Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2014, 06:15 AM   #1

Tiffin Phaeton equals Newmar Ventana or Dutch Star??

Which Newmar models are the equals to a Phaeton? The Ventana is about the same cost and the Dutch Star is $50,000+ more.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2014, 03:22 PM   #2

99 views and no opinions!!!
Old 05-29-2014, 03:30 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I'd say that the Phaeton slots somewhere between the two, more towards the Dutch Star. You tend to get a little more for your money with Tiffin.

Couldn't let it go over 100 views without a comment.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:56 PM   #4

We looked at several coaches before deciding on the Phaeton 42LH, including the Dutch Star and Ventana and A few others. Since everyone is different I can only speak for my self.
With the Phaeton I seemed to get more for the dollars spent. I did not see anything on the Dutch Star that justified the extra expense. Of course I can also say that about the Allegro Bus we looked at. The Ventana just didn't have the same feel to it. Can't put my finger on it but the Phaeton just simple felt better and was all electric with heated floors to boot.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:13 AM   #5

OK my two cents. When we were looking Tiffin was at the top of my list, with Newmar a close second. I made a point of talking with owners of both, and the same subject kept coming up with the Tiffin owners. How great Tiffin was in fixing problems. To get things fixed properly all they had to do was travel to Red bay, AL. and Tiffin would more than happily take care of anything that might be wrong. I kept hearing this, but I never once talked to any Newmar owners who had to travel to Nappanee where they are built to get things fixed. Hmmmm I thought, I don't want to go to Red Bay, in some instances a yearly thing, to get problems taken care of. So we bought a Dutch Star, and in 4yrs. of fulltiming we've never been to Nappanee. Ok flame on.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:24 AM   #6

I know I will upset the Ventana owners.. BUT .. I've worked on many and in my opinion the Ventana is an extremely cheapened version to create another price point that falls wayyyy under the Dutch Star. As Selah mentions above, it simply doesn't have the same "feel" to it. Im a loyal Newmar owner but if given the choice between a Phaeton and a Ventana in the same model year range, I would take the Phaeton without hesitation. Given the choice between a Dutch Star and an Allegro Bus would be more difficult and require a bit more investigation and comparison.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:07 AM   #7

There is so much more than price when making a selection. I am on second Tiffin and Never been to RB for a repair. I have a close friend with a dutch star that would burn his to the ground rather than stick anyone with the problems he has encountered.
Floor plans, Resale, factory assistance long after the warranty has expired.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:42 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I would actually place the Phaeton at step above the Ventana and a Step below the Dutch Star.
Dutch Star has the larger ISL engine, Oaisis heating, side radiator and a few extra upgrades.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:24 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
I would actually place the Phaeton at step above the Ventana and a Step below the Dutch Star.
Dutch Star has the larger ISL engine, Oaisis heating, side radiator and a few extra upgrades.
+1 I'm fairly certain Ventana doesn't have tile floors or all wood cabinets either, and unless Phaeton adds Girard awnings on their 2015 model they are behind the Dutch Star on that too.

We have a Phaeton now & are looking to move "up" to a Dutch Star next. Both are great quality but Newmar's offering 7 43ft floorplans vs. Tiffin's 1. I also understand Newmar's much more flexible about customizations (moving cabinets, paint colors, etc) during the build process.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:21 PM   #10

I have not looked at many Ventana's and Dutch Star's, but have looked at a lot of Phaetons. Where we live at there is finally a Newmar dealer, but he has very few models to look at. Just by looking at the pictures of the Ventana's they look cheap. A good example is the dining booth. The floor plans as well as the cost are our main shopping features we look at. The Ventana is closer (if not less) than the Phaeton in the cost, but the Dutch Star is quite a bit more than the Phaeton. I was thinking that maybe I was being biased toward the Phaeton, being I currently have a Tiffin.

We are on the road and have even been trying to find RV dealers close by to look at some models, but I have not had much luck yet.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:08 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Newmar's Kountry Star, which they nolonger make, was a very equal rig to the Phaeton. I've looked at the Ventana and for the money wouldn't buy one and you are right, it's not even close. I'm a loyal Newmar owner and feel it's a toss up between the them and Tiffin. Always love the Phaetons but wound up with a Kountry Star on a Mountain Master Spartan Chassis and have been very happy.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts 2006 Kountry Star 3910KSDP
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:30 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We only looked at two brands, Tifffin and Newmar. I always liked Newmar, but hated their plain interiors.....until the last couple of model years. When we were looking, I rated the Phaeton the same as the Ventana. The Allegro Bus the same as the Dutch Star.

We came close to buying a Ventana, which Newmar is willing to add almost any reasonable option to.....where most other companies are pretty strict in not making changes other than advertised options.

There were some things that I always wanted in a coach (side radiator, hydronic heating, power locking cargo bays and a few other items). So for an extra $30K we went with a loaded Dutch Star.

Newmar likes to brag about their "Comfort Drive" and I didn't know what to expect, but what a GREAT system. On our first big trip, we hit more wind than any other trip in 30 years. You could hardly tell the wind was blowing.

Lastly,,,,,not as a dig, but I to constantly read about great Tiffin service....just drive to Red Bay. How are people on the west coast suppose to just pack up and drive to Alabama.

The 2015 Dutch Stars just moved the awning to the roof line (Girard) to hide the A/C units and roof line. Tiffin already had this on their longer Allegro Bus, but the Dutch Stars are already rocking sales.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:00 AM   #13

I will have to get out and find some more Newmar dealers. We just got one about 40 miles away, but they have limited stock. I like the floorplan of the Ventana 4036, but they are not being made in 2015. Plus I have not found one to look at. All of these have to have the DW inspect for her interior storage space and counter space as well as enough exterior storage for me. This is hard being Newmar does not post any type of storage space amounts.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:34 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your doing the right thing by looking at actual coach's info in Brochures can be miss leading as to what a compartment may carry.
Here is everything Newmar.
In this link it will have how people made decisions on how and what they decided to do in purchasing their Newmars and which you can use for any coach.
In this link are pictures of a coach being built and in which all Newmar's are built on same floor by same Tech's.
Good luck in your quest for dream motor home which ever it is.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star, newmar, tiffin, vent