Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2014, 09:02 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ray,

If you are still in Florida, then go to a Newmar dealer there. Newmar's dealer network is small but concentrated in Florida where a whole lot of motorhome sales happen.

What you are seeing in the various models is the result of product positioning. The Ventana is slotted in behind the Phaeton but ahead of the Allegro Reds in terms of features. The Dutch Star is slotted in ahead of the Phaeton but behind the Bus. Entegra does the same thing with their target being Newmar. Each of the manufacturers is trying to find a niche that appeals to the greatest number of customers.

We tried to look at Newmars before we bought the Phaeton. They have no dealers on the East Coast that stock the diesel pushers - at least nothing within a 400 mi radius of DC (where 75% of the US population lives). The first time we saw them was at the Tampa show this year. We were not impressed with the floorplans or the interiors so we would not of chosen them anyway.

luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Hey Roger and Mary

We are still in Florida, but just barely. We just got to St. George Island State Park. At each stop I checked to see how far a Newmar or Tiffin dealers were. They was always over a hour drive away, so we did not go to any of them. We will be here for 3 nights and then head to Ft. Pickens and then on over to Gulf State Park before heading home.

We are pretty sure we will be going fulltime being we have enjoyed this trip so much.

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #17

It seems to me like the majority of Newmar buyers custom order their coaches, thus you don't see many on dealers' lots. Newmar is so open and flexible on their builds, most people opt to build their own custom coach.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Ray,

If you are still in Florida, then go to a Newmar dealer there. Newmar's dealer network is small but concentrated in Florida where a whole lot of motorhome sales happen.

What you are seeing in the various models is the result of product positioning. The Ventana is slotted in behind the Phaeton but ahead of the Allegro Reds in terms of features. The Dutch Star is slotted in ahead of the Phaeton but behind the Bus. Entegra does the same thing with their target being Newmar. Each of the manufacturers is trying to find a niche that appeals to the greatest number of customers.

We tried to look at Newmars before we bought the Phaeton. They have no dealers on the East Coast that stock the diesel pushers - at least nothing within a 400 mi radius of DC (where 75% of the US population lives). The first time we saw them was at the Tampa show this year. We were not impressed with the floorplans or the interiors so we would not of chosen them anyway.
Carefully read the underlined. If Im spending the money you are talking about, I buy a plane ticket. You appear not to have been interested from the get go.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Ray,

Roger,
You must not have looked at Tom Johnson in NC

RV Inventory at Tom Johnson Camping Center,Marion NC,Concord NC,Recreation Vehicle Dealer,RV Dealer
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:13 PM   #20

It depends upon what criteria you are ranking them on. If we are looking at a total package, top of the roof to the rubber meeting the road, including the internal workings of the motorhomes I would say that Tiffin Phaeton would be behind both of the Newmar products but pretty close to the Ventana.

Personally I would say that you are comparing two different philosophies of coach building so it makes it tough. Newmar doesn't sacrifice function and sometimes that gets in the way of "form", while Tiffin focuses of form instead of function. To many people glitz and glamor sell while others willing to spend more on the foundation and proper engineering.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:45 PM   #21

Little different perspective here. We have a 2012, 37' big name gasser that handles horribly in anything more than a light breeze. We will likely upgrade to a DP. In talking to lots of owners, tag axles seem to offer the most stability. Newmar offers that on a 40'er with their Comfort Drive - which owners just rave about! While my wife will insist on a beautiful coach (our current coach was delivered to So Cal from Savannah to get the exact coach in the exact color combs she wanted) my focus is on the safest driving characteristics possible. My understanding is that the Phaeton offers a tag in the 42'ers. I'm told that 42' and above requires a special license here in California. We are still looking at our options, but for us, the Newmar (and since I'm a Seinfeld fan, I call them Newmans) are coming out ahead of the Tiffins.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:46 PM   #22
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
Newmar doesn't sacrifice function and sometimes that gets in the way of "form", while Tiffin focuses of form instead of function. To many people glitz and glamor sell while others willing to spend more on the foundation and proper engineering.
Steve, if you are accusing Tiffin of focusing on glitz and glamor, then you haven't looked at them very closely at all. Tiffin puts quality & function first. My Allegro RED was the entry level diesel pusher in the Tiffin line in 2010, but it still has solid wooden cabinets, more storage than other brands MH's that are 4 feet longer, stacked/washer dryer, complete TV-DVD-Sound entertainment system, huge storage tanks, 2000 watt inverter/charger and everything else that is functional. It just doesn't have the glitz & bells and whistles of the more expensive MH's.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Have to agree with Pushedaround.
Our 2011 entry level Tiffin gasser is very well built and trouble free for 3 years aside from the normal little things. We use it once a month or more.
It also had many nice features others at the price point did not.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Do the Newmar brands have issues with their doors or under-powered windshield wipers. The two items bug the hell out of me.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #25
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Do the Newmar brands have issues with their doors or under-powered windshield wipers. The two items bug the hell out of me.
Don't know what door problems you are having, but for the wipers, just drop down from the ridiculously large and expensive 32"ers to 28"s. Readily found at any auto store, covers all of the windshield that you need, and if your wiper motors are underpowered (mine don't seem to be) then the lower drag of the smaller wiper blades will really help.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Don't know what door problems you are having, but for the wipers, just drop down from the ridiculously large and expensive 32"ers to 28"s. Readily found at any auto store, covers all of the windshield that you need, and if your wiper motors are underpowered (mine don't seem to be) then the lower drag of the smaller wiper blades will really help.
I did that already, but they are still ridiculously slow.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:29 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post

Newmar doesn't sacrifice function and sometimes that gets in the way of "form", while Tiffin focuses of form instead of function. To many people glitz and glamor sell while others willing to spend more on the foundation and proper engineering.
SteveNSteph,

Boy are you off the mark with that comment. Tiffin's are positively plain janes compared to Newmars. Tiffin's focus is on livability and interior storage. Solid wood cabinets are stained wood, not painted. Decorations are minimal. On the Newmars we looked at at the Tampa SuperShow we saw small storage cabinets,, painted cabinets, odd layouts. Just my opinion.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
We were looking last Spring and they didn't have a single Newmar DP in inventory.

Tags
dutch star, newmar, tiffin, vent