's also heavier than the Phaeton. I think the Bus has slightly larger tires 3.15 vs 2.95 on the Phaeton. There are some nicer amenities on the Bus at a higher price range. The side radiator is good for maintenance, but it also adds another complexity with the driveshaft and gearbox for the side radiator, plus loss of a storage compartment. I found that the 40IH drives like a dream compared to our Freightliner Allegro RED.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:07 AM   #5

I don't think you can go wrong w any of your choices.
I'm a fan of buy used but obviously there are others that swear by ordering new... and that's OK it puts more good used units on the market.
I am impressed and VERY pleased w Comfort Drive... it's not just a sales gimmick but hard to evaluate in a test drive. I feel much more relaxed after a days run and notice it most when conditions are at their worst.
I've never owned a tag but realize they also have plusses and minuses.
If you find one of these that "speaks" to you and you favor I wouldn't hesitate. We do love our Ventana but I'm sure we would appreciate the addnl features of a DS even more.
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:14 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We own a 2016 Newmar Dutchstar 4018. Bought it new and have never been back to a Newmar dealer. The quality of the "house" portion is very good. I had some minor issues that I took care of myself. I learned that it is more important to have a good Freightliner (or Spartan) facility close by.
I don't do any of my own chassis work - therefor the coach goes in at least once a year for oil change, lube etc.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:30 AM   #7

One feature that Newmar has that we like very much (we are looking at the Canyon Star vs. Open Road) is the escape door. If you haven’t seen this, seek out a 2019 Newmar with the option and look at it vs. crawling out a window. One of the Newmar factory representatives at the Hershey show told us some people use the door to also help in loading the coach.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:09 PM   #8

Zephyr

In my hmble opinion, you cannot go wrong with a TIFFIN built motorhome.
I have a 2001 Tiffin Zephyr that I bought 1 year old in 2001. Love it. Went back to the factory one time after 6 years, had $3500 worth of work done, mostly cosmetic, and they charged me $650. Cannot say enough about Tiffin Service. If you like the Tiffin dealer, go with it. Trust the reviews.
Zephyrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree you cannot beat Tiffin's service commitment.

Our next coach will once again be a Tiffin
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:56 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for their helpful feedback and sharing their experiences. I plan to visit 3 dealerships tomorrow to look at all four coaches.

Any thoughts about side wall construction differences? And, should I be concerned with chassis service on the PowerGlide chassis that comes with the Tiffin?

Thanks again.

2019 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 IP (On Order)
wkm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:56 PM   #11

Think comfort steer is overrated as patent expired and no one else is jumping on equipping theirs with it. Besides all dp's are supposed to ride and handle fantastic.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Think comfort steer is overrated as patent expired and no one else is jumping on equipping theirs with it. Besides all dp's are supposed to ride and handle fantastic.
Ask someone that has CD how they feel.
I wouldn't put as much weight on the opinion of as one that doesn't have it... and likely has never driven with it.
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:21 PM   #13

No I have not experienced Comfort Steer. My gasser drives fine straight from the factory with no mods and I am told how wonderful DP’s ride and handle compared to mine. Having attended numerous seminars on this topic the ones who think it is great are the ones that have bought a Newmar. People continually rave about the positive driving characteristics of a diesel so why the need for another extra cost feature. Then I am told one must have a tag axle and side rad. I don’t expect my coach or any other more expensive coach to handle and drive like my BMW or Audi. Some think they should and drive them accordingly. Keep on dreaming
Old 11-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
The patent is not expired. The original exclusive deal with Newmar has expired, but Newmar made deals with Spartan and Freightliner to have exclusive rights to chassis from them.

Newell uses it, under the name EasiSteer. Comfort Drive is a Newmar trademark.

Tags
newmar, tiffin