Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #1

Tiffin Phaeton 40QKH or Fleetwood Discovery 42A

You are all really active on here, and the information is endless. Man, I really enjoy this site! With that said, our family of 6 is looking into Class A's. We are really sold on the Tiffin brand and all the service and reputation that comes with it. Their bunkhouse Phaeton has been the only rig on our list for a while now. Recently, I noticed after perusing on here that Fleetwood makes a rear bunkhouse room in their Discovery 42A. There are a couple of you, and you know who you are that have been talking this up! Yes, you CentILRVer and I really value your input. We are newbies and can state the obvious, single rear axle versus a tag means heavier and poorer fuel economy, longer rig means not every campground can accommodate. Can you give me your real world experience. As I know my salespeople are really just trying to push inventory, and I want honest nuts and bolts facts.

This forum is truly an invaluable asset, and I thank you for your responses immensely.
theinc06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you're in for some fun times ahead shopping for a new coach.

I'll let folks with direct experience chime in on the choice between the two but you've picked a couple of good ones to choose from. I guess if I were shopping I would lean toward Tiffin because of their styling and reputation for customer support but that's just me.

As for trade offs between a 40 and 42... you will probably find some places (especially in state and federal parks) where you won't fit either one... and a few where a 40 will fit but a 42 might not. But I don't think it would be a big consideration if it were me. Does the extra two feet come with a bath and a half? That WOULD be a big consideration for me.

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi and welcome to IRV2 -

IMHO, the difference in length between a 40 and 42 is rather trivial, especially in regard to parks.

My first coach was a 40

My current coach is a 42.

Now it's true there are places you can't go with a 42, but most of those aren't so kind to a 40

The difference between a 36 and a 40 is more important if you want to "fit in".

That said, there are other factors such as the better ride with a tag, improved cargo carrying capacity, etc.

Balance that against initial cost and such things as eight tires to replace rather than six and the trade offs multiply.

I've never owned either a Tiffin or Fleetwood product, but my gut feel is there may be a higher percentage of happy Tiffin owners than happy Fleetwood owners, not to say that all of us coach owners aren't happy.

I've also bought both old and new and I would encourage you to consider a late model used coach.

As I'm sure you know, depreciation on a new one is brutal.

Best regards in your search.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Among the brands that I've owned are Holiday Rambler, Cedar Creek, Southwind and now Tiffin Phaeton. If you asked me today which is my favorite I would quickly say the Phaeton but had you asked me the same question when I owned one the others the answer would have been the brand that I owned at that time.

As a former park operator I have seen almost every thing made. Most are great and some leave you scratching your head and wondering.

Choosing today has a little different aspect since we must assure ourselves the Mfg. will be there for future service problems. My advice is to buy the unit that serves your needs and then purchase an extended warranty that is well documented.

When I bought my Phaeton I had a 2 year Mfg. warranty and to that I added a 5 year extended package. In the early days I used the Mfg. warranty once to clear up some small items and have never used either warranty since. I'm lucky to some degree but my unit has been serviced properly and timely and has been well cared for from the beginning.

By some it might be said that I wasted the $5,000 or so paid for the extended warranty but to me the satisfaction of having it was worth the money.

Good luck on whatever you choose and happy traveling.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadeaux View Post
By some it might be said that I wasted the $5,000 or so paid for the extended warranty but to me the satisfaction of having it was worth the money.
I certainly wouldn't be one of those folks. We did the same thing and feel the same way.

We have used our EW quite a number of times and couldn't be happier with how it has all worked out. I've never really given a thought to whether or not I'm "coming out ahead" because it was all about the peace of mind all along.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Very interesting layout on that 42a, I'd need to do some real careful looking and measuring to see how they stuff a bath and a half AND a full second bedroom in a 43.5" rig.

IMHO that rig is seriously underpowered with an ISC.
(IMHO my 40', 33k lb rig is underpowered with an ISC....)
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
You might consider the drivers license requirements at 40 ft and longer.
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by theinc06 View Post
You are all really active on here, and the information is endless. Man, I really enjoy this site! With that said, our family of 6 is looking into Class A's. We are really sold on the Tiffin brand and all the service and reputation that comes with it. Their bunkhouse Phaeton has been the only rig on our list for a while now. Recently, I noticed after perusing on here that Fleetwood makes a rear bunkhouse room in their Discovery 42A. There are a couple of you, and you know who you are that have been talking this up! Yes, you CentILRVer and I really value your input. We are newbies and can state the obvious, single rear axle versus a tag means heavier and poorer fuel economy, longer rig means not every campground can accommodate. Can you give me your real world experience. As I know my salespeople are really just trying to push inventory, and I want honest nuts and bolts facts.

This forum is truly an invaluable asset, and I thank you for your responses immensely.

Hello and welcome,
Maybe I can offer some sort of input having just traded a 39 ft mh for a 43.6 ft coach. First the folks at Tiffin are great, the Phaeton is well appointed and handles well. Your needs outweigh the size. 40 ft is the same as 43 for cg needs. Select your park do the research and advise the management of your needs most parks will be extremely helpful. We have had only one tight spot. The tag offers so much more comfort when traveling the interstates and handling multiple 18 wheelers blowing past you at 75 mph. Big safety feature. The bath and a half is well engineered. This is a must just for dw and myself. Cannot imagine not having the half bath with a large family. Also the tag can be dumped when manuvering and dumps automatically when backing. Both rigs will have bugs to work out when purchased new. All makes are extremely complicated machines. Rule of thumb 10 hp for every foot of coach. IMHO your needs fall with the discovery. Best of luck and enjoy the ride!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinc06

My wife and I have been full time RVers for 6 years. We retired back in feb.'07, sold our house and moved into the Discovery to travel full time. Recently we traded for an Allergo Bus. You have to first look at how you intend to use the coach. If its for vacations, or just short uses. Then look at the design. This is my third coach in 15 years. There are some important features to consider. There's also several books out you need to buy for RV ratings on resale, and repair records. If your looking for a quality coach make sure it's not under powered. Make sure it has a hard roof, and plenty of storage. I have had my Bus to Tiffin in Redbay for few repairs, and was very please. Between the your two options, by my experience, the Tiffin is a winner every time. I wasn't very happy with my Discovery.
Ocletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:44 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Having just gone thru all of this just a few months ago I think I can be of some help. Without question I would recommend the Tiffin Phaeton. I spent a lot of time and effort researching what coach to buy and what was a fair price. If you ask my DW she would say "to much time." I loved everything about the Tiffin and went to my dealer to buy a Phaeton. So why did I purchase the Itasca well they did not have a Phaeton to sell, the price for the Itasca was awesome, I was able to get more bells and whistles then I would have with a Phaeton and I really was motivated to buy. I am not disappointed with my coach but had I had the choice between the Phaeton and Itasca at the same price with the same extras I would have purchased the Phaeton.

Good luck with your search.
CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:57 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
We looked at the Fleetwood and the Phaeton in early 2009. I liked the Phaeton and it really looked well built. But the cost was so much more than the Fleetwood. I'm talking right at $100K . Both had the same engine, both had the same brand funiture, and appliances. Both on the same chassis . The flooring in the phaeton was better quality, the cabinets in the Pharton were better. Floor plan in both were the same. I had to go with the Fleetwood for the money. I know it is not as prestigious as the Phaeton. But it operates just as well. We have had little issues with the Fleetwood side of the coach, most of the issues we had were with the engine and the chassis, and they were small, and everyone stepped up and made them right. When I bought mine Fleetwood went into bankruptcy soon after, and when I had problems the new Fleetwood company honored all work, never an issue.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Both would work fine, customer service at Fleetwood is excellent.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #13

theinc06: I sold my 2009 Allegor Bus that I factory ordered due to too many problems. In fact I had over 100 issues in the first year. Tiffin has been dealing with many issues as of late including cracking roofs which they do not even know for sure if they have rectified the problem yet. Go visit: thetiffinnetwrok.com and spend some time there before making any decision. Do some historical seraches for: sagging tanks, cracked roofs, sagging roofs etc.

I think that Tiffin probably has the best customer service and warranty but their never mind their structural problems their overall general quality controls are pathetic.

Adam
Old 07-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #14

I'm new here also, Just wondering did you ever consider the Entegra, and if you did may I ask what took it out of the running??
iquailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, tiffin